Getting a recorded plat

ldogg

So I might have a minor dispute with a neighbor over our fence line. Someone along the history of owning this house was too cheap to properly fix the fence and instead just tied the fence into the side of the garage. I can tell visually where the proper lot line should be and how all the fences would line up properly, but the neighbor wants to make sure before I put up a new fence.

I was told that I can go to the City and request their records for the neighborhood with the block and lot numbers for the house. Does anyone know where I need to go or what number to call? Would this be the Dept. of Planning and Development, or is there some other city records department to contact? My friend used to do home surveys and said that back before the new city hall was built there was a place in the basement to request the plats and pay for copies, but now he isn't sure where you'd go.

thanks.

Deed Records are located at the Harris County Administration Building, Preston @ Main. I suspect you may have to get a surveyor to actually get lines on the ground, though. If a survey was filed with the deed, you might be able to measure from the house to figure it out.

I've been told that Deed Records can also be accessed at the sub-Courthouses.

You should have recieved a lot survey when you purchased your house. It would have shown any encroachments on your lot.

You may need to call a surveyor to locate the actual property corners of your lot, which are typically marked with iron rods (2-3 feet long) driven into the ground. I suppose you could also try to find them yourself with a metal detector and a shovel.

Idogg, when you closed on your house, didn't you get a copy of the lot dimensions, this should be in your closing paperwork from the title company. It will look like an architect's rendering, outlining the property lines.

If you can solve the dispute with something a bit more basic, you could use the HCAD website to see the basic lay of your plot. Go to http://www.hcad.org/maps/Houston.asp and just keep clicking the map until you get to the pdf file with your neighborhood facet.

I also support the idea of going out and finding your stakes. You should have gotten everything you needed in your closing documents.

• 2 weeks later...