NW Chamber Calls For Reforestation Of Highway 249 Corridor

mrfootball

The Houston NW Chamber approved a resolution calling for the reforestation of the Hwy 249 corridor with funds available from the Texas Dept. of Transportation.

This is a step in the right direction. It is unfortunate that Harris County didn't have the regulations in place to prevent the idiotic developers from ripping down the nice old trees that were there to begin with...but...definitely a step in the right direction.

Edited by mrfootball

I assume this means that TXDOT has pretty much given up on building out 249 to Magnolia?

A year ago or so they were trying to toll the existing stretch of 249 to fund the extension... that bombed with residents...

the trees North of Spring Cypress were cut down when road construction was underway... that was halted due to some oil lease/land use issues.

Sounds like its cheaper for TXDOT to put some trees back and give up.

I was in Tomball Easter weekend for the first time in a few months, and I noticed they had done some fresh grading (overpass?) just north of Spring Cypress. I also noticed what appeared to be 2 or 3 highway pillars behind a new strip center at four corners. If TXDOT is planning on terminating the project, will it simply stop in Tomball?

there is a tomball bypass being built.

I assume this means that TXDOT has pretty much given up on building out 249 to Magnolia?

also, reforestation of the 249 corridor is most likely the areas south of spring cypress to beltway 8. i see no reason to assume anything about the future of the northern portion of 249.

the tomball bypass is a different project, and yes that is underway...

249 north of spring cypress however has stalled... and that is where the reforestation would occur.

Everything south of spring cypress is already built up with commercial properties and parking lots.... nowhere to plant trees anymore.

what exactly does 'reforestation' mean?

i've been wondering if they were ever going to plant trees along the corridors of 249 like they've done on I45 or 288? some trees and/or landscaping along the margins and corridors of 249 by the Willowbrook mall would be nice.

in fact, if some one from the city would come pick up the trash left behind by the contractors who installed the dangerous $5M sidewalks a year ago around Willowbrook, that would be nice too. I know that was a city mandate, but there were better things that could have been done with that money.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to NW Chamber Calls For Reforestation Of Highway 249 Corridor