Electricity Provider

N8TIV

I will be moving to 77007. I have been comparing providers on www.powertochoose.com but would like to hear recommendations. I currently have Reliant Energy, and it seems to be one of the most expensive in town. I hear that Entergy is good.

i use reliant and although the rates seem high, i know

someone who has a comparable living space and his

gexa bill is at least twice as high evey month.

i use reliant and although the rates seem high, i know

someone who has a comparable living space and his

gexa bill is at least twice as high evey month.

I'm sure all rates have gone up considerably over the last couple of years but I can give some numbers from my experience with Reliant (I'm also looking for a new provider).

In May of 2004 I paid $0.1053 per kwh (497)

In Feb of 2006 I paid $0.1527 per kwh (459)

I currently live in a 700 sqft one bedroom apartment. The building is about 7 years old. So that is approximately a 45% increase in rates in 20 months. I'm guessing that Reliant is no different than other providers in seeing increases in the past 6 months. I definitely saw a "Katrina spike" in November and then another substantial increase in January.

Yes, electricity rates went through the roof, Natural Gas (which is the input for electricity output) prices went SKY HIGH after Katrina. Causing all providers to increase the rates. In Reliant's defense, they are the incumbant provider, and cannot really get competitive until Price to Beat goes away next year. Any increase they give you have to go through some higher up power that approves them and they are publically announced if you know where to look.

I use Gexa - they give you airline miles per dollar you spend and are cheaper! Their customer service is HORRIBLE however. Definatley use that power to choose website!!!

<<<i work for reliant>>>

Still, I think you can almost always save by not using Reliant. Why pay more?

In my case, it is because the savings are too small to justify the switch. Last year, from October 2004 through April 2005, I never had a bill that exceeded $20. My highest was $19.66 and the lowest was $10.53. I couldn't save more than a buck using another company. Since Reliant owns the lines, I stay with them because they schedule all of the repairs.

This year, natural gas prices have caused my bill to go up slightly, but still, none have exceeded $30.

Gotta love those 2BR bungalows with gas heat.

I was with Reliant, then switched to Entergy Solutions. My bill on a one bedroom, one bath, 900 sq. ft. apartment went down about $10/month. I switched a couple of months ago to Gexa Energy, which is slightly more expensive than Entergy was, but I mainly switched for the Continental miles. With a 3,000 mile bonus for signing up with Gexa, and 5 miles per dollar spent on electricity, the extra dollar or two I'm spending every month over what I had with Entergy is worth it for me.

Since Reliant owns the lines, I stay with them because they schedule all of the repairs.

Actually, Reliant does not own the lines. Center Point Energy does. We completely split when dereg happened.

Just a silly detail :>

Archived