Do Houston Resembles L.a.?

Alot of people say's Hosuton looks just like L.A. Is this true? Yes, it is. I've seen different photos of L.A. and Houston do resembles L.A. alot. My female friend from Dallas she just came back from L.A. and then came to houston. We browse around downtown, and she said "Houston is just like L.A. with an old chinatown connected onto it. The building structures, and spaced out reminds me of downtown L.A." Then I took her to river oaks area, why I done that. She flipped saying, "Damn! This look just like Beverly Hills." Then I made a joke saying, "Wow, I thought it was more like Burbon St." :lol: (a big joke). And a good thing about it, the galleria is down the street. Then she went on saying, "Dallas don't have this stuff. We don't even have a skyline." I bust out laughing. "Come on now, Dallas has a skyline too." She responded, "Yea, not like Houston's, or L.A." She told me that she would love to move to houston, but her finance ain't right.

All U.S. cities are similar in some aspect, but to come out and say Houstin is a mirror image of L.A. is an over-blown simplistic view. L.A. has it's own identity just as Houston does.

Beverly Hills has magnifcient homes, as does River Oaks, but as I recall, the houses in L.A. are surrounded by walls, whereas in River Oaks they don't hide their magnificience.

Alot of people say's Hosuton looks just like L.A. Is this true? Yes, it is. I've seen different photos of L.A. and Houston do resembles L.A. alot. My female friend from Dallas she just came back from L.A. and then came to houston. We browse around downtown, and she said "Houston is just like L.A. with an old chinatown connected onto it. The building structures, and spaced out reminds me of downtown L.A." Then I took her to river oaks area, why I done that. She flipped saying, "Damn! This look just like Beverly Hills." Then I made a joke saying, "Wow, I thought it was more like Burbon St."  :lol: (a big joke). And a good thing about it, the galleria is down the street. Then she went on saying, "Dallas don't have this stuff. We don't even have a skyline." I bust out laughing. "Come on now, Dallas has a skyline too." She responded, "Yea, not like Houston's, or L.A." She told me that she would love to move to houston, but her finance ain't right.

I guess she's never been to Preston Hollow or Highland Park. She was being nice or she was from Plano. :lol:

Well its true if you read the newspaper, or watch the news. It tells you. Besides, the woodlands has been ranked with international cities, that's how popular the woodlands is today.

Go to Switzerland. When they ask when you're from, don't say Houston or Texas. Say, "The Woodlands." They'll just think you're from the Black Forrest in Germany. The Woodlands is not an international city.

The Woodlands is a noveou riche suburb. And as such, its head is inflated. The Woodlands is a fine town, but its not Rome or New York City.

I don't want this to be Dallas v. Houston. I just want to show that The Woodlands is not as "world class" or exclusive as some might think.

Hunter's Creek Village

Median household income: $171,294 (year 2000)

Median house value: $567,300 (year 2000)

Piney Point Village

Median resident age: 45.9 years

Median household income: $184,991 (year 2000)

Median house value: $729,700 (year 2000)

Did we really?  Who?  And why didnt he get a prize?

I will leave now (they lifted the restraining order)...

Can't find the whole article, but found a reference on the Dow Corning Implant Info site:

Swartz, M. Silicone city: How Houston created the implant. How the implant recreated Houston. A tale of big breasts and big money. Texas Monthly p.65-69, 92-100, August 1995.

There are some interesting similarities.

1) Los Angeles isn't quite as palm-lined as people think. Los Angeles sits on the southwestern tug of one of the largest deserts on the North American continent, and, as such, the vegetation is at times sporadic. In this, the vegetation is similar to some areas of Houston (where palms come about in impressive clusters but aren't as dominant as they are in Florida). Of course, Houston sits at the bottom of one of the thickest concentrations of pines west of the Mississippi. However, to the west, the prairie land resembles some areas in the eastern basin of the Los Angeles metropolitan area; trees are sporadic and the "grass" has a yellowish-brown tint.

2) Seemingly, you can cruise along any street and find a cluster of skyscrapers sticking up along the horizon. Some call them Edge Cities but that's not always the case--these clusters don't all invoke thoughts of being self-reliant. Some of them are just there for no reason at all other than to provide office space.

3) HOV Lanes. The concept is pretty similar except that Houston's walled in HOVs more resemble the massive HOVs in Northern Virginia, specifically along I-95 and I-66.

4) Neither city's central skyline sits on the coast and is surrounded by large freeways

5) Both cities have pretty obnoxious/elegant homes, large Mexican and Central American communities with matching architecture and growing Asian communities that are decked out in neon--to this end, both cities have an older Chinese community near the core and a growing newer community located more towards the periphery.

6) Design of overpasses. I posted a pic of an LA freeway scene on another thread here and I'll be damned if it didn't look very similar the overpasses along the Baytown-East Freeway.

7) Both cities are known for traffic and smog (the sprawl accusation that's placed in the lap of both city makes it seem like sprawl is unique to and of greater concern among both cities but actually LA is the densest urban area in the country and Houston is actually pretty average).

8) Both cities have large industrial areas east of the city center.

9) The crime and poverty rates in both cities are practically identical (as is the rates for Chicago)

10) Both cities are known for its beautiful, eccentric women.

11) Both cities lost NFL franchises.

12) Both cities have solid NBA histories with teams winning multiple championships.

13) Both cities have impressive sea ports

14) Both cities are considered to be the most flamboyant, most controversial and most unruly cities in their respective states (yet are both the largest).

Obviously, there are several distinct differences between the two but these are some of the similarities that just stick out to me.

I know this is off topic, but on #11. Its true, but now houston has a nfl franchise, and now I've read on nfl.com that the nfl is awarding L.A. for the next nfl franchise no later then 2008. They said it might be a team that has finance trouble, and will take that franchise to L.A. or build a new franchise. Right now its undecided.

BH's median income is low because it encompasses quite a few apt. dwellers and succesful, but not overly affluent residents. most people don't realize BH is larger than they might think. (30,0000) that's 3x more than HP, TX with 9,000. also Holmby Hills, Bel Air, Palos Verdes and the hills above the BH city boundrys normally considered BH(but actually LA) are more affluent.

I know this is off topic, but on #11. Its true, but now houston has a nfl franchise, and now I've read on nfl.com that the nfl is awarding L.A. for the next nfl franchise no later then 2008. They said it might be a team that has finance trouble, and will take that franchise to L.A. or build a new franchise. Right now its undecided.

If LA is awarded a NFL Franchise then that would uneven the NFL in teams again. That is part of the reason why the Texans came is because they needed to even out the NFL.