Pine Valley - What Do You Guys Think Or Know About This Area

What's the word on the Pine Valley neighborhood? It's a smalll, kind of hidden neighborhood near Gulfgate. Wayside drive cuts through the area. There are a couple of solid-looking houses on the market in that area.

What does anyone know about that area? And what are your thoughts on the appreciation of it? I know Gulfgate has been booming, and that area is near Gulfgate, but it's also kind of a hidden, forgotten subdivision.

I have driven through it several times, and it looks like a solid working class predominately Hispanic neighborhood. I liked what I saw.

What do you guys think?

Guest danax

It's your typical tacky-looking lower-middle class neighborhood built in the 40s and 50s. It's a decent location between 610 and 45 and I think its just about ready for its next incarnation. There's the Riverview subdivision nearby which has some older bunglalows also if you're looking for an older inner-loop house near the bottom of its cycle. Someone was telling me how amazing it was that she heard about some guy that worked in the Med Cntr and bought a house over there and paid something like 120K for it. My experience has been that Hispanic neighborhoods like this are safe, just a bit ugly.

Gulfgate is one of those places that is sort of reverse the way a lot of us think; that the decent shopping center comes after the housing has been upgraded. In this case, I think a lot of the surrounding areas will get redone because of Gulfgate.

I live in a similar area across 45 and, although a few people have come over lately and fixed up the old homes, I think ultimately these areas are destined for townhouses once land values overtake improvement values, and hopefully we won't get too many apartments.

It's your typical tacky-looking lower-middle class neighborhood built in the 40s and 50s. It's a decent location between 610 and 45 and I think its just about ready for its next incarnation. There's the Riverview subdivision nearby which has some older bunglalows also if you're looking for an older inner-loop house near the bottom of its cycle. Someone was telling me how amazing it was that she heard about some guy that worked in the Med Cntr and bought a house over there and paid something like 120K for it. My experience has been that Hispanic neighborhoods like this are safe, just a bit ugly.

Gulfgate is one of those places that is sort of reverse the way a lot of us think; that the decent shopping center comes after the housing has been upgraded. In this case, I think a lot of the surrounding areas will get redone because of Gulfgate.

I live in a similar area across 45 and, although a few people have come over lately and fixed up the old homes, I think ultimately these areas are destined for townhouses once land values overtake improvement values, and hopefully we won't get too many apartments.

Danax, thanks for the response. Overall, how do you see the immediate area of Pine Valley shaping up? Sure, Gulfgate is booming, but I also noticed an industrial area along Griggs. What's the story on that area?

Also, did that area flood during Allison? I noticed there's a bayou nearby. Do you really think all the Gulfgate development will creep over to this area?

And, do you thinking buying a home in Pine Valley - which is somewhat established, even if the houses aren't attractive on the outside - versus buying, say, one of those new Perry Townhomes over at Woodridge or Plum Creek?

Sorry for all the questions. Just curious about the neighborhood. Thanks for the help.

And, do you thinking buying a home in Pine Valley - which is somewhat established, even if the houses aren't attractive on the outside - versus buying, say, one of those new Perry Townhomes over at Woodridge or Plum Creek?

I always recommend buying and fixing up an older home versus a new townhome. If you get the house for a good price, are smart with your improvements (don't over-improve for the neighborhood) then you are pretty much guaranteed to make money. Or, you can rent it out for a decent price and wait for the land values to catch up. With a new townhome, you are buying a commodity--a clean, new commodity of course, but a commodity nonetheless! Not a lot of appreciation upside because even if the area turns quickly, you know that Perry will be in there building more and more.

I bought my Idylwood house for a decent price, improved smartly (except the landscaping which I went all out on), and sold for a nice profit less than 3 years later. I would have been just as happy to hold onto it and rent it out, but I didn't want the hassle of being a landlord at the time.

Here's one with remodel potential: http://realtorshelp.har.com/search/engine/...=0&backButton=Y

Edited by travelguy_73

Are you looking for up to say $125k? The biggest concern I would see with it is there doesn't seem to really be the draw of interesting homes/architecture there. When you have interesting homes close in at a good price, you usually have the elements necessary for a gentrifying neighborhood. But if there isn't much in there to attract buyers interest other than a low price, I think it limits you a bit.

