New Century Living- A new Highrise company out of Austin

citykid09

New Century Living- A new Highrise company out of Austin. What do yall think about this company? If they are sucessful do yall think they could change Houston's skyline?

http://www.newcenturyliving.com/home/

Very interesting. Those are the sort of buildings i would love to see in our skyline. Glass tall modern highrise living!!! Would represent the "Space City" well :D:D:D:D

As far as I can tell, they've basically figured out a way to mass-produce high rise condos. If you watch their promotional video right at the very end they have an animation showing buildings with different cities' names below them. All of the buildings look almost exactly alike.

As far as I can tell, they've basically figured out a way to mass-produce high rise condos. If you watch their promotional video right at the very end they have an animation showing buildings with different cities' names below them. All of the buildings look almost exactly alike.

i'm not sure what to make of what they are doing to create them so much faster, and the dimensions looked to be the same size, but i still liked the designs. it will be interesting to find out more.

Interesting new Company in Austin that claims the ability to reduce construction costs by 1/3 and the schedule by 1/2. They believe they can complete the total Development Cycle (from land to occupancy) in about 18 months. Interesting info on the site including an introduction video and a high-rise luxury rating system.

I received two emails they are proposing buildings in Dallas, Denver, San Diego, Austin and Houston.

Maybe someone knows how they're able to guarantee the construction costs and schedule - they say they're not doing "cookie cutter" buildings or any "modular construction."

I know there is a tremendous amount of waste and inefficiency in construction, but it seems hard to believe they can eliminate it. I know in Europe and Asia they're more efficient.

Let me know what you think. I'll be back in Texas next week and able to meet with them.

LookingUp

www.NewCenturyLiving.com

Edited by LookingUp

yeah they pretty much all seemed to have the same cookie cutter style. im assuming that with this technique they could have a really simple, effecient, easily reproducable product. kind of like an assembly of sorts. i did see this thing on tv the other week about a company in japan that uses no cranes and literally has the building build itself. they do it one floor at a time in a covered "construction canopy" that becomes the buildings roof in the end. it was very interesting

• 2 weeks later...

What is wrong with Houston? A smaller city - San Diego, will complete 5,000 units of urban housing this year - mostly high-rise. Why can't Houston get just 500 units? I'll be there next week asking the same question. If you know - tell me. Thoughtful responses appreciated.

Looking Up (and over) at Houston.

What is wrong with Houston? A smaller city - San Diego, will complete 5,000 units of urban housing this year - mostly high-rise. Why can't Houston get just 500 units? I'll be there next week asking the same question. If you know - tell me. Thoughtful responses appreciated.

Looking Up (and over) at Houston.

Highrises are a niche product in Houston. Its almost impossible to justify the price for what you get, and the market for new units is mostly comprised of people who very deliberately are looking for the highrise lifestyle.

Once you whittle the market down by income, lifestyle preference vs. price tradeoff curve, and the general lack of kids, there's just not much left. And then you have to account for the fact that some of the people that would otherwise fall into the highrise buyer category work in far-flung suburban areas, where highrises just aren't available and the demand hasn't reached a critical mass to justify even one.

Highrises are a niche product in Houston. Its almost impossible to justify the price for what you get, and the market for new units is mostly comprised of people who very deliberately are looking for the highrise lifestyle.

Once you whittle the market down by income, lifestyle preference vs. price tradeoff curve, and the general lack of kids, there's just not much left. And then you have to account for the fact that some of the people that would otherwise fall into the highrise buyer category work in far-flung suburban areas, where highrises just aren't available and the demand hasn't reached a critical mass to justify even one.

Thanks for the great replies. The City is offering "free land" downtown, but developers are not interested. Maybe the Pavillions project will help.

Sites are still available around the Galleria. The Orion site is now being marketed, too.

Maybe something will happen - it would be nice to see.

LookingUp

• 1 year later...

Yep, that's the guy. New Century Living is a total scam. He bad mouthed every new highrise in Austin. He kept saying how none of them would be built, but his would be. Well all those buildings are going up, and SURPRISE SURPRISE, his stuff isn't going up.

Edited by kingkirbythegreatoftexas