Old Fire Station On Congress

I am looking for suggestions for this building. Would really like to meet someone w/ some fresh ideas as far as layouts and uses. It is up in the air right now and the only thing for sure is that the bricks will be re-pointed and windows will be installed. I am on a very limited budget (windows ate most of it), but can pay a little for elevations, floor plans ect.

It looks like it was originally a fire house and the layout upstairs would lend to this assumption as well. But it is not the case. The COH has no record of a fire house being there (and are sick of being asked). Possibly it was a private fire house, many RR's terminals were located w/in blocks of the site. The earliest bussines I could locate there was a "tin shop", but that was several years after construction.

CongressFront.jpg

I am looking for suggestions for this building. Would really like to meet someone w/ some fresh ideas as far as layouts and uses. It is up in the air right now and the only thing for sure is that the bricks will be re-pointed and windows will be installed. I am on a very limited budget (windows ate most of it), but can pay a little for elevations, floor plans ect.

It looks like it was originally a fire house and the layout upstairs would lend to this assumption as well. But it is not the case. The COH has no record of a fire house being there (and are sick of being asked). Possibly it was a private fire house, many RR's terminals were located w/in blocks of the site. The earliest bussines I could locate there was a "tin shop", but that was several years after construction.

CongressFront.jpg

Awesome! I've always wanted to live in a building like this as a single family home. The firehouse in Midtown makes me salivate.

Congrats!

man - you got it!

we were eyeing this place a while back:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/HAIF.....ost&p=39245

(current link here -dbigtex56

(if the link doesn't work, it is a thread called "Old City Hall Building," in the Historic Houston section).

too bad it isn't what everyone thought it was, though it is still a really neat place

congress.jpg

CongressFront.jpg

What are you planning to do with it? Live in it, or use it as a business?

Am planning on live up work down. Most likely two units. The layout would work if up was all one space and down was another, minus the garage for up. But I'm betting it would be more feasible to do a left/right split. The right unit could have an alley entrance, the left would use the existing door. They could both have a garage/huge studio space down and living up. Maybe even a third level, small and not visible from the street. We've opened up most of the upstairs, left all supporting walls until they can be re-worked. I have a general idea of what I'd like to do, but would like it on paper and need someone who can put together a presentable floor plan & site plan. Also REALLY need a architect/artist/cad rendering of the exterior for further funding of this and a complementary project in the same area.

FHwksm.jpg

fhclsm.jpg

Just walked past this place a few weeks ago - the whole block is great! Glad to see that someone who's sympathetic with the architecture got it.

Probably the two bays on the first floor is what's causing people to assume that this was once a firehouse. Will keep an eye out for more information on this building and pass it along if I find anything.

If I may be so bold, who's helping with the funding? Glad to see that someone's helping out those who save our older buildings.

Just walked past this place a few weeks ago - the whole block is great! Glad to see that someone who's sympathetic with the architecture got it.

Probably the two bays on the first floor is what's causing people to assume that this was once a firehouse. Will keep an eye out for more information on this building and pass it along if I find anything.

If I may be so bold, who's helping with the funding? Glad to see that someone's helping out those who save our older buildings.

Thnx, Funding is private. I am an evil Realtor and am pooling favors. They all want to see profit though. I am lucky enough to have worked w/ the same group before on an other project. As long as the balance sheet is green I have lots of leeway. I have renovated several houses, and have always been lucky enough to have the walls all laid out for me. I just get them back in shape. That is why this one is such a bear. I can see the outsides, but am worthless as far as clean slates go. I have no idea if this is realistic, but my dream would be to find an Architect student @ UH that is looking to get his/her name on a project, that might have some decent exposure. I am trying to do it w/ another project on the Eastside and the pair would really stand out.

Last project;

stuartside1.jpg

stuartside2.jpg

Last project;

stuartside1.jpg

stuartside2.jpg

Veering off topic (nice job, btw) is it possible that this house was built from one of the Sears plans/kits? We have another thread on HAIF devoted to them. Is it in Houston?

GEORGEOUS RENO!