I do tend to agree with Travelguy's analogy of townhomes vs. houses. Of course my personal tastes lean heavily toward single-family and vintage homes over look-a-like townhomes. Others would no more buy an old house where I bought over a Perry in million years. So that will come down to your personal wants & needs.

In that price range near Gulfgate I would tend to lean towards Garden Villas, Glenbrook Valley (okay so I am a little prejudiced in favor of that one since I bought there), or Meadowbrook freeway.

Not that these necessarily always have all that much in the architecture department. But you can find it in there with some looking in that price range and I think the areas are just more interesting/nicer. That's my 2 cents.

Guest danax

I agree with both Travelguy73 and rps324 that an old home is better, but it is definitely not for everyone. Those Perry "neighborhoods" that you mentioned do nothing for me. They are nothing but homes and concrete with little or no room for trees. I would much prefer a townhouse on a street with existing street trees. Also, the complex on Woodridge has had a rash of burglaries that prompted the residents to have a special meeting with HPD.

And as rps said, if you're going to go for an older home, try to get one that has some character in a neighborhood that might attract gentrifiers, which means having classic housing stock. Pine Valley's only redeeming quality would be location, and that's a big "if" as to when redevelopment would come in. There does seem to be a spreading of townhomes east along 610 south so I'd bet it will happen eventually. The hunt by developers for the next "130K starter townhome inner-loop neighborhood" isn't likely to end anytime soon. That industrial zone along Griggs is also along the train tracks and the problem with train tracks is that no one wants to live too close, so it will likely remain in that state for awhile.

If you're looking for something around 90K, I think Pecan Park would be better, just wait for the right house. Or, if you can afford a little more, Mason Park Terrace is a nice spot and even Broadmoor can be bought for not a whole lot more, but it's not close to Gulfgate. And as I mentioned, Riverview, which is off of Telephone, has some decent brick bungalows scattered in there which are going to be more attractive to old-house types than those non-descript boxes from 1950. I don't think it flooded over there but I would check the online flood maps.

With all of that said, just finding a house you can afford and can see yourself living in, is inside the loop in an area that has already hit bottom and one where you won't likely get shot, and is showing signs of coming up can be good enough, without having to worry too much about how or when it gets revitalized.

Just as an example, I think something like this would be a better set up personally. The price per foot is good for the area, so you could spend a little on it & still not be overimproved. The house has just had a fair amount of work done on it, but still needs a few things. With some detail work I think you could have an interesting mid-century modern that's a comfortable size.

Meadowbrook is also a decent looking neighborhood too. It's maybe another 5 minutes farther out than Pine Valley.

Meadowbrook mod

If you took that tacky patio cover off the back & cleaned that up a bit, I think it could be a pretty cool house for that price range. The rear looks very "atomic-ranch."

Edited by rps324

Thanks for the response, guys. Lot's to think about.

Here is the Pine Valley house that I like.

http://realtorshelp.har.com/search/engine/...=0&backButton=Y

It's in pristine condition, as the previous owner totally improved it. I've looked at it several times. I've never seen a used house in such good shape. This place is in top shape right now. But I suspect he may have over improved it for that area. The price is good, but the comps don't bear the price out.

I have to be honest with you, IMO I would not pay over $100 per square foot to live in Pine Valley, I don't care if he dipped the place in gold. I don't see the area having strong appreciation potential, the house having strong architectural character to justify that price per foot, and the neighborhood offering a quality of life that exceeds communities in the area that are $60 - $70 per foot. I hope that isn't too harsh. (be careful about asking for opinions around here, you know we aren't shy about giving them!)

A home purchase is a very personal decision, and you have to buy the house you fall in love with, but from a cold-hearted investment perspective, I would strongly urge you to investigate some other options. If you still want that house & that is where you want to live, then maybe that is the house for you.

