Crockett St./First Ward Gentrification - Target Area

I am going to post a bunch a pics I took today in the photo section. I just "love" this area of town. The homes throughout are really beautiful homes that were built in the early century. The area is very, very run down now...but you are starting to see signs of gentrification. I think it is a result of other in-town improvements, property values and the new retail construction (Target)

Driving through today, I'm seeing about 1 in 10 homes as having been renovated. I also saw two townhome developments going up! Many, many of the houses are either run down beyond repair, or just waiting for some soul to come in and renovate.

What does this board think? Will this area gentrify? Will it become like the sixth ward or like midtown?

I hope for some conglomeration of the two. I think it is clear many of the homes are beyond repair, but many of them still have original architectural features (many of my favorite run down homes I couldn't snap pictures of because there were occupants in the yard or out enjoying the weather). The other critical feature of this area is the railroad tracts. Unless they shut down that (f%@!#in) horn, it will just be too loud for people to invest in.

I'm curious to hear (read) everyone's opinions...

In Town homes has bought alot of the property in this area and will be building townhomes (like the ones in one of your pics) throughout the area over the next few years.....it's a good time to buy before prices go up in my opinion.....especially with Target and the other improvements....could be an up and coming area...

This area has so much potential. We came really close to purchasing a fixer-upper in the area, but the soil samples from the back yard were surprisingly bad. No way I would have let a child or animal play back there unsupervised.

This area has so much potential. We came really close to purchasing a fixer-upper in the area, but the soil samples from the back yard were surprisingly bad. No way I would have let a child or animal play back there unsupervised.

I can imagine! Years of being right near all that industry and train tracks. I think for those reasons, this area will never become (or it will take a long time) "nice".

• 4 weeks later...
I can imagine! Years of being right near all that industry and train tracks. I think for those reasons, this area will never become (or it will take a long time) "nice".

well i live in the area..i own a house on summer... been here since 1990... i havent grown another pair of eyes or ears yet... hahahah. im seeing all these town homes getting built.. i think ive seen like 6 completed and 5 getting built as you read this.. HHN Homes just grabbed some land behind the brewery where an art gallery/museum use to be..and i saw some moving trucks the other day.. crockett street have already cleared a piece of land where some town homes or condos are going to be built near washigton... i give it another year before someone knocks on my door to purchase my house.. i live like 4 blocks from the new target.. woo hoo..

well i live in the area..i own a house on summer... been here since 1990... i havent grown another pair of eyes or ears yet... hahahah. im seeing all these town homes getting built.. i think ive seen like 6 completed and 5 getting built as you read this.. HHN Homes just grabbed some land behind the brewery where an art gallery/museum use to be..and i saw some moving trucks the other day.. crockett street have already cleared a piece of land where some town homes or condos are going to be built near washigton... i give it another year before someone knocks on my door to purchase my house.. i live like 4 blocks from the new target.. woo hoo..

That is great news, and I appreciate the insiders view point. That area has interested me for a couple of years. That was part of my point is that this area is seeing some nice new builds and renovations. I hope it continues, but I don't know how much of a factor the train and industrial space will be.

Do you plan on staying or will you collect your investment and laugh happily to the bank?

Really where about exactly do you live. My family still know several families living in the area we moved out in '89. We lived where the Crocket parking lot/ play area is at.

Hold on to your place for the big payout >:)

That is great news, and I appreciate the insiders view point. That area has interested me for a couple of years. That was part of my point is that this area is seeing some nice new builds and renovations. I hope it continues, but I don't know how much of a factor the train and industrial space will be.

Do you plan on staying or will you collect your investment and laugh happily to the bank?

well ill probably sell and buy in the area.. depending on the types of homes/condos/or town homes they are going to build.. i love this area especially with all of these new renovations and the new target.. and supposely i heard a rumor while working out at 24 hour fitness that they plan to open a gym near the area..

Really where about exactly do you live. My family still know several families living in the area we moved out in '89. We lived where the Crocket parking lot/ play area is at.

Hold on to your place for the big payout >:)

thats what i plan to do.. i live on summer in front of the big rice company.. we remodeled the entire house.. lets see if i get more bucks.. hahahaha

• The title was changed to Crockett St./First Ward Gentrification - Target Area

Archived