Cigarette tax

Whats going on with this? Do the politicians in this state not have enough of taxpayers dollars to squander already?

Many have said that this will actually cause the amount of taxes received to go down over the long run as people will stop or reduce smoking. In fact, many were quoted on TV as saying that because many people would stop and tax income would be lowered, that "this is a bad idea." So its a bad thing when people stop smoking, and the government should optimize taxes to maximize their income from smokers!? Crazy and shortsighted.

Jason

Politicos around the planet NEVER feel as tho the current tax is sufficent. It always has been and will continue to be there way of getting your attention and mo of your money.

Petitions to recall ALWAYS have zero impact as politicos NEVER, EVER reduce a previously increased tax. NEVER!

:angry::(:wacko:

Cigarettes recently went up to $78 a carton around here. I haven't noticed people smoking any less.

WHAT ? I am not a smoker, nor have I ever been,so I don't have a clue as to how much cigarettes cost, but $78 just sounds ridiculous. Are you pullin' my leg ? :angry2:

WHAT ? I am not a smoker, nor have I ever been,so I don't have a clue as to how much cigarettes cost, but $78 just sounds ridiculous. Are you pullin' my leg ? :angry2:

I'm not a smoker, either, but that's what was on the front page of the newspaper this week.

It listed the cheapest places in the area to get cigarettes. The cheapest place in Chicago was $77 and change.

Outside of the city it was in the $50's. Across the border in Indiana it was like $35. Most people I know who are smokers drive to Indiana to pick up cigarettes and Powerball tickets.

What is considered a carton? 1000 cigs?

I think it's 400 cigarettes. 20 packs of 20 cigarettes, right?

Again, I'm not a smoker. I'm trying to remember from when I was six and my mother would send me to the corner store to buy cigarettes for her.

BLASPHEMER ! :angry:

:D

Seriously, everyone seems so eager to go after the cigarettes sinners, why not go after the alcohol sinners? IMO, alcohol does much more harm than cigarettes. None of them want to touch alcohol because that's a particular sin that they themselves like. The glass of brandy on friday nights? That wine that they have to have with EVERY meal? That champagne on Holidays? That beer while watching their alma mater on Saturday afternoons? Most of them love to point the finger at particular sins that THEY themselves have no interest in. So it's easy to tax cigarettes when they have no interest in them. Let's try all forms of alcohol and see how that goes over.

I'm not a smoker or a drinker (no not even occasionally), but the attacks on cigarette smokers is totally hypocritical.

You're right about the hypocrisy, VelvetJ, except that they are already taxing alcohol, too. Alcohol and tobacco taxes are easy marks. But, the cigarette tax will backfire. Louisiana has only a 36 cent tax, compared to Texas' $1.41. Even with $3.00 gas, it will be cheaper to go there to get smokes. Savings on a carton of cigs will be $10.50.

In addition, bootleg smokes will begin showing up all over. That is why big increases in taxes cause tax revenue to drop.

:D

Seriously, everyone seems so eager to go after the cigarettes sinners, why not go after the alcohol sinners? IMO, alcohol does much more harm than cigarettes. None of them want to touch alcohol because that's a particular sin that they themselves like. The glass of brandy on friday nights? That wine that they have to have with EVERY meal? That champagne on Holidays? That beer while watching their alma mater on Saturday afternoons? Most of them love to point the finger at particular sins that THEY themselves have no interest in. So it's easy to tax cigarettes when they have no interest in them. Let's try all forms of alcohol and see how that goes over.

I'm not a smoker or a drinker (no not even occasionally), but the attacks on cigarette smokers is totally hypocritical.

The difference is, second hand alcohol drinking is not as wide a problem as second hand smoke. I heard there ARE a few folks in Montrose who like to drink second hand alcohol though. BLEH ! :lol::wacko:

Caution: this joke may go over some people's heads. Could be the just the guy telling the joke though. I apologize.

Edited by TJones

I know alcohol is already taxed but I'm saying tax it even more. Today more people drink than smoke so at least it would be a guaranteed revenue.

TJones, I'm with you on the second hand smoke but alcohol also has a way of affecting those who have not been drinking themselves, and can result in just as serious situations as second hand smoke on a non-smoker.

Can someone say $12 for a six pack? Hey look at it like this, it would still be cheaper than buying six beers at Minute Maid Park. ;)