Just as a comparison, here is one in Glenbrook that is a "flippers" house. The main sewer line has been replaced, it has been totally repainted in & out, new flooring, new counter tops, hardware etc. Not everything is redone the way I would do it, and the yard needs some work, but basically it is totally redone. For the same price range it's something like 1760 sq ft. vs 1158 for Pine Valley, mid $60's per foot. I just think there are things that are a better value out there. Just my opinion, feel free to ignore it.

Rps,

Thanks for the quick, honest reply.

So, tell me about Glennbrook. What is that area about? I like archetucture, but I'm not an expert. What's a "mod" house? Those houses seem..."dated" and very "70s" to me. Is that the trend? To go back to that look?

Also, what's the deal with that area? I've only been in Houston 5 years, but my understanding is that the area surrounding Hobby airport was pretty rundown and ghetto and high crime. But, I haven't been down there in a while. Has that changed? What are you seeing down there in Glennbrook?

Also, (see, I have a lot of questions!), I've always been told that the best investment is "anything inside 610." I know that Glennbrook is just outside 610, but how much do you think being outside the loop will come into play?

I really liked the link you sent. That seems like a great deal, and I may actually check it out. I'm just looking for more info on that neighborhood and Glenbrook in general.

You say there is no appreciation in Pine Valley. But, do you see a lot in Glenbrook?

Rps,

Thanks for the quick, honest reply.

So, tell me about Glennbrook. What is that area about? I like archetucture, but I'm not an expert. What's a "mod" house? Those houses seem..."dated" and very "70s" to me. Is that the trend? To go back to that look?

Also, what's the deal with that area? I've only been in Houston 5 years, but my understanding is that the area surrounding Hobby airport was pretty rundown and ghetto and high crime. But, I haven't been down there in a while. Has that changed? What are you seeing down there in Glennbrook?

Also, (see, I have a lot of questions!), I've always been told that the best investment is "anything inside 610." I know that Glennbrook is just outside 610, but how much do you think being outside the loop will come into play?

I really liked the link you sent. That seems like a great deal, and I may actually check it out. I'm just looking for more info on that neighborhood and Glenbrook in general.

You say there is no appreciation in Pine Valley. But, do you see a lot in Glenbrook?

Glenbrook is still very transitional, and with that comes risk. It is my opinion, for whatever that is worth, that Glenbrook has more of the ingredients that could garner appreciation than Pine Valley. But I can't promise & as I have said before, my crystal ball isn't any better than anybody elses.

The "mod" houses refers more to the contemporary style ones from the 50's & 60's, (flat or angled low pitched roofs, floor to ceiling glass, etc.) There is a huge demand for that type of house style now, and that is part of what is driving new demand in Glenbrook. That interest & demand is why there is a whole section on mod in HAIF.

I don't think being inside 610 is always going to outway being on the outer edge. Especially if the neighborhood quality varies. Witness how much better Garden Oaks is doing than say Lindale Park which is inside the loop for example. Both are doing well & are respectable neighborhoods, but Garden Oaks has better curb appeal & is doing better these days I think.

The Broadway corridor is a fright, and it gives the whole area a bad name. But you get behind it and the neighborhoods are deed restricted and enforcement is getting much stronger (ask Stolitx since she is on the Civic Club board). I have heard that the airport purchased the Savannah Apartments on Broadway & is going to demolish them to make way for a new parking garage. I had seen this on the master image plan on the airport's web site too. I can't vouch for the validity of it, but it is what I have heard. That would thin the apartments at that end down just a little.

As far as price movement, just dig up my old thread on HAIF here somewhere titled "Glenbrook Valley" and look at the houses I discussed being available at that time (Fall 2004). When you compare it to what is available and selling now, you will definitely see a difference. Those kind of deals just aren't there anymore. I sold the one to an old room-mate cad-a-corner behind the one currently for sale on Rockhill. It was larger, almost 2500 sq ft, with hardwoods & a large pool & minimal work needed. It was sitting & sitting on the market at $110,000 in 2004. You just don't see that in there now.

