Best Neighorhood for Minority Families

Part of Riverside Terrace is zoned to an Exlempary TEA rated school - Lockhart Elementary. The school is a magnet school for Math/Science and Technology. The school is 98% African American. At the magnet program Open House many parents were interested in the math/science and technology aspect of the school and the fact it was a TEA rated school got people really excited. When they heard it was 98% African American they literally ran from the table. It is perception that a "Good School" cannot have > 10% minority, any number higher than that and the phenomena "White Flight" sets in. Already happening in some of the suburbs.

There needs to be balance I believe that any school predominately of one race is bad for the students and bad for society, especially considering the type of world we live in. Students are done a disservice if not exposed to other people and cultures. For African American kids it perpetuates lack of self esteem and the belief that anything African American is negative.

I will live in Riverside Terrace and send my kids to a private school with at least some diversity, so that they at least will have balance. Just like many other parents in Riverside Terrace who want to live in a predominately African American neighborhood we send our kids to school outside of the neighborhood for balance. Living in a predominately Anglo neighborhood, and sending my kids to a predominately Anglo attended school left my kids with an unbalanced view of the world.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Part of Riverside Terrace is zoned to an Exlempary TEA rated school - Lockhart Elementary. The school is a magnet school for Math/Science and Technology. The school is 98% African American. At the magnet program Open House many parents were interested in the math/science and technology aspect of the school and the fact it was a TEA rated school got people really excited. When they heard it was 98% African American they literally ran from the table. It is perception that a "Good School" cannot have > 10% minority, any number higher than that and the phenomena "White Flight" sets in. Already happening in some of the suburbs.

There needs to be balance I believe that any school predominately of one race is bad for the students and bad for society, especially considering the type of world we live in. Students are done a disservice if not exposed to other people and cultures. For African American kids it perpetuates lack of self esteem and the belief that anything African American is negative.

I will live in Riverside Terrace and send my kids to a private school with at least some diversity, so that they at least will have balance. Just like many other parents in Riverside Terrace who want to live in a predominately African American neighborhood we send our kids to school outside of the neighborhood for balance. Living in a predominately Anglo neighborhood, and sending my kids to a predominately Anglo attended school left my kids with an unbalanced view of the world.

There are also Houston ISD magnet and transfer programs. I.E. you may apply to, say, Poe Elementary or West U Elementary and send your kids to either school.

Part of Riverside Terrace is zoned to an Exlempary TEA rated school - Lockhart Elementary. The school is a magnet school for Math/Science and Technology. The school is 98% African American. At the magnet program Open House many parents were interested in the math/science and technology aspect of the school and the fact it was a TEA rated school got people really excited. When they heard it was 98% African American they literally ran from the table.

Lockhart was the one that gave my ex- so much trouble. Granted, it has been a while, but if any school is 98% ANYTHING, I doubt that its going to make for a very healthy environment if your kid happens to fall in the 2%.

Btw, if you go to HISD headquarters, you can supposedly fill out a form and get your kid transferred to another school within HISD for just about any reason, so long as you are willing to provide transportation. My understanding is that they're very flexible about that. So just because you live in RT doesn't mean that Bellaire or Lamar and the schools that feed them are off the table.

EDIT: Yeah, what Vic said...

There are also Houston ISD magnet and transfer programs. I.E. you may apply to, say, Poe Elementary or West U Elementary and send your kids to either school.

Not sure if people are aware but the magnet program is a lottery program. So yes you can wish to send your child to any school in HISD but every child that lives out of area is put into a lottery. Names are pulled out one by one until they meet their quotas. We all know about lotteries not everyone can win. If you don't win too bad!! too sad!! My childs future is more important than fingers crossed we might win the lottery. The Poe elementary that you speak of is rated TEA unacceptable. Call me elitist if I choose not to rely on a lottery or presumed "Good Schools".

Not sure if people are aware but the magnet program is a lottery program. So yes you can wish to send your child to any school in HISD but every child that lives out of area is put into a lottery. Names are pulled out one by one until they meet their quotas. We all know about lotteries not everyone can win. If you don't win too bad!! too sad!! My childs future is more important than fingers crossed we might win the lottery. The Poe elementary that you speak of is rated TEA unacceptable. Call me elitist if I choose not to rely on a lottery or presumed "Good Schools".

Not this year - it's acceptable for 05-06

The reason Poe got unacceptable for 04-05 is... 5th grade science scores - As in, 5th grade science scores in several subgroups fell. The TEA will penalize a school if certain demographic groups do poorly, even if the school as a whole does well.

