The Woodlands Curved Geometry

SpringTX

Cool. Would you mind posting a map showing the pattern? I'd be very interested in seeing this.

I went to MapQuest and entered 77380 and this is the first map it showed me:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?zipcode=77380

You can see the cul-de-sac ciliae which give the map a cracked appearance. You can the semi-circular thoroughfare of Millbend from which many of them sprout. And you can see the linear roads.

If you do zip code 77381 (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?zipcode=77381), and look especially on the eastern and northern portions of the map, you see most of the poorly-formed circle that is Panther Creek Drive and its twigs and branches. North of Lake Woodlands Drive, you can see Golden Shadow Circle Quiet Oak Circle, and Shadowpoint Circle each have a similar effect.

I went to MapQuest and entered 77380 and this is the first map it showed me:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?zipcode=77380

You can see the cul-de-sac ciliae which give the map a cracked appearance. You can the semi-circular thoroughfare of Millbend from which many of them sprout. And you can see the linear roads.

If you do zip code 77381 (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?zipcode=77381), and look especially on the eastern and northern portions of the map, you see most of the poorly-formed circle that is Panther Creek Drive and its twigs and branches. North of Lake Woodlands Drive, you can see Golden Shadow Circle Quiet Oak Circle, and Shadowpoint Circle each have a similar effect.

Sorry, but I'm not seeing it.

Sorry, but I'm not seeing it.

It's ok. Your idea is on a whole nother level from everything in existence today. If a designer hasn't attempted a city based on triangles in 5,000 years of human history, I can't imagine anyone ever attempting one based on a pre-designed, naturally-generated fractal pattern. Some ideas are just too advanced for everyday use, I guess. Maybe people don't like to try complicated things out of fear of failure.

It's ok. Your idea is on a whole nother level from everything in existence today. If a designer hasn't attempted a city based on triangles in 5,000 years of human history, I can't imagine anyone ever attempting one based on a pre-designed, naturally-generated fractal pattern. Some ideas are just too advanced for everyday use, I guess. Maybe people don't like to try complicated things out of fear of failure.

...lack of financing, actually.

Would a simple street plan based on, say, triangles be that much more expensive than a street plan based on rectangles?

3 sides instead of 4 = 25% fewer sides :)

It has fewer sides but more paved land area. I think that the ideal pattern would fit hexagonal shapes together in the most efficient pattern, which would leave triangular gaps between them that would total one seventh the size of each hexagon. Short cul-de-sacs would penetrate each of the component six trangles that make up each of the hexagons. The triangular excess would be park land and every cul-de-sac would empty onto one of the parks. The pattern also encourages very efficient traffic flow and pedestrian movements within the neighborhood.

When I mentioned financing though, I was really referring to the problems that a lot of folks face in trying to finance a project that is unique. Lenders tend to shy away from uniqueness because such projects carry risk that is difficult to quantify.