If you take fashionable Telephone Road down from the loop, turn left on Drouet, then right on the first street, Hollygrove, Hollygrove will curve and turn into Rockhill and take you right to that one house. I think you will see an overall look in the neighborhood that you would like better.

Guest danax
Thanks for the response, guys. Lot's to think about.

Here is the Pine Valley house that I like.

It's in pristine condition, as the previous owner totally improved it. I've looked at it several times. I've never seen a used house in such good shape. This place is in top shape right now. But I suspect he may have over improved it for that area. The price is good, but the comps don't bear the price out.

Midtownguy, I agree with rps on there being much better options for that price. That Pine Valley house looks decent but Pergo floors? That's plastic-coated. Built in 1950, what happened to the real wood floors? IMO if you're going for an older home try to get one with the original wood floors, at a minimum.

It appears that you're just getting started in your search and in the process, you'll become more and more knowledgeable about areas and architecture, I know I did. It took me about 4 months and I'm glad that I didn't buy the first 2 that I thought I wanted. "The Loop" has plenty of undesirable areas that will take decades to turn around so it's more than simple geography for sure.

I agree that Glenbrook would be a decent choice as you've got the interest and deed restrictions, which shouldn't be underestimated in Houston. People in "lower-class" neighborhoods cannot be trusted to behave in the best interests of the neighborhood as a whole. What you get in areas without deed restrictions are things like what my neighbor across the street just did; string a huge sheet of bright blue plastic across 4 poles in the front of the house, put some plastic chairs under it with a barbecue, and call it a patio. This kind of thing, when repeated block to block, keeps property values stagnant. Ghettos are created by ghetto people, and deed restrictions at least help prevent the appearance of a ghetto.

Answering the Glenbrook call.

rps is right about the Airport plans. Also Broadway is set to undergo a makeover. I dont know when it will start but the budget is done and the contractor is hired. Repaved streets, landscaping, sidewalks, etc. The city has plans to help make this a more appropriate look of Houston for the vistors coming in and out of the Airport.

We are just starting a Hobby Area Chamber of Commerce for the area which should help with some of the blight areas and work to attract business. This benefits Glenbrook and the surrounding neighborhoods like Pecan Villas, Garden Villas, Park Place/Revielle and Santa Rosa. I think the area can only go up, as it has since I've been there for the past 5 years. The Civic Club is enforcing deed restrictions and reaching out to new neighbors and non-English speaking residents to educate them on the deed restrictions.

I also think with the long and short term growth plans around Almeda Mall, the area will grow. Some of the new retail at Almeda is Walmart Supercenter (open), PetsMart (built), Barnes&Noble (planned), Lowes (planned) and Super Target (rumor). Long-term Almeda is rumored to be completely torn down and rebuilt ala Gulfgate and Meyerland.

There aren't really other neighborhoods along the corridor between Gulfgate and Almeda that offer the lot size, house size, and house quality that Glenbrook does.

Glenbrook is also great commuting to downtown and med center.

I love living there. Is it for everyone? no. But for the price I found it couldn't be beat. My house is 2700 sf, huge lot with a pool. I paid about $53 a sf in 2001. Also we didn't flood during Alison, at least my section. According to my neighbors across the street who are lifelong residents, our street has never flooded. I'm not in a flood zone despite my proximity to a bayou.

Thanks for the answers.

Ok, everybody loves Glenbrook Valley. It's the Shangri-La of Houston. Lol. Sounds good.

Questions: How diverse is it? I'm looking for a diverse neighborhood.

The houses looks fantastic, but...do the neighborhoods have a "surburban" feel? I don't want that. I want to feel like I live in the city. Not Sugar Land.

What's the REAL commute to downtown and Central Houston? Even in the WORST traffic?

It is anything but a Stepford-wife style suburb. It is a very quirky place with a VERY diverse mix of people. I have to have that sort of urban odd personality myself. That is what I like about it.

It is really not dominated by any one group. You have broad economic diversity as well. Some of the houses, especially farther south, have more working class people mixed in with some more affluent retired residents. Farther north you have more professionals & business owners of every color. It's really everybody. Black, white, brown, yellow, gay, straight, you name it.