See: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:fny7v...table&hl=en is the newsletter about it

By the way, in a large school district, you have no choice but to play the "good school" game if you are zoned to a "bad school" - Don't worry, though. There are plenty of good elementary schools in HISD. It gets tighter in middle and high school, though.

I understand why you dislike the application process with HISD schools; AFAIK, we have no better way to get kids into "better" schools, since it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to have all schools in such a large district at the same level. In addition, schools can only handle so many students.

The best option to do is to apply to many elementary schools.

Here are some schools in the West Houston area to look at:

* Briargrove

* Condit (Bellaire)

* Horn (Bellaire)

* Kolter

* Lovett

* Parker

* Red

* River Oaks

* Roberts

* St. George Place (Opening in Fall 2007)

* Mark Twain

* West University (West University Place)

There are more well-reputed schools, but this is a list of some of them

Naturally, if you end up liking Poe despite its 2004-2005 blemish due to the science scores, you may apply to that one too

The Riverside Terrace area's only draw back is the schools. As a single father with 3 young sons looking for a larger home. I am torn by my love for this area and my desire for something better for my kids. I send the two school age boys to a private school on south main near the med center, even though I live less than 5 blocks from Lockhart Elem. I am leaning towards Fort bend county because of the great neighborhood schools which we lack. I must say money is not a problem, I have received offers of over 300k for my home located in Timbercrest, and can easily afford to purchase up to 500-600k. I had even considered making an offer on a beautiful old southern colonial on the corner of S.Macgregor and Rio Vista that sits on over 2 acreas. If we had 1 good school in the area, with a cross section of all racial groups, I would stay put and never move out. I just would like to send my kids to a good neighborhood school, instead of having to drive them across town.There doesn't seem to be a chance of that happening. HISD had a chance to built a new school on it's property on the corner of 288 and N. Macgregor instead it sold it, and we are getting a Hotel, Condos, shops and offices and Perry Homes.

The Riverside Terrace area's only draw back is the schools. As a single father with 3 young sons looking for a larger home. I am torn by my love for this area and my desire for something better for my kids. I send the two school age boys to a private school on south main near the med center, even though I live less than 5 blocks from Lockhart Elem. I am leaning towards Fort bend county because of the great neighborhood schools which we lack. I must say money is not a problem, I have received offers of over 300k for my home located in Timbercrest, and can easily afford to purchase up to 500-600k. I had even considered making an offer on a beautiful old southern colonial on the corner of S.Macgregor and Rio Vista that sits on over 2 acreas. If we had 1 good school in the area, with a cross section of all racial groups, I would stay put and never move out. I just would like to send my kids to a good neighborhood school, instead of having to drive them across town.There doesn't seem to be a chance of that happening. HISD had a chance to built a new school on it's property on the corner of 288 and N. Macgregor instead it sold it, and we are getting a Hotel, Condos, shops and offices and Perry Homes.

HISD, apparently, believes that the Third Ward area will become a Yuppie haven. HISD did rebuild M.E. Foster and Thompson elementaries (see http://www.houstonisd.org/Departments/chan...9997080,00.html ), but that's about it for the Third Ward area.

HISD believes that the area will become a big Yuppie haven instead of a family area, so HISD rebuilt those two schools instead of rebuilding any in the Third Ward area north of Wheeler.

What exactly is a minority?

Becuase whites are the minority in Tejas.

Midtown: Actually, the US Census does not classify Hispanic as a "Race" - Whites, according to the census, made up 84.54% of Texans in 2000.

People of Hispanic origin made up 32.15% of Texans. 50.40% of Texans were non-Hispanic White. Apparently non-Hispanic Whites are now a plurality in TX.

I know that, combining the populations of all Texas public schools, Hispanics make up a majority.

This one's inspired by a recent post (below). It got me wondering...

What is the best neighborhood in the Houston area if you you are a minority family?

1. Let's say money is no object.

2. Schools are definitely important.

3. And we're looking for a neighborhood that is WELL integrated, not an upscale "lily white" enclave that receives a token minority on occasion.

I would say the best neighborhood for Hispanics to live in is the Oakwilde Subdivision north of Little York. I was born and raise there plus i know everybody who lives in that hood.

