Houston Construction Updates

Communication Workers of America Union Hall

1730 Jefferson. New construction. 3-story building. 40,000 sq.ft. Includes meeting/ banquet hall. Capacity: 800. Developer: Communication Workers of America. $4.5 million.

Hotel Icon

220 Main. Conversion of bank built in 1911. Luxury boutique hotel. Developer: The Randall Davis Company. $35 million

Inn At The Ballpark

1520 Texas. Renovation of former World Trade Center into a 12-story baseball-themed boutique hotel with 202 rooms with full service restaurant. Developer: Landry's Hospitality. $37 million.

Main Street Square

1000 Main. A pedestrian plaza in the geographic heart of downtown Houston. Includes a 250 ft. reflecting pool with water jets, trees, public art, banners and upgraded sidewalks. Developer: Central Houston Civic Improvement, Inc. $8.9 million.

METRORail Line

y'all act like big kids sucking on a lolly pop. This is downtown, and downtown is not like no pasadena with a fence and trailer. How would that look if they keep a fence and trailer right there in a corprate area? Gimmie a break guys. That's for pre-sale, and they will break gorund in december. I had to clarify that with the salesmen at shamrock.

US 59/Eastex Freeway Ramps

Construction of new interchange and entry freeway ramps serving northeast/ballpark area of downtown from US 59/Eastex and I-10. TxDOT. Phase II cost, $68 million.

--------------------

This PROJECT is a JOKE. It dead ends into Jackson St. at the Ballpark. Talk about poor planning.

Look...I'm not doubting that the sales guy told you what he told you houstonsemipro...but let's ask the following questions:

1. Why would a sales guy tell you ANYTHING other than the project is going forward? It's not like he/she is gonna say "nah...this project is still in limbo and may not happen"...UNLIKELY to hear that from a sales rep.

2. Why would they fence off a lot in mid October if ground break is in December?

3. Why would the parking lot attendants insist that the lot will not close?

My thought is that they need the 'image' of forward progress, to help image right now...

I want to see this happen more than anyone...but an ounce of reality is needed here.

US 59/Eastex Freeway Ramps

Construction of new interchange and entry freeway ramps serving northeast/ballpark area of downtown from US 59/Eastex and I-10. TxDOT. Phase II cost, $68 million.

--------------------

This PROJECT is a JOKE.

Look...I'm not doubting that the sales guy told you what he told you houstonsemipro...but let's ask the following questions:

1.  Why would a sales guy tell you ANYTHING other than the project is going forward?  It's not like he/she is gonna say "nah...this project is still in limbo and may not happen"...UNLIKELY to hear that from a sales rep.

2.  Why would they fence off a lot in mid October if ground break is in December?

3.  Why would the parking lot attendants insist that the lot will not close?

My thought is that they need the 'image' of forward progress, to help image right now...

I want to see this happen more than anyone...but an ounce of reality is needed here.

Its the end of October so that means November is around the corner. What comes after November again?

I tell y'all what. Just wait and see. They don't have a trailer, and a picture of shamrock tower on the trailer for nothing. Get real people. That would be false adverisment if they don't build it. I remember they did the same thing to toyota center and hilton americas hotel. I was there when they broke ground on those projects. My dad owns his insulation co, and he was picking up the blueprints to the projects. So people put the bots back in y'all head, tighten it up and let's use them correctly.

Its the end of October so that means November is around the corner. What comes after November again?

Cinco...what happened to the project over by the ballpark? Same story...

Look...that's exactly what they want you to believe. I'm not so dumb, as to not know what month comes after November. I am smart enough to ask questions and make intelligent inferences. A fence around the lot means squat. When I see them moving dirt and giving up the revenue from the parking, I'll believe it.

Cinco...what happened to the project over by the ballpark?  Same story...

Look...that's exactly what they want you to believe.  I'm not so dumb, as to not know what month comes after November.  I am smart enough to ask questions and make intelligent inferences.  A fence around the lot means squat.  When I see them moving dirt and giving up the revenue from the parking, I'll believe it.

It's going to get built. Why wouldn't it? They already have a high percentage of the units already sold and they have the rest on sale on all types of realtor websites. You never seen this with Ballpark Place, and I think we all knew that was not going to be built with having the title of "on hold". Shamrock is approved or proposed and will definitely be under construction soon. I don't see why it wouldn't. Plus, I don't remember seeing a sales trailor in the parking lot for Ballpark Place. Just a sign with a rendering.

It's going to get built.  Why wouldn't it?  They already have a high percentage of the units already sold and they have the rest on sale on all types of realtor websites.  You never seen this with Ballpark Place, and I think we all knew that was not going to be built with having the title of "on hold".  Shamrock is approved or proposed and will definitely be under construction soon.  I don't see why it wouldn't.  Plus, I don't remember seeing a sales trailor in the parking lot for Ballpark Place.  Just a sign with a rendering.

Why wouldn't it? Because these are 'reserved' units...quite different from 'sold units' as you refer to them. Look...I don't want to paint myself as a pessemist...but this does require a dose of reality. They were supposed to break ground earlier this summer...and now it's December. Let's hope it happens.