As for commuting, I avoid the freeways during the peak hours. Traffic in general on that side of town is a lot more tolerable than trying to head west, at least to me. Running back & forth between Glenbrook & Lindale Park where I am now, I will either take Broadway, which turns into Navigation, and go that way. Or take Park Place from Telephone over to Wayside, go down OST & come around MacGregor Park & head up the east side of Downtown to Hardy to go north. You can also take Polk out till it changes to Lawndale, turn right on 75th and you will come out right at Woodridge which puts you right there. The side streets do give you some options & it is not that bad. There are several different routes you can take in & out.

The houses looks fantastic, but...do the neighborhoods have a "surburban" feel? I don't want that. I want to feel like I live in the city. Not Sugar Land.

I'd say it has a country-club-ish type feel. Big houses on big landscaped lots certainly isn't what I'd call urban.

Guest danax
Thanks for the answers.

Questions: How diverse is it? I'm looking for a diverse neighborhood. Ok, everybody loves Glenbrook Valley. It's the Shangri-La of Houston. Lol. Sounds good

What's the REAL commute to downtown and Central Houston? Even in the WORST traffic?

Diversity? The East End is the most non-diverse area inside the loop, by far. Pine Valley, which is not really "East End", if also probably 90%+ Hispanic. If by diverse you mean "non-white" majority, then take your pick, including Glenbrook Valley. I know two young Hispanics who live there in fact. They have no clue what a "Mod" is, they just happened to like the area. Glenbrook is not my favorite either but it does have those elements that indicate good return on investment. However, property appreciation is not always desirable. If you're just looking for a place to live out the rest of your days, having your property value go up only means annual tax increases.

If you're not Hispanic and you're considering living anywhere east or southeast of DT, then you ARE diversity. Diversity is trickling in slowly over here. Most of these neighborhoods were suburbs in their day too. It's just a question of how far back in time you want to go. Also, I board the 45 north in the mornings at Griggs and it takes me maybe 10-15 minutes to get DT (it's getting worse), 5 minutes on the weekends.

To me there is more to an area being suburban or urban feeling than just the built environment. Houston has a funny way of it's built facades betraying the real character of an area. Glenbrook possesses more of the character & attitudes of an urban area than a Sugarland or Spring, at least to me. It does look on the surface, however, much more like a country-club suburb.

As for diversity, There aren't that many areas that truly offer it. Like Danax says, many East/Southeast are 90% Hispanic, some places like MacGregor are predominantly African American, other parts of town 90% whitey. I have found Glenbrook to be a true mix. It's not 90% anybody.

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I took a drive through Glenbrook last night and really, really liked it.

I was stunned. It really is a "hidden" neighborhood that I suspect a lot of people don't know about.

Sure, the country-club-feel of it does sort of give me pause, but the potential re-sale aspects intrigue me.

I'll probably make an appt to view the house rps suggested.

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I took a drive through Glenbrook last night and really, really liked it.

I was stunned. It really is a "hidden" neighborhood that I suspect a lot of people don't know about.

Sure, the country-club-feel of it does sort of give me pause, but the potential re-sale aspects intrigue me.

The concept that there is anything that someone might accurately describe as having a "country-club feel" anywhere close to Hobby is one that stuns a lot of people. ;)

Edited by rps324

"hidden" is the way all my friends described Glenbrook when I moved in.

I drive to Greeenway Plaza every day. I get on 45 at 7:00 am and the commute to the downtown exits is usually 10 minutes. I'm sure it's longer later in the morning. I thought it would be worse than it really is. I used to go 610 to 288 to 59. Then found out that despite how horrid it looked, 45 to 59 was faster.

If you work downtown you have the option of the park and ride at Monroe if you'd rather not drive. I'd probably do that if I worked downtown.

Good luck with your search wherever you decide to buy.

rps,

I wandered over to the neighborhood this afternoon during lunch. I saw it at night, but wanted to see it during the day.

In the 20 min or so that I was over there, I saw groups of people of about 5 different races, and numerous ages, either walking their kids to school, washing their cars in the driveway, or doing yard work. FANTASTIC!

