Moving to Houston Soon -- Need HELP!

I am going to be starting a new job in the Houston area in a few weeks. My job will be downtown around Mc Gowen and 59. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas where I should find a place to live in Houston. I am looking for an apartment in a nice safe area. I will be living alone so safety is a big issue for me. I also would like it to be convienent to downtown but at a reasonable price. Not too sure I can afford anything inside the 610 loop from the way it looks by looking some apartment search websites online. Any help for from anyone would be great. I feel like I am so lost in looking for an apartment. I'm planning on heading into Houston on Tuesday to look at some apartments.

I am going to be starting a new job in the Houston area in a few weeks. My job will be downtown around Mc Gowen and 59. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas where I should find a place to live in Houston. I am looking for an apartment in a nice safe area. I will be living alone so safety is a big issue for me. I also would like it to be convienent to downtown but at a reasonable price. Not too sure I can afford anything inside the 610 loop from the way it looks by looking some apartment search websites online. Any help for from anyone would be great. I feel like I am so lost in looking for an apartment. I'm planning on heading into Houston on Tuesday to look at some apartments.

Might I ask for your price range?

I am looking for an apartment in a nice safe area. I will be living alone so safety is a big issue for me. I also would like it to be convienent to downtown but at a reasonable price.

Welcome to Houston. If safety is a big concern, crime can still happen at "gated" apartment complexes. don't get a false sense of safety just because it is gated, you have an alarm etc. A great friend from college was murdered just before Christmas and she had alarm, gated townhome complex, etc.

whenever you do pinpoint a few places you can look at HPD Crime statistics to determine whether your area is relatively safer.

Edited by musicman

I do this quite often (look at my website) and can offer quite a bit of advice, but there are alot of factor's that need to be taken into consideration.

While crime has increased a bit in Houston, it's still a safe city of it's size and as people can attest on here, crime has been from the inner city to out in the 'burbs. Unless you come from a town like Fargo, ND you shouldn't be surprised.

depending on your price range, you can rent a place with a relative short term lease until you find something that is more along the lines of what you want as you get to know the city.

Also take into account what you like to do in your off days, while you may work in downtown, you may have activities that are either IN town or those that require a bit of isolation.

My price range is about 400 - 500 for a 1/1. I don't know if thats very realistic for Houston or not. I would be willing to pay a little more if there were some bills included in the rent for the apartment. I also am looking for a nice area as well. Even 550 would be do able.

If you are expecting a nice new complex, you probably won't find it for $400-500, even in the suburbs. However, there some some pretty neat smaller apartments inside the Loop, as well as garage apartments that can be found for $500 or so. The tradeoff is older place with fewer amenities for affordability and closeness.

To find places like that, look in the Houston Press or the Houston Chronicle. The websites are www.houstonpress.com and www.chron.com.

While we all have different ideas of what is safe, most people generally agree that the Heights and Montrose are safer. Generally, if you are west of I-45 and US 288 inside the Loop, you aren't doing too bad. Remember, though, that Houston is quirky with it's neighborhoods. There can be rough spots right next to great ones. As you narrow things down, post them here. Someone will know the area.

My price range is about 400 - 500 for a 1/1. I don't know if thats very realistic for Houston or not. I would be willing to pay a little more if there were some bills included in the rent for the apartment. I also am looking for a nice area as well. Even 550 would be do able.

RedScare is correct. Something safe in the $400s isn't out there. There are a few OK places out there for $500, but it'll take some effort.

As luck would have it, I've got a 1/1 600sf condo near the Texas Medical Center (less than 15 minutes from Downtown) that I'm going to move out of once I close on a house elsewhere. I bought in when prices were pretty low and want to hang on to it for a few more years and lease it out in the interrim.

I'm prepared to lease it at-cost, as my primary motivation is appreciation of value. My proposed rent equals the mortgage payment and taxes ($394.68) plus HOA fees ($167.98), or $562.66 per month. Security deposit is equal to only one month's rent. The HOA pays for trash removal, water, and cable TV, which is what really makes the unit a good deal aside from its location. Appliances include W/D units, ceramic-topped stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher. Amenities in the One Montreal Place complex include tennis courts, pools, covered parking, and a perimeter fence with a guard on-duty at night.

This complex has a whole lot of medical students in it and a few UH and TSU students here and there. There is also some middle-income medical staff (large Asian/Indian population) and a small elderly population. Not too many kids, except for within the Asian population.

The one important caveat is that if an appliance breaks or there is damage to the unit, I will replace/fix it, but will also have a depreciation schedule as part of the lease agreement so that the tenant shares in the prorated replacement cost in a fair and equitable way. That is to say, if the appliance breaks one month before the lease is up, only one month's worth of depreciation is due. I know its a little complicated, but I have to be able to cover my costs.

