HAIF

Zapata

i've had the same thought. security is really tight in and around most of the buildings i've been to. some sort of "proof" that we aren't vandals or terrorists would be great.

anyone can make business cards, but an architecture fan/photo club? sounds legit to me.

i've had the same thought. security is really tight in and around most of the buildings i've been to. some sort of "proof" that we aren't vandals or terrorists would be great.

anyone can make business cards, but an architecture fan/photo club? sounds legit to me.

we would have to get some authority figure to sign off on it either way i would think. i dont know if they would just believe some professional looking business card. but im all for it if you can get authorization on it!

:lol::lol::lol: OMG ! I was with my wife and daughter over at the cluster of buildings at I-10 and Hwy.6 where all the buzzards fly. They have a huge duck pond and nature trail and whatnot. I was taking pictures of my daughter by the pond, and some little jerk comes running out of the building, waving his badge and toupe' around asking who authorized us to take "pictures" of the buildings ? I said excuse me sir, but I am taking pictures of my daughter, I am trying to do my best to keep these stupid buildings OUT of the picture, would you like to see what I have taken so far. He said how was I gonna do that, and I proceeded to introduce him to the 21st century with my digital camera. Pictures came out great, and I was gonna be a smartass and take a picture of this guy with his panties in a bunch, but I decided NOT to push it, with the family unit in tow. :blush:

So, maybe an official looking card would be beneficial at times.

I carry a copy of the law with me when I'm taking pictures.

In a nutshell: as long as you are on public property (usually a sidewalk or a street), you cannot be restricted from taking pictures of any building, with the exception of government-owned facilities involved in national security.

Any security guard that's ever approached me, I've always offered to call the police for them and let an officer explain the law to them. They never take me up on the offer. A few times they've said they were going to call themselves, but by the time they do, I'm already done with my project and moving on.

This issue came up during the Enron collapse, when Enron security started harrasing the news photographers outside the building. Some of the guards got their cop friends to help out. That led to the local media outlets complaining to the Houston police, and a memo went out to all the officers reminding them what is legal and what is not. I used to have a copy of that memo somewhere. If I ever come across it, I'll post it here.

I was taking pictures of my daughter by the pond, and some little jerk comes running out of the building, waving his badge and toupe' around asking who authorized us to take "pictures" of the buildings ? I said excuse me sir, but I am taking pictures of my daughter, I am trying to do my best to keep these stupid building OUT of the picture, would you like to see what I have taken so far.

i had a similar experience downtown in a garage (of course, i knew fully well that someone was eventually going to get uptight about it)...

as i was exiting the garage from the roof, the parking attendant fervently approached me and asked if i was taking pictures of his garage...i told him that i was most definitely not taking pictures of his garage, and proceeded to explain how the garage wasn't visually appalling, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. from there he kept getting wound up tighter and tighter, and my smartass was outside of the garage before he could make an intelligible point. i guess i just got lucky :D

kinda reminds me of this:

dumber.jpg

I was with my wife and daughter over at the cluster of buildings at I-10 and Hwy.6 where all the buzzards fly. They have a huge duck pond and nature trail and whatnot. I was taking pictures of my daughter by the pond, and some little jerk comes running out of the building, waving his badge and toupe' around asking who authorized us to take "pictures" of the buildings ? I said excuse me sir, but I am taking pictures of my daughter, I am trying to do my best to keep these stupid buildings OUT of the picture, would you like to see what I have taken so far. He said how was I gonna do that, and I proceeded to introduce him to the 21st century with my digital camera. Pictures came out great, and I was gonna be a smartass and take a picture of this guy with his panties in a bunch, but I decided NOT to push it, with the family unit in tow. :blush:

First of all, TJ I'm shocked that you let a rent-a-cop hassle you. Second of all, none of you need an ID card. You just need enough confidence to tell whomever it may be at the time, that if you're standing on public property, that they can go get bent for all you care.

Rent-a-cops pray for confrontation. Let their prayers come true. If they touch you on public property, that's battery.

First of all, TJ I'm shocked that you let a rent-a-cop hassle you. Second of all, none of you need an ID card. You just need enough confidence to tell whomever it may be at the time, that if you're standing on public property, that they can go get bent for all you care.

Rent-a-cops pray for confrontation. Let their prayers come true. If they touch you on public property, that's battery.

I found the whole thing quite amusing, I didn't really feel hassled. I am sure it was a slow Sunday for him, so he got his blood pressure up a little bit, and I got a laugh out of it. :D

I carry a copy of the law with me when I'm taking pictures.....

Editor: Please can you give more specifics about what Law are you talking about..??

I want to take pictures of the Katy Natural Gas Storage Hub

[url="http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/HAIF

Editor: Please can you give more specifics about what Law are you talking about..??

I want to take pictures of the Katy Natural Gas Storage Hub

O.K., yeah. No. I think that's one of those cases where I can understand them getting uptight. And since it's probably considered a strategic asset or something, I wouldn't be surprised if someone hassled you. You've got to use a little common sense, unless you have craploads of cash to spend on lawyers after the fact.

If you REALLY want to do it, I'd do it from the back of a moving pickup truck with the camera in sports mode.

HAIF Architecture Club Memeber cards are an interesting idea.

But I do worry a bit about liability. I'm not going to bail anyone out of jail. If you get picked up, I don't know you.

Archived