Then, I stopped and looked at that one house you suggested. I stood outside and peeked in the windows. While I was doing so, the woman next door came out and started talking to me. It was great. I was asking her about the neighborhood, etc. She was very friendly and nice. I left with a good feeling.

About the house: Peeking from the outside, it looked solid.

But the lawn! Good lord. Between the front yard and the back yard, you're looking at several THOUSAND dollars worth of work. Basically, the front and back yards will have to be redone from scratch.

Again. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is all kind of exciting, confusing and frustrating at the same time. This is my first house. There's a lot to think about. I really like the energy of being in the immediate core of the city. At the same time, midtowners can be elite snobs who don't even speak when you say hello, and I want to be a part of a NEIGHBORHOOD where everybody knows everybody else.

Decisons, decisions...

The yard is a fright. The house behind it put up a new fence so the bad fence that was left on your side could just be taken down and put at the curb for heavy trash day. I think that would help too.

Somewhere on HAIF I posted the before & after pics of that rehab house I did in that area. The yard was worse than that one on Rockhill, he cleaned it up & TOTALLY landscaped the front for about $1000. It was basic stuff, but it looked decent. I don't think it would be that much $$ to fix & if that is the worst you have to do on a house then you're lucky!

The other thing is that house has been on the market a while. You can always ask for them to do some things or otherwise work it out. Everything is negotiable in a deal. Have your agent present it and see what you can get out of a seller.

The yard is a fright. The house behind it put up a new fence so the bad fence that was left on your side could just be taken down and put at the curb for heavy trash day. I think that would help too.

Somewhere on HAIF I posted the before & after pics of that rehab house I did in that area. The yard was worse than that one on Rockhill, he cleaned it up & TOTALLY landscaped the front for about $1000. It was basic stuff, but it looked decent. I don't think it would be that much $$ to fix & if that is the worst you have to do on a house then you're lucky!

The other thing is that house has been on the market a while. You can always ask for them to do some things or otherwise work it out. Everything is negotiable in a deal. Have your agent present it and see what you can get out of a seller.

rps,

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying you think I could rehab the front AND back for about $1000???

If so, that would be a steal.

rps,

Thanks for the input. The woman next door I talked to also said that the house has been on the market for a while and that there have been several people over looking at it, but no takers.

Why do you think it's been on the market for a while? What's your thoughts on that place?

IMO he did a few things wrong on that rehab that is hurting him for one, for another a drawback for some people is they don't want to be by the elementary school b/c of the traffic at 3:00. Of course if you are at work it isn't an issue I don't suppose.

He didn't go that little extra distance and landscape the yard, pull down the old fence, remove the ironwork around that porch. All that is simple cheap stuff that would have helped the presentation. Plus he did a lot of shiny brass hardware inside that kind of looks cheap & is not the nickel finish that everyone wants now. I also think he put in a ugly vinyl floor in the den. The rest of it is carpeted fine, but I would put hardwoods or something in the den. It needs just a little bit more to make the overall presentation right. But I think the roof was replaced recently and since it has new carpet & paint, it isn't like someone couldn't move in and make small changes as they saw fit.

Bottom line is despite obviously spending money fixing it up, he fell just short of spending enough to give it the feel of a freshly remodeled house. I think the exterior landscape has just turned people off.

rps,

You're reading my mind.

Funny you should bring up the school. The neighbor I talked to said that there is a problem with the 3 pm dismissal and the traffic. But, I'm at work at that time, so I don't care.

I TOTALLY agree with that horrible ironwork gate thing out front. It looks horrible. I'd get rid of that first thing. The sad thing is, that's a spacious family room-den with a GREAT large window and that iron thing totally distracts from the natural light.

I haven't been inside the house, but I peeked in. My first thoughts were: Looks ok, but where are the hardwood floors?

So, I'm totally with you.

I emailed the realtor about a showing. We'll see. It's good to hear that the roof was replaced.

Oh, and what's the deal with the foundation? Was it rebuilt?