14. The Boston Globe, 397,288, down 8.5 percent

15. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 365,011, down 6.7 percent

16. Star Tribune of Minneapolis-St. Paul, 362,964, down 2.9 percent

17. The Philadelphia Inquirer, 350,457, down 5.1 percent

18. Detroit Free Press, 345,861, up 0.04 percent

19. The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, 343,163, down 1.6 percent

20. St. Petersburg Times, Florida, 323,031, down 4.4 percent

Who cares?

Imo, most news in papers (aside from sports and financial) are full of editorial's and not journalism. It's amazing (especially with The NY Times and Washington Post) that what passes as journalism is in fact riddled with opinion.

Imo, most news in papers (aside from sports and financial) are full of editorial's and not journalism. It's amazing (especially with The NY Times and Washington Post) that what passes as journalism is in fact riddled with opinion.

How is that different than the post you just made?

I'm not a Post reader so I can't make a judgement there, but I read the Times almost every day. For you to make the statement you did shows that you're not a regular reader, just someone who aggregates the statements of others to form their opinions.

Just another step on the path to the day when the paper in newspaper is as outdated as the sail in setting sail.

Or the dial in dial-up Internet, let alone dial-up Internet itself.

Without Newspapers, the bums would have no BLANKETS ! Think about the poor Bums, what a selfish lot. <_<

Who cares?

Have you ever considered that maybe newspapers "riddled with opinion" might actually be a good thing? What are arguably the country's two best newspapers - the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal - are both famous for being strongly opinionated, but that doesn't mean they don't have good journalism. I much prefer a strongly opinionated quality paper, like the WSJ or NYT, to most newspapers that go out of their way to have no opinions one way or another and thereby end up as bland dreck (the Chronicle springs to mind). I read both the NYT and the WSJ and have no problem with either one's political leanings. They don't make any bones about it, and that's perfectly fair to the reader.

Remember, freedom of the press is all about the right to be as "riddled with opinion" as you please.

Back on topic, it is a little surprising to see the Chronicle that high on the list, right after the Chicago and the national papers, since this is about the 10th largest metro area. I guess what is more surprising is that the papers in larger metro areas, like Boston and San Francisco, are lagging. The numbers would be more meaningful if there were a way to incorporate online "circulation".

The numbers would be more meaningful if there were a way to incorporate online "circulation".
agreed. why subscribe when one can simply read the news online. as for online readership:
The Austin American-Statesman's Web sites had the greatest local reach among large U.S. newspaper sites, according to a new ranking of the 100 largest markets by the Newspaper Association of America.

Scarborough Research, which conducts the study, estimates that 31 percent of adults in the Austin metro area read statesman.com and/or austin360.com in a typical month.

"We're pleased that we're doing things right," said Jim Debth, Internet general manager for the Statesman. "We've always been very strong in this survey. But this is the first time we've been No. 1."

The next-highest-rated sites were The Washington Post (27 percent), San Diego Union-Tribune (23 percent) and San Antonio Express-News (21 percent).

Statesman.com also is a finalist for an EPpy award for best design of a news media Web site with fewer than 1 million monthly visitors.

"The redesign in December has gone a long way in improving viewership," Debth said.

Back on topic, it is a little surprising to see the Chronicle that high on the list, right after the Chicago and the national papers, since this is about the 10th largest metro area. I guess what is more surprising is that the papers in larger metro areas, like Boston and San Francisco, are lagging. The numbers would be more meaningful if there were a way to incorporate online "circulation".

I think the reason the Houston and Chicago numbers were so close is because Houston has a single large paper, and Chicago has two large papers. Some of the other papers listed are also in multi-paper markets, which will natrually bring their numbers down closer to those of single-paper markets.

Archived