I'd be hesitant to show you the unit right now because 1) it is far from tidy at the moment and 2) I really need to have a contractor install wood/tile floors and fix a few other minor things before it is leased...and once that's done, it'll look like a whole different space. I would gladly let you pick out the color scheme for walls and cabinets, though.

Interested? If so, PM me.

for that price range, i would check out houstonpress.com or craigslist

and keep an eye open for a place in a small complex or garage apartment.

your best bet for distance will probably be in montrose or the heights.

i work in the museum district/medical center area and live in the gulfgate area (45 s and 610) and pay significantly cheaper rent (and about a seven mile drive).

the crime isn't bad, although it looks seedy, but even the seven mile commute to work gets on my nerves (i was meant to live closer and pay more :rolleyes: ).

if you don't mind sharing, from where are you moving?

Edited by sevfiv

I am from a small town. I lived in College Station for 3 years while I attended A&M. I know I know. .. its nothing like Houston but still CS is bigger than from where I'm originally from. I've been looking at some apartments in the Galleria area and the Heights. I have to go to Houston tomorrow to sign my offer letter and take a drug test with the company.

TheNiche -- I'm looking to move within the next two weeks because I start my job in two weeks. So I dunno if you would be out of there by then.

I am from a small town. I lived in College Station for 3 years while I attended A&M. I know I know. .. its nothing like Houston but still CS is bigger than from where I'm originally from. I've been looking at some apartments in the Galleria area and the Heights. I have to go to Houston tomorrow to sign my offer letter and take a drug test with the company. So while I'm in town tomorrow I'm going to go look around at some apartments and then maybe go back to Houston on Tuesday to look some more.

TheNiche -- I'm looking to move within the next two weeks because I start my job in two weeks. So I dunno if you would be out of there by then.

Yeah, that could be a big problem. I'm sorry it didn't work out perfectly, but if you happen to have any friends coming into town after graduation, I'd be grateful if you'd pass word along. The place has still got good bang for the buck.

So I never really got any help on my question. So price range is no more than 600 a month without bills and a little more if some bills are paid. Anyone know of any good apt complexes within the loop?? Or right outside the loop?? (My job is going to be off Mc Gowen and 59 and then they are moving to Bayou Place around October.)

Edited by crownchick05

A friend of mine had this pretty nice apartment off of Memorial drive near the High School for Criminal Justice and St Thomas High school(I think) near Shepard DR(near River Oaks) straight shot down memorial would take you into downtown. Anyways he liked it and I was considering it after I got back. It's inside the loop. I believe he was paying about $550 for a one bedroom(I think he went through an apartment locator to get that price). The complex is gated, has a swimming pool, hot tub, gym, tennis courts, covered parking, near the park/bayou, the complex is relatively middle aged and well maintained. There are plenty of young professionals and college students there. Seems very safe, he and his neigbors would often leave their doors unlocked.

He got out of his lease when we got deployed. He now lives in Austin but soon realized how much he hated living there so he'll be moving back soon

Sorry can't think of the name of it.

PS welcome to Houston :D

Okay I think this is it

Bayou Park Village

4400 Memorial Dr.

HOUSTON, TX 77007

Fax: (713)-868-3320

Call : (888)-274-2904

Here's a sight with pictures I still think you can get a better deal going through someone else....well my friend did.

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

CrownChick,

I lived in these apartments for 2+ years. Great complex, kinda basic when it comes to the amenities however the units are nice, located almost on the Park (Memorial Park), walking distance to great places to eat, very nice and cheap. I have a friend who lives there now and it's difficult for him to decide to move since he is right at the park and it's so cheap and close to everything. Check it out and welcome to Houston.

http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/fyp/sear...E816CEB59A938C4

Scharpe St Guy

So I never really got any help on my question. So price range is no more than 600 a month without bills and a little more if some bills are paid. Anyone know of any good apt complexes within the loop?? Or right outside the loop?? (My job is going to be off Mc Gowen and 59 and then they are moving to Bayou Place around October.)

I think the reason you haven't received specific complexes is that there are very few that would fit your needs. An opinion was offered to check out Craigslist or the Houston Press, and I will second that. Dollar-for-dollar you will generally get more space renting from a landlord and staying away from the complexes with their pools and ameneities you don't need or care about. It will also offer you the opportunity to get into a nicer area than you could afford going with a complex. For example:

From HAR.com

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...=0&backButton=Y

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...=0&backButton=Y

From Craigslist:

http://houston.craigslist.org/apa/161442906.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/apa/161230524.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/apa/161032883.html

An option might be found here:

http://www.southunionplace.com/index.htm

It's affordable, but you must be within a certain income range. A 1-bdrm (730 sf) ranges from $470-$660/month depending on your income. Water/sewer is included, but renter pays electricity, cable, telephone, etc.