IMHO, this topic is silly. Let me ask a question to all of you who have thrown out all sorts of neighborhoods/suburbs in response to this thread topic question. Just what are the elements of good minority neighborhood (i.e. can I get copies of the Houston Defender at my local grocer)? I think you all would have to come to a consensus on the criteria before you could decide which neighborhood is the "best" one. Personally, I don't think this group could ever decide on much of anything, much less a set of standard criteria for this topic. That's why, IMHO, this thread is silly.

• 4 weeks later...

I probably should have been more clear in my original question. When I asked which ones are the "best", I meant the best in terms of traditional socioeconomic factors:

• highest income level of residents
  • highest level of education of residents
  • highest property values
  • best long-term real estate investment
  • lowest level of crime
  • highest-rated public schools
  • etc.

The idea was to generate a list of potential communities for upper-middle-class minority families to look into when they're thinking of buying a home.

I probably should have been more clear in my original question. When I asked which ones are the "best", I meant the traditional socioeconomic factors:

- highest income level of residents

- highest level of education of residents

- highest property values

- best long-term real estate investment

- lowest level of crime

- highest-rated schools

- etc.

So, basically, what is the best neighborhood? Doesn't sound like racial composition or attitudes have much at all to do with it.

Just an "aside" for SpringTx. If you happen to find a "lily white" neighborhood with homes in the 175k to 225k range, will you PM me please. Thanks. <_<:rolleyes:

I noticed someone put up Briargrove as an elementary to look into. You won't be able to "bus" your children into that school. You will definately have to move into that zone in order to send your child there. My wife's best friend has a child in 5th grade there. They live over in the Meyerland area. The school was NOT going to allow him to spend his final year there because of overcrowding, BUT, because he had attended his whole elementary career there he was allowed to stay, and some of the teachers came to bat for him because he is such a valued student. He was the exception to the rule. They have locked down Briargrove though. I considered moving to that area so my child could reap the benefits of that school. It is just too far from work and I already spend enough time away from the family. The school my daughters will be going to though is supposed to be another on Briargrove's level, so I am happy about that.

I noticed someone put up Briargrove as an elementary to look into. You won't be able to "bus" your children into that school. You will definately have to move into that zone in order to send your child there. My wife's best friend has a child in 5th grade there. They live over in the Meyerland area. The school was NOT going to allow him to spend his final year there because of overcrowding, BUT, because he had attended his whole elementary career there he was allowed to stay, and some of the teachers came to bat for him because he is such a valued student. He was the exception to the rule. They have locked down Briargrove though. I considered moving to that area so my child could reap the benefits of that school. It is just too far from work and I already spend enough time away from the family. The school my daughters will be going to though is supposed to be another on Briargrove's level, so I am happy about that.

Briargrove is supposed to get "relief" from overcrowding in a year; the St. George Place school will open where Briargrove currently is, while Briargrove will move into the new building at 6145 San Felipe.

SGP, by the way, is/will be formed by the people who run the School at Post Oak, an unzoned "reliever" school.

So, basically, what is the best neighborhood? Doesn't sound like racial composition or attitudes have much at all to do with it.

Exactly. Why would somebody who is a minority need to live in a neighborhood with other minorities? Does this cut one way? What would be the reaction if somebody posted up saying they were looking for a neighborhood with as few minorities as possible.

You don't mean minority anyway. Just name the race you want to see as neighbors. Minority actual includes all woman as well as various races.

Just an "aside" for SpringTx. If you happen to find a "lily white" neighborhood with homes in the 175k to 225k range, will you PM me please. Thanks. <_<:rolleyes:

I would...but I'm not sure they let folks with the last name Jones into places like that any more. It causes too much one-upmanship with the neighbors. You'd have to change your last name.

Why would somebody who is a minority need to live in a neighborhood with other minorities? Does this cut one way? What would be the reaction if somebody posted up saying they were looking for a neighborhood with as few minorities as possible.

We've seen a couple black professionals post on this forum that they're not always made to feel welcome in predominantly white communities. For example, a black family who lives in Champions recently posted that when other residents see a black face, they start talking about how the neighborhood is going downhill. I've seen community parties where some whites were avoiding the few blacks in the room, and even whispering racist comments about them. I've heard black friends living in white neighborhoods tell me similar unfortunate stories.

I would...but I'm not sure they let folks with the last name Jones into places like that any more. It causes too much one-upmanship with the neighbors. You'd have to change your last name.

We've seen a couple black professionals post on this forum that they're not always made to feel welcome in predominantly white communities. For example, a black family who lives in Champions recently posted that when other residents see a black face, they start talking about how the neighborhood is going downhill. I've seen community parties where some whites were avoiding the few blacks in the room, and even whispering racist comments about them. I've heard black friends living in white neighborhoods tell me similar unfortunate stories.

How thoughtful of you to provide them with this guidance to places where they will feel more "comfortable."

It must be that way everywhere then. :wacko:

Most neighborhoods are pretty mixed anymore. I would think you would have to get into a neighborhood where nothing costs less than $250k or $300k to see a scenario where an entire block is nothing but white people if you could even see that still. Plenty of "minorities" have money also.

I wasn't too concerned about race when scoping out neighborhood before we moved. I just wanted to find a neighborhood with working professional type people. I did, and just about every race is covered on my short street. No issues.

My black neighbors, the Cosbys, are nice. Mayfield is quite diverse.

How thoughtful of you to provide them with this guidance to places where they will feel more "comfortable."

Actually, I'm the opposite of what you're wondering. I continually recommend to professional African Americans in person and online to look at buying in the better school districts in the predominantly white communities. The real estate investments are going to be better in the long run and this is going to afford more choices. I personally think it's sad to see African Americans self-segregate for whatever reason. Both for their personal sake and on a societal level. I understand it's often inevitable because bigotry is so prevalent in Houston today. But I still think it's sad.

I wasn't too concerned about race when scoping out neighborhood before we moved. I just wanted to find a neighborhood with working professional type people. I did, and just about every race is covered on my short street. No issues.

I wasnt concerned at all about race or good schools when looking for our home. I needed a nice home, in a nice area, located in a gated community, thats close to shopping and the Bush airport. We found all of those things in Champions. We are a black family. Most of our neighbors are white. The only other non whites in my little community are 2 interracial families. One with white husband and black wife 2 kids. The other one, hispanic husband and black wife, 4 kids. We dont have any racial hang ups here. Maybe that is because it is a small community and we all know each other. The only problem i personally have here is that everyone around me, including my family, is into all the political party crap. <_<

Now as nice as we have it here, that isnt always the case. You would think that the only color that mattered these days is dollar green, but reality proves that not always to be the case. Some people still have racial hang ups :( Keep reading these boards and it will not be hard for you to figure out what i and some of the others are talking about when it comes to race.

Actually, I'm the opposite of what you're wondering. I continually recommend to professional African Americans in person and online to look at buying in the better school districts in the predominantly white communities. The real estate investments are going to be better in the long run and this is going to afford more choices. I personally think it's sad to see African Americans self-segregate for whatever reason. Both for their personal sake and on a societal level. I understand it's often inevitable because bigotry is so prevalent in Houston today. But I still think it's sad.

Here's a tip....Africans can be white too. I know several.

Sometimes the results are pretty sad when whites choose to self-segregate themselves too.

Sometimes the results are pretty sad when whites choose to self-segregate themselves too.

All races do that, they fell more comfortable being around the same ethnic environment.

• 3 weeks later...
There are pockets of hope in Alief. Its only the apartments and few select subdivisions bordering the apartments that bring the neighborhood down so much. Up around Richmond & Westpark, its not actually that bad. Its just that even if you live in a 200k home in Shadow Court or Ashford Village, you still have to send your kid to Elsik/Hastings - will all the kids from the apartment complex. Maybe if a High School was build off of Richmond, then there might be some hope for AISD.

Alief ISD randomly assigns high schools to individual students regardless of location within the district. The three schools assigned are: Elsik, Hastings, and Taylor. Students may also transfer to Kerr, a magnet school.

Oh, and if a kid wishes to attend a sibling's high school, he or she may file a transfer.

So you're the -*$hole ruining my standard of living that I paid top dollar for!!!

just kidding, seriously I never thought of the dynamic of peoples self segregating themselves in a real estate sense.

I mean I see it every day so it's obvious but the fact that you feel you need to guide a certain people into making decisions to better there lives and for the prosperity of their race. wow are you a real estate agent or Ghandi?

I am confused though you mentioned that your black friends tell you about this underlying or open racism that is happening in predominately white neighborhoods.

And then you say you are trying to steer them to these areas to better there lives. Do you want them to live where they'll be unhappy so they will be in a better real estate situation. Or do you want to cure racism by encouraging segregation.

:lol: I never saw that you answered my question. Believe me, nobody in any neighborhood that would let ME in, would have any trouble "keeping up" with me. ;)^_^

Archived