I have zero experience in any of that stuff...but a whole lotta interest :>

There are infinate possibilites with that space! Loft first pops into mind...but then with such a neat exterior, it would be fun to really challenge it! Whatever you do...keep those funky, 2 level windows!

A common entry can be used to have both units use the front door.

GEORGEOUS RENO!

I have zero experience in any of that stuff...but a whole lotta interest :>

There are infinate possibilites with that space! Loft first pops into mind...but then with such a neat exterior, it would be fun to really challenge it! Whatever you do...keep those funky, 2 level windows!

A common entry can be used to have both units use the front door.

Not two level windows, 3 windows and 2 doors, same in back. There used to be a walkway and roof extending over the sidewalk (confirmed on the old Sandborns). Want to put it back but don't know about permiting w/ COH? They've let La Carafe do it and many others along Main. Anyone have any experience?

Infinate, yes, that is the prob. Need some focus.

Common entry just won't work for two units (hard to explain, would have to see) Would work for 3. Two up, common stairs & entry hall, front doors facing each other, left side garage shared. One unit down, side ally entrance and all of right garage. But really only want two, well really want one but that won't $$$work$$$.

Also, am hell bent on side entrance, alley is as wide as $600K townhouse I sold years ago (as selling agent) and it was really cool, like London or New Orelans. See pic

DbigTex56-House wasn't Sears, might have been Montalbano, they sold kits as well, but suspect it was just built. Near Elgin & LaBranch in Midtown. New owner has painted it, installed classy front door and matching Loews windows. At least I stopped it from being torn down.

DSCF0021.jpg

i recommend to get professional help. if you are adding occupancy, you are required to provide necessary parking space (per ibc houston ammendments) unless you have connections in COH... also, you may not be planning to do this but if you want to provide commercial space downstairs, you need to accommodate ADA requirements and get really messy if you don't know what you are doing. adding 3rd floor on 2 story building may or may not need structural work. i don't think architecture students are up to it, but if you can talk to one of the professors (especially professors teaching upper level) and make this project their semester project. it is beneficial not only for you getting free advice but for students, in my opinion.

i guess it's all up to you. :lol:

They've let La Carafe do it and many others along Main. Anyone have any experience?

Go talk to Carolyn Wenglar at Warren's Inn. She owns La Carafe too and will definitely be willing to talk about her experiences with the City of Houston.

building may or may not need structural work. i don't think architecture students are up to it, but if you can talk to one of the professors (especially professors teaching upper level) and make this project their semester project. it is beneficial not only for you getting free advice but for students, in my opinion.

i guess it's all up to you. :lol:

I do appreciate all replys. Does any one know the names of sympathetic UH Profs or have any contact info. If not I am not beyond just stopping by (am in sales, not shy). As for experience. I'm not looking for construction drawings or engineering right now. Just some ideas and esp basic (or better) renderings to get things rolling and I do have a small budget to spend on them. Any takers?

These people can probably point you toward someone young and hungry (or better still, experienced but willing to work with your budget):

Barry Moore teaches the UH architecture class on historic preservation -- hands-on stuff, some of it, not just identifying the styles and documenting the things scheduled for demolition. Try leaving a message at UH's architecture department (he's there parttime); or at his day job at Gensler Architects. (He might also be able to help you identify the building.)

Lynn Edmundson at Historic Houston (713-522-0542) could probably steer you toward someone sympathetic and cheap. She's got lots of real-world contacts and would probably love to recommend someone who'd specify using some of the cheap, lovely salvaged materials in Historic Houston's warehouse.

At Rice's architecture department, Nonya Grenader or Danny Samuels both work with design-build classes -- the tiny bit of hands-on, real-world experience that students get at school. Sometimes the projects involve historic buildings or places, like Project Rowhouses.

Also: Patrick Peters sometimes teaches design-build classes at UH.

--LG, who's been lurking too long

I do appreciate all replys. Does any one know the names of sympathetic UH Profs or have any contact info. If not I am not beyond just stopping by (am in sales, not shy). As for experience. I'm not looking for construction drawings or engineering right now. Just some ideas and esp basic (or better) renderings to get things rolling and I do have a small budget to spend on them. Any takers?

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Old Fire Station On Congress

Archived