I live in the neighborhood right behind this complex, and the neighborhood is fine. This apartment complex sits right on Scott Street, though, and this part of Scott isn't the best.

There's another complex further back in our neighborhood, Parkside Point Apartments, that runs the same kind of income-based program. I believe they are comparable to the South Union Place Apartments. The Parkside Point Apts. were just built in the last year or so. Here's the only info I've found on them: http://www.residentapproved.com/community/...asp?cust=174728.

Parkside Point are definitely more secluded, off the main drag of Scott Street. Given the choice, I like the Parkside Point location better than the South Union Place location. We're around the corner from Parkside Point, and don't know of any problems there.

Crownchick,

RPS is talking about the same complex I provided the link too. My friend is here at my place right now and he may purchase a listing I have of another friend in the Heights and his lease at Memorial Club is till October. He is paying $550/month, Electric $50 and Cable $30 a month.

So now I have a deal for you!!! I would like to sell one of my listings but this friend would need his apartment lease taken over by another individual or else he is obligated for the term. So how does this sound he has 5 months left on his lease I will reduce the rent to $450/month for the remainder of the term (5 Months). This would give you a chance to explore Houston, have a cheap housing payment and see if you like the neighborhood which is (REALLY NICE) this is an area that has gone through a total redevelopment and is a very prime area of Houston to live in.

Please let me know ASAP if you would be interested.

Thanks,

Scharpe St Guy

Memorial Club on Westcott might be an option too. You can walk to Memorial Park from your apartment, maybe 3 blocks.

Well guys. .. Thanks for all your help!! I actually went on Tuesday and started an application at Memorial Club Apartments. I feel in love with the property and the model they show is gorgeous. I'm just waiting to hear from the guy I talked to. I called yesterday and he had ran my background and credit check and all was fine there (My credit score was 708, Yeah me!!). He said he was the only one there yesterday and didn't get much done, so he has to do check employment and rental history today. So I'll know today for sure if I got the apt or not.

Scharpe St Guy: Who is your friend going through for cable and electric at Memorial Club?? (If you know)

Edited by crownchick05

Crownchick,

That is a great place. I lived there for almost three years I loved it, safe, close to everything and it has only gotten better since I was there. Now they have that traffic circle and some excellent places to eat within 1/2 mile.

What is the rental price? One bedroom or two? I believe that Cable is through a company that only serves Apartment communities. Not sure you have the option of say Time Warner but I would imagine you could get DishNetwork if your apartment area could obtain the view angle it would require.

When are you moving?

Scharpe St. Guy

Well guys. .. Thanks for all your help!! I actually went on Tuesday and started an application at Memorial Club Apartments. I feel in love with the property and the model they show is gorgeous. I'm just waiting to hear from the guy I talked to. I called yesterday and he had ran my background and credit check and all was fine there (My credit score was 708, Yeah me!!). He said he was the only one there yesterday and didn't get much done, so he has to do check employment and rental history today. So I'll know today for sure if I got the apt or not.

Scharpe St Guy: Who is your friend going through for cable and electric at Memorial Club?? (If you know)

CrownChick,

Shoot I offered you a one bedroom, take over the lease for $450 a month for the remainder of the term approx 5 months. My friend is paying $550/rent, $50 Electric, $30 Cable, Water is included in the rent price at least it was when I lived there and I didn't ask my friend.

All the best,

Scharpe St. Guy

590 for a one bedroom. I was just wondering around how much electric, cable and water would run a month.

Unless things have changed in recent years, you should be okay there. I would recommend the "904 side" over the west half with the 955 Wescott address. Parking is much easier on the 904 side. Make sure you are not behind one of the stairwells or it will be dark as a tomb.

You found a great place to call home Crown Chick. I lived on the 955 Side apartment 29 I loved it and the location. There was a time when I first moved there that I only worked about a mile away that was the best commute of my life.

Congrats!

Scharpe St Guy

Unless things have changed in recent years, you should be okay there. I would recommend the "904 side" over the west half with the 955 Wescott address. Parking is much easier on the 904 side. Make sure you are not behind one of the stairwells or it will be dark as a tomb.

The park/fitness side is 955 Westcott. Make sure you hire some movers, no elevators and getting a couch up the three flights will kill you or your friends!

Scharpe St Guy

Which side is the 904 side and which side is the 955 side?? I will be the side opposite from the leasing office. I will be in the building with the fitness center on the 3rd floor on the parking lot side.