China Clipper Restaurant At 1006 Milam St.

roym

Thought you all might like to see a menu I have from the China Clipper Restaurant. Thanks Subdude, for the suggestion.

Postcard posted by Subdude.

1006 Milam Street

Phone: Fairfax 1841

ChinaClipper.jpg

chinaclipper01a2bb.jpg

chinaclipper02c3zv.jpg

chinaclipper03a6hb.jpg

chinaclipper04a9os.jpg

Cool! Thanks! :D

Do you know from about when the menu dates?

The surprising thing to me is the variety of dishes, although most of the Chinese ones are variants on Chowmein and "Chop Suey". Check out the American section. In the meats alone they have different steaks, veal, pork, lamb, liver, ham, sausage, and chicken. There's even ten varieties of potato. I wonder why since then that most American restaurants have been reduced to selling nothing but the ol' chicken or beef? It seems odd that there is less variety on typical menus now then there was fifty years ago. I have noticed that restaurants in Europe still carry a huge number of types of meat entrees compared to here as well. Any of you meat-eaters know why that is?

Along with the huge variety, it is interesting to note the things that must have gone out of style for restaurants. Like sardines, tongue sandwich :blink: , and "Wop salad" :o.

Also, a lot of the Chinese items have "subgum" variants. What is subgum? Also, does anyone know what was "Denver sandwich" or "St Paul sandwich"? Apparently back then they were common enough that no explanation was needed.

It isn't dated. By the look of it and the prices, I would have to guess 1940s or early 1950s. I'll bet some fairly accurate date could be established if there were some sort of price index for Houston area prices through the years.

Also, does anyone know what years the China Clipper was open for business??

I noticed a couple of things NOT on the menu.... Where is the Egg Drop Soup and the General Tso's Chicken? :P

The surprising thing to me is the variety of dishes, although most of the Chinese ones are variants on Chowmein and "Chop Suey". Check out the American section. In the meats alone they have different steaks, veal, pork, lamb, liver, ham, sausage, and chicken. There's even ten varieties of potato. I wonder why since then that most American restaurants have been reduced to selling nothing but the ol' chicken or beef? It seems odd that there is less variety on typical menus now then there was fifty years ago. I have noticed that restaurants in Europe still carry a huge number of types of meat entrees compared to here as well. Any of you meat-eaters know why that is?

Along with the huge variety, it is interesting to note the things that must have gone out of style for restaurants. Like sardines, tongue sandwich :blink: , and "Wop salad" :o.

Also, a lot of the Chinese items have "subgum" variants. What is subgum? Also, does anyone know what was "Denver sandwich" or "St Paul sandwich"? Apparently back then they were common enough that no explanation was needed.

By the photo on the cover, the China Clipper was obviously named after the Pan American airplane. Found some links at the China Clipper plane:

Pan American World Airways

China Clipper History

According to the China Clipper site above, it was apparently one of three Martin M-130 "flying boats" built for Pan American Airways. It was used for a while by the Navy, carried uranium for the Manhattan Project, flown by Pan Am between Miami and Zaire and was finally destroyed in a bad landing in Trinidad in 1945.

In 1969, the Cole's Directory shows the only thing on that side of the street in the 1000 block was the Tennessee Building of 27 floors at 1010 Milam. HCAD does not list anything for the 1000 block of Milam today.

It isn't dated. By the look of it and the prices, I would have to guess 1940s or early 1950s. I'll bet some fairly accurate date could be established if there were some sort of price index for Houston area prices through the years.

Compare prices with this Hebert's Ritz menu from 1941. Since comparable items are a little higher on the China Clipper menu, I would guess its time-frame is mid-late 40's.

HebertsRitzMenu1.jpg

Also...Here is how the China Clipper was listed in the 1939 Houston phone directory. It was two blocks further north than the 1006 Milam address shown on the photo.

China Clipper Cafe

812 Milam

For Reservations: Fairfax 1841

Also note its location on the 1940 downtown map submitted by Subdude (Post #5) at this topic location..

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=5884

Awesome work 57Tbird - yeah I forgot about that map!

Compare prices with this Hebert's Ritz menu from 1941. Since comparable items are a little higher on the China Clipper menu, I would guess its time-frame is mid-late 40's.

HebertsRitzMenu1.jpg

Also...Here is how the China Clipper was listed in the 1939 Houston phone directory. It was two blocks further north than the 1006 Milam address shown on the photo.

China Clipper Cafe

812 Milam

For Reservations: Fairfax 1841

Also note its location on the 1940 downtown map submitted by Subdude (Post #5) at this topic location..

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=5884

Remembering defunct Chinese restaurants...when the cuisine was considered quite exotic...

In the 1940's-50's there was one called Ding How in a white stucco strip shopping center on South Main near Holcombe. It was a huge, cavernous space, dimly lit. Can't recall much about the food, though. A medical book store and a drugstore were in the same strip.

For many years there was a Chinese restaurant next to the River Oaks Theatre (before it became a multi-screen art house). A steady boyfriend and I went there often - dark, romantic interior and good food. Then one night we had to park behind the theatre building and I saw the back door of the restaurant and the kitchen! Filthy! The screen door was torn, had a rat-sized space under it and the cook was blowing his nose on his apron. I never ate there again. No doubt this was before the day of restaurant inspectors and Marvin Zindler's weekly Roach and Rat Report. Then again, maybe a little payola was involved.

Ding-How

DingHow.jpg

Ming Palace on West Gray

2011wgray.jpg

On that old 1940 map China Clipper is shown two blocks up on the 800 block of Milam, so it looks like they moved at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

Along with the huge variety, it is interesting to note the things that must have gone out of style for restaurants. Like sardines, tongue sandwich :blink: , and "Wop salad" :o .

Over here is a chain of Chinese fast food restaurants called Sun Wok. Are they also over there in Houston?

• 1 month later...

Found an image of the interior of the China Clipper restaurant:

clippership012yw.png

Also this text from the Houston Chamber of Commerce, February 1951:

The China Clipper specializes in Chinese foods of all kinds, including eggrolls, sweet and sour pork, Chinese barbecued spareribs, and a 101 other dishes. Here you may enjoy real Chinese cooking, and even use chopsticks if you prefer. Located at 1006 Milam, the China Clipper has a seating capacity of 150. The restaurant maintains 24 hour service.

So, it seems that a 1940 map showed the China Clipper at 800 Miliam, but by 1951 at least, they had moved to 1006 Milam.

Wow! You could even use chopsticks?! How exciting. :D

Seriously, great picture. Where did you find it?

From the Houston magazine that the Chamber of Commerce used to print.

• 2 weeks later...
Thought you all might like to see a menu I have from the China Clipper Restaurant. Thanks Subdude, for the suggestion.

Postcard posted by Subdude.

1006 Milam Street

Phone: Fairfax 1841

ChinaClipper.jpg

chinaclipper01a2bb.jpg

chinaclipper02c3zv.jpg

chinaclipper03a6hb.jpg

chinaclipper04a9os.jpg

A Chinese restaurant with Old English calligraphy.

• The title was changed to China Clipper Restaurant At 1006 Milam St.

Archived