Fat Houston

Well lookie, another "fat Houston" article. Funny, isn't it? All has been quiet since Houston fell to #5 on the fat list, which was all a bunch of baloney (mmm, baloney) in the first place. Something else funny is that this article fails to mention that Houston is no longer at the top of the "fat city" list. But as long as people don't know either way...

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/World/2006/03/...495178-sun.html

Fat is an odd issue. Too much or not enough of it can be an indicator of an unhealthy population. Of course, in my mind, the word "healthy" can be taken a couple different ways: physical and psychological.

Having too little fat, controlling for genetic factors, would be an indicator that a given individual (and I hate to talk about whole cities without being provided a complete demographic breakdown of each marginal degree of fatness) is either critically poor and not receiving social services or that the individual is not eating enough of their own free volition (i.e. anorexia). Having too much fat can have any number of subtle causes, but typically only becomes a really critical issue where people are economically well-off enough to be able to make the lifestyle choices that lead to fatness.

To the extent that people can choose what they want to eat and what they want to do, and are also educated as to the potential risks of obesity, I do not see fat as a problem. Fat can be an indicator that individuals are able to 'eat, drink, and be merry', so to speak, without necessarily caring what the rest of the world thinks about them. In my mind, that is a healthy attitude as long as they understand the physical risks that are inherent to that set of choices.

For example, I have a fabulous metabolism, and do not have to be concerned about weight so much, but given what I eat on a day to day basis, regarding an analogous peril, I'm probably going to have heart problems relatively early in life. That's something that I accept as a future cost opposing the aggregate series of benefits that I receive from my consumption of burgers, chicken fried steaks, fried chicken, fries, fried okra, fried shrimp, fried oysters, fried catfish, and the fried lesser-grade cuts of meat from unidentifiable portions of animals used in Americanized Chinese food.

The policy implications of this stance are that I'd like to see improved dietary education, and absolutely no governmental attempt at coercing/forcing decisions out of people.

The Canadian journalist responsible for that article needs to get over it.

The problem with this article is the similar to that of the one about emergency vehicles and narrow streets. It lacks context, meaningful stats, and instead relies on anecdotal examples (Trina Gulley and her two children). I realize they're going after "human interest", but there's no reason to think the Gulley family are especially representative of Houstonians as a whole. Statements like "the car is king" and "Some restaurants offer vast parking lots where you can eat in your vehicle." are hardly unique to Houston alone, and again, don't prove anything about obesity.

When I lived in Houston it was ranked the fattest city in America.

When I moved to Chicago, it became ranked the fattest city in America.

Therefore, I will personally take the blame.

(On a side note -- I've lost 30 pounds since I sold both of my cars and take the train to work.)

"Super Size City, USA".
Woah now, Canada is getting a little too catchy! :rolleyes: (although,
TeXXXL
is creative :D )

But wait, isn't obesity counted as 30lbs (not BMI) overweight? Because technically speaking, my doctor says I'm Obese. Which I think they need to update the scale anyhow, because people are getting bigger (not nessesarly fatter) each generation. I mean, I'm taller then my dad and my older siblings.

Houston could be our future.

The Texas metropolis is custom-made to promote weight gain.

Fast-food outlets everywhere, almost no public transit, and month after month of suffocating heat.

They Wish! (j.k.) Well, since when do Buses not count as public transportation? Don't we have a really high ridership? And our 7miles of lightrail passed 20million riders a few weeks ago...

That's a colossal task considering the city boasts twice the number of restaurants per capita than any other large U.S. city.
I thought Dallas had the highest restaurant per capita? I just thought we ate out more then any other city?

But this really got me:

Some restaurants offer vast parking lots where you can eat in your vehicle.

I can barely find a parking spot, I think if anyone saw anyone else eating in their car, they would tell them to go home!

Woah now, Canada is getting a little too catchy! :rolleyes: (although, is creative :D )

But wait, isn't obesity counted as 30lbs (not BMI) overweight? Because technically speaking, my doctor says I'm Obese. Which I think they need to update the scale anyhow, because people are getting bigger (not nessesarly fatter) each generation. I mean, I'm taller then my dad and my older siblings.

They Wish! (j.k.) Well, since when do Buses not count as public transportation? Don't we have a really high ridership? And our 7miles of lightrail passed 20million riders a few weeks ago...

I thought Dallas had the highest restaurant per capita? I just thought we ate out more then any other city?

But this really got me:

I can barely find a parking spot, I think if anyone saw anyone else eating in their car, they would tell them to go home!

yeah, a couple of things of note. i am black and do not feel that me being black (or poor... not sure if i am or not... according to someone's scale i am probably am both...) makes me more susceptible to being overweight. i definitely think it is a lifestyle issue.

at 40 years old i have to take pains to exercise close to 6 times a week AND watch what i eat.

it really is that simple. you have to burn more than you consume.

also, i have noticed that people (in general) ARE getting bigger. as you mentioned, not necessarily FATTER, but bigger. especially immigrant populations.

i am not sure if the diet is better in the states, but even folks that used to be considered 'little people' are getting taller and more robust.

is it our diet in general and the nutritional (or even genetically modified) value of our foods that is pushing us all upwards?

Archived