There is a fence and a trailer in several areas in pasadena, but that doesn't make them construction sites. :)

Ricco

y'all act like big kids sucking on a lolly pop. This is downtown, and downtown is not like no pasadena with a fence and trailer. How would that look if they keep a fence and trailer right there in a corprate area? Gimmie a break guys. That's for pre-sale, and they will break gorund in december. I had to clarify that with the salesmen at shamrock.

1.  Why would a sales guy tell you ANYTHING other than the project is going forward?  It's not like he/she is gonna say "nah...this project is still in limbo and may not happen"...UNLIKELY to hear that from a sales rep.

So people put the bots back in y'all head, tighten it up and let's use them correctly.

This has got to be the FUNNIEST thread I have ever read on this forum. At this point, even if the Shamrock doesn't get built (and it's looking like it won't), it will have been worth it just to listen to all this.

Next incarnation for aging eyesore

Condominiums may take place of hotel rooms

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

A longtime downtown Houston eyesore, which was once the high-rise home to a transcendental meditation society, has been sold to an investment group that wants to turn it into condominiums.

ADVERTISEMENT

A partnership led by Don Nicholas of LandCo Properties purchased the 30-story Days Inn building on St. Joseph Parkway between Milam and Travis on the southern end of downtown.

"An ugly duckling downtown will become a swan," said Nicholas, whose group is still studying what to do with the building.

The property was built in the 1970s as a Holiday Inn and later converted to a Days Inn before it was taken over by a group led by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who gained worldwide fame in the 1960s when he became the spiritual adviser for the Beatles.

Located on the south side of downtown, the property was never successful as a hotel because it sat too far away from downtown corporations, hotel analysts have said.

Nicholas and his partners have experience redeveloping old buildings.

The group converted a structure in Colorado Springs to CityWalk Downtown, a residential building. Units were priced from the low $100,000s to more than $300,000.

Nicholas said the Days Inn property reminded him of a larger version of the Colorado project.

"It doesn't have a beautiful view of the Rockies, but it still has beautiful views of the city side and park side," he said.

Tepid sales of downtown condominiums haven't stopped developers that see Houston as an up-and-coming residential market.

Last month, Silvestri Investments purchased an old brick warehouse just blocks from Minute Maid Park, where it is building out at least 50 condominiums.

And Randall Davis is planning to convert his St. Germain apartments on Main Street into for-sale units. He's selling the apartments for $180,000 on average and offering 100 percent financing.

"I think people would like the opportunity to buy a condo in downtown Houston," he said.

"Especially if it's priced right."

The Maharishi, the founder of transcendental meditation, bought the Days Inn property in the early 1990s for a reported $2 million.

It was renamed Heaven on Earth Inn, and the Maharishi's brand of meditation was taught there.

But the hotel fell into disrepair and became a dingy blemish on downtown's skyline. It has sat vacant since the late 1990s.

Adam Brackman and Jeff Kaplan of Wulfe & Co. brokered the sale.

nancy.sarnoff@chron.com

houstonsemipro, I know you want to see the Shamrock Towers built; I think most people on this forum do, too.

But the reality is that real estate deals can - and do - fall through. A construction (sales?) trailer, a fence, architectural renderings, some signs and a smooth-talking sales team are all very nice, but plans can fall apart at any stage in the development of a new building.

A couple of examples: on Montrose Blvd (just south of W. Dallas) a developer started construction of several townhome units in the early 90s. The foundation was laid, the lower masonry was completed, and the majority of the framing went up. Then the developer went broke. The building sat there, half finished and rotting, for more than five years. Eventually, someone else bought the property (I hate to think of the legal messes involved), tore down what was unsalvageable, and completed the project, about ten years after they first broke ground.

The Westheimer was to be a mid-rise condo project with 70+ units (on Westheimer, east of Dunlavy). They went quite a lot further than the Shamrock developers have gone, tearing down existing buildings, putting up a fence, erecting the obligatory sign with rendering of the completed structure, etc. At one time they boasted that 30% of the units had already been 'pre-sold'. They even went so far as to pour the footings. That was quite a few years ago.

You can see them for yourself, because there's still no building on top of them to obstruct the view. They have, however, taken down the sign.

I'd like to believe that The Shamrock will be built, but it's been my observation that the longer the delay, the less likely that it's going to happen. Other projects (now including the old Day's Inn) are competing for buyers, and construction costs are going up. Lenders and investors have had ample opportunity to kick this project into gear. I imagine that people who have put up money to reserve units are becoming impatient; I wonder if any have asked for their money back. Somehow I doubt if the sales staff will tell you if they have.

This is in regard to houstonsemipro's article posted.

I am all for revitalization and renovation of old historic buildings, but don't sometimes you wish they built a new structure for these condos or hotels going up to fill in some of these parking lots. When is the last time a condo highrise in downtown wss constructed anyway? Shamrock Tower will be the first in how many years?