Hurricane Prediction

Spencer Street

The hurricane made landfall on the western end of Galveston. I believe it tracked along Highway 6. As it passed through Houston, it generally ran between Highway 6 and Beltway 8, even though the eye covered a large section of the city.

I'll look for an article to support my belief.

Probably not the level of detail you're looking for, but this does show Alicia's track being west of downtown.

http://chps.sam.usace.army.mil/USHESdata/A...a/Fig2-3a-b.htm

Also, there is a pretty cool historical storm track GIS viewer on the National Hurrican Center website where you can zoom in pretty far on the storm track. See the attachment.

post-1047-1212061213_thumb.jpg

Oh well. Alls I know is that my parents were in Mission Bend, had power and didn't suffer any damage. The same thing goes for friends in Woodlake. On the other hand, the inner-loop was toe up.

Why is it alway hot as hell after a hurricane?

It can get hot before and after a hurricane b/c the air around the outside of a hurricane is sinking... sinking air warms. Sinking air also leads to clearer skies... more sunshine... warmer temperatures.

Why is it alway hot as hell after a hurricane?
Because they generally happen in the summer.

Awesome!

The hurricane made landfall on the western end of Galveston. I believe it tracked along Highway 6. As it passed through Houston, it generally ran between Highway 6 and Beltway 8, even though the eye covered a large section of the city.

I'll look for an article to support my belief.

I distinctly remember Ch. 13's Ed Brandon saying that the eye (or at least, the very center of it) went up along 610 west and followed the freeway up from at least S. Post oak/610 up until past 610/I10. Probably one of the reasons (in addition to all those rocks/pebbles on some of the roofs) that downtown suffered such extensive damage to windows.

The Atlantic M name is Marco this year, and in the Pacific the P name is Polo. I am way too excited about the possibility that those two storms happen simultaneously.

For real? It's probably bad karma, but I think I'm right there with you.

All I know is, it's June very soon, and Jim Cantore is tanned, rested and ready.Probably even had a little extra bleach on the teeth this off-season. God, I love The Weather Channel talent.

The Atlantic M name is Marco this year, and in the Pacific the P name is Polo. I am way too excited about the possibility that those two storms happen simultaneously.

LOL. :lol:

OMG, that would be so bizarre. I know I'd be making jokes (to the annoyance of people on here and my friends) to no end if that happened.

I used to want to name lipstick colors for a living. Now I want to name storms.

First Atlantic storm........... Aquanetta. 'My house fell apart, but damn, my hair stayed up.'

edit: hey 20thstdad, nice new photo! I don't even have a baby, and want one of those i pood shirts. Where did you get you that? I just found my all-purpose baby shower gift.

Archived