HCTRA & TxDOT Fighting

toll road proposal draws fire

"The sum would apply to three tollways totaling more than 80 miles: 15 miles along U.S. 290 from Loop 610 to Huffmeister, 53 miles of the proposed Grand Parkway (Texas 99) from the Katy Freeway to the Eastex Freeway (this would include the Segment F-2 in the Spring area that is under contention), and 14 miles of the Sam Houston Tollway, extending it from the Eastex Freeway to U.S. 90."

Do we really need to connect 99 to Eastex?

The other two make sense, but are there really traffic patters from Katy to Clevland?

I was thinking the same thing. :blink:

I live on 99 and 10 (Cinco Ranch), and am very glad there's nothing in this proposal to toll 99 to 59. I use 99 to The Westpark toll road daily so that would just kill me. Also they've finished the fly over on 99 going East on The Westpark, it's very nice.

Actually, I've heard for quite a while now, that when the entire circular route is completed, that the entire thing will be tolled. So, I guess you can enjoy your toll-free days for now but I don't think they'll last.

Based on what is happening in Dallas-Fort Worth on SH 121, my guess is that TxDOT is not going to back down on its demand and the stalemate/standoff situation could go on indefinitely.

One option is that HCTRA will end its involvement in new tollways on the state system and leave the projects to TxDOT. TxDOT will then privatize the projects for maximum revenue (and maximum tolls).

The role of HGAC will be critical. In DFW, the local MPO (NCTCOG) is basically supporting TxDOT's position so local opposition (mainly Frisco) will get steamrolled. If HGAC opposes this demand, they can remove the projects from the local plan which would mean that TxDOT could not build them independently. Judge Eckels will probably be a decisive influence on what happens.

The best and only hope for stopping TxDOT's increasingly reprehensible behavior is to oust Governor Perry in November, since these policies are being ramrodded by his appointed toll henchmen.

As for the existing Grand Parkway, I would rate it unlikely that the freeway lanes will be tolled since recent legislation made it more difficult to toll existing freeways. However, the non-freeway section south of the Westpark Tollway will likely be taken over by the Fort Bend County Toll Road Authority and converted into a toll road. Once again, TxDOT could place a demand for an up-front fee which would be a big problem for FBCTRA since they don't have nearly the financial strength that HCTRA has. We could see TxDOT privatize the entire Grand Parkway.

Edited by MaxConcrete

Do we really need to connect 99 to Eastex?

The other two make sense, but are there really traffic patters from Katy to Clevland?

Ultimately, the most important thing about most new freeways is their future impact rather than their immediate impact. Historical case in point: SH 288.

SH 288 is a great example of good forward planning. The right of way is plenty big enough for future construction without having to acquire more land.

Looking for HCTRA/METRO and HGAC to push for HOT lanes in middle soon.

Now that TxDOT has gotten into the tolling business, it really put a cramp in HCTRA's style. Now Harris County has essentially two tolling authorities that can possible build roads, and HCTRA wants no part of it. HCTRA wants to handle Harris County on its own.

I support HCTRA building toll road before TxDOT. HCTRA is also fight with TxDOT to hammer a deal on the I-45 reconstruction from Downtown to Beltway 8 (north). HCTRA wants a similar agreement as in place on the Katy Freeway HOT lanes.

About 99 from Katy to US 59 (northeast side): You would be surprised at how many people would use this. Sure, it won't be for daily commute, but a lot of general traffic will use this since it'll connect the far northeast, northwest, and west together. Many people will drive the individual segments and not the entire thing.

• The title was changed to HCTRA & TxDOT Fighting