Metro's Glowing Pavement Plan

METRO TESTS PAVEMENT LIGHTS AT METRORAIL INTERSECTION

As part of its continuing program to improve safety along the METRORail system, METRO is testing an in-pavement lighting system at the intersection of Jefferson and Main.

Embedded in the pavement, this bar of lights will turn red with the traffic light and is designed to alert drivers to the light change.

METRO will install a similar in-pavement marker later this month in the left-turn lane at Dryden and Fannin in the Texas Medical System.

METRO will compare the rate of traffic infractions at the intersections with that prior to the light

METRO TESTS PAVEMENT LIGHTS AT METRORAIL INTERSECTION

As part of its continuing program to improve safety along the METRORail system, METRO is testing an in-pavement lighting system at the intersection of Jefferson and Main.

Embedded in the pavement, this bar of lights will turn red with the traffic light and is designed to alert drivers to the light change.

METRO will install a similar in-pavement marker later this month in the left-turn lane at Dryden and Fannin in the Texas Medical System.

METRO will compare the rate of traffic infractions at the intersections with that prior to the light

I assume that this will look like the crosswalk at Bayou Place.

I am optimistic and applaud Metro for taking this initiative. I have long had an issue with the Main Street signals. Their lack of consistency with other intersections does create problems--I see it every week. You see a string of green lights and your mind doesn't process that one of the lights is actually red.

But will they show up during the day?

I think it's worth the money.

It won't solve the problem but it will help. We will never eliminate the train crashes, but we should do everything we can to prevent it, we won't get 100% effectiveness but that 99.9% is good enough for me.

There are of course exceptions to every rule, including the fact that every once in a while, a responsible/sensible person will be in one of these accidents. That being said, with the majority of these accidents being stupidity, why would these lights help those that are already common sense challenged?

My gosh, simply pay attention when you get to the tracks. Very simple strategy.

That being said, with the majority of these accidents being stupidity, why would these lights help those that are already common sense challenged?

My gosh, simply pay attention when you get to the tracks. Very simple strategy.

That reminds me

I was driving towards downtown one night and just passed up Sears. Well I looked in the rear view mirror and noticed that the idiot behind me decided to drive on the track. What was worse was that he had a convoy of of idiots behind him. I thought maybe I should pull over and tell them not to drive on the track. Then I thought if they were dumb enough to continue driving for a good mile or so on the track they deserve to get hit especially with these signs posted everywhere DTMap.jpg I thought of it as Houston's own natural selection

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

• 4 weeks later...
I assume that this will look like the crosswalk at Bayou Place.

I am optimistic and applaud Metro for taking this initiative. I have long had an issue with the Main Street signals. Their lack of consistency with other intersections does create problems--I see it every week. You see a string of green lights and your mind doesn't process that one of the lights is actually red.

But will they show up during the day?

They show up very well even in bright sunlight. The other morning I could see them all the way back to Smith. I thought they were reflectors untill they disappeared as the lights turned green.

B)

A similar light system has been in place for several years on West Alabama at the crosswalk under the Galleria expansion.

yes, and i have noticed that motorists *still* ignore the crosswalk and pedestrians with all the red lights :rolleyes:

Edited by sevfiv

Then I thought if they were dumb enough to continue driving for a good mile or so on the track they deserve to get hit especially with these signs posted everywhere DTMap.jpg I thought of it as Houston's own natural selection

Maybe it's really confusing since you have to drive on rail track to make left turn in Medical Center area where many people visit from out of town. But still... hiralious!

Edited by Spencer Street