Skinny streets slowing emergency vehicles

..maybe put big snow plows on the front to move that beamer out of the way.

qysbcz.jpg

I think the car belonged to the actor that played "Uncle Phil" on The Fresh Prince of Belair. You can see him standing off to the right.

Edited by Jeebus

I think the car belonged to the actor that played "Uncle Phil" on The Fresh Prince of Belair. You can see him standing off to the right.

:lol: Wouldn't blame firefighters for feeling a little Schadenfreude while smashing out his windows.

That article struck me as kind of silly. It's not like skinny streets could suddenly have become a problem, or fire trucks became wider out of the blue. They don't give any details or examples, just quote people saying "Oh, this is horrible".

The streets aren't any skinnier than they ever were. The surrounding lots are. People buy townhomes with the expectation that free parking is included in the deal; it's not.

When off-street parking is eliminated due to townhomes being built lot line to lot line, and driveways are the minimum depth allowed by law, people end up lining both sides of the street with cars. Bear in mind that this was forseeable. Anyone who complains when the city decides to enact no-parking laws to allow the street to be passible should be told to go jump in the lake. This also applies to people who are ticketed for blocking sidewalks.

If you can't afford a place to park your car, you can't afford a car.

I think this is media stupidity, just like we saw happen with the light rail crashes. A firetruck slowing down on a city street is not worth me having no place to park my car. I'm sorry, I'd love to deal with it but this is not a big deal for the city.

Anyways, we have two things to do if we want to fix it.

1. Require developers to build garages

2. Get a team to review the cities "No Parking" signage and redesign them one neighborhood at a time.

Edited by Double L

A firetruck slowing down on a city street is not worth me having no place to park my car.

Having a place for you to park your car is not worth allowing other people's houses to burn down.

Fire and ambulance services are vital to Houston. I hope you never have the need to use them. And if you do, I hope they're not delayed due to the selfishness of others.

okay, is what he is saying is that the trucks cannot get thru, or that the trucks just have to slow down....

I think that they should widen the streets all the way up the walls of these places so that this problem will be fixed. putting up no parking signs will just hurt people living there.

OK, cars on the side of the street couldn't slow down the fire trucks anymore than 20 seconds at the most...and if you widen the roads to the building then you get rid of the sidewalks. Then there's no reason for a townhome. Those ideas are ridiculous and redundant.

Require developers to build garages and then enforce no parking laws for the streets. We're not the first city to deal with this.

okay, is what he is saying is that the trucks cannot get thru, or that the trucks just have to slow down....

Either way, emergency vehicles are being delayed. When a house is on fire or there's a medical emergency seconds (let alone minutes) count. We haven't yet seen what will happen if there's a major fire in a townhome development. My guess is that it ain't gonna be pretty. Firewalls can do only so much.

I think that they should widen the streets all the way up the walls of these places so that this problem will be fixed. putting up no parking signs will just hurt people living there.

Rip up sidewalks, trees and landscaping to accomodate townhomes and parking? Where do people fit into this picture? This solution doesn't even allow room for people to walk to or from their cars to their home, let alone to those trendy bars, restaurants and light rail service. It's a vision from hell.

Putting up no parking signs will 'hurt' only those who willingly put themselves in that position to begin with. It's easy to blame developers, but someone signed on the dotted line somewhere along the way.

Caveat emptor!

I think they were saying that on certain streets around the Montrose / 4th Ward area there is the potential for the fire trucks to not get through. Imagine one one of those townhomes having a big party. All the guests would have to park somewhere, which could include illegally parking on the wrong side of the street. If they do that, then the fire truck might not fit.

That article struck me as kind of silly. It's not like skinny streets could suddenly have become a problem, or fire trucks became wider out of the blue. They don't give any details or examples, just quote people saying "Oh, this is horrible".

Well, it was Jeremy Desel reporting. It might as well have been Sher Min Chow reporting on people not scooping their pet poop and how it can give you hepititis. :rolleyes: