Pilgrim Temple Building At 222 West Dallas St.

NenaE

Think it was Part 1, would have alerted you guys, but didn't know until a friend called to tell me (after it started).

A few things featured were:

1. Lincoln Treater

2. Phenix Dairy (showed delivery trucks)

3. Pilgrim Temple (constructed for fraternal order)

4. Prince's on 4500 Main

5. Shamrock Hotel

I was very intrigued by the story of the Pilgrim Temple. Built by Alfred Finn. Must have sat in one of the wards. Had an auditorium for meetings, held 600-800 people, had physician & attorney offices, a labor union, the NAACP, they held Debutante Balls there, even Duke Ellington & Cab Calloway played there.

Does anyone know what happened to this bldg. & where it was located, exactly?

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/houpub/00024/hpub-00024.html, looks like it's at the top of his list, here.

Edited by NenaE

That's too bad about the Pilgrim Bldg., it was a very large, tall structure. And what a history.

I missed the bit about the Sterling house.

Hopefully they'll show the remaining parts (2-4), soon.

That's too bad about the Pilgrim Bldg., it was a very large, tall structure. And what a history.

I missed the bit about the Sterling house.

Hopefully they'll show the remaining parts (2-4), soon.

they showed all 4 yesterday.

Think it was Part 1, would have alerted you guys, but didn't know until a friend called to tell me (after it started).

1. Lincoln Treater

4. Prince's on 4500 Main

5. Shamrock Hotel

I was very intrigued by the story of the Pilgrim Temple. Built by Alfred Finn. Must have sat in one of the wards. Had an auditorium for meetings, held 600-800 people, had physician & attorney offices, a labor union, the NAACP, they held Debutante Balls there, even Duke Ellington & Cab Calloway played there.

222 West Dallas. It's a parking lot now (what else is new?). It would have been on the left as you drive down West Dallas heading into downtown, just after you cross over I-45.

1. Lincoln Treater

4. Prince's on 4500 Main

5. Shamrock Hotel

The Pilgrim Temple was on the eastern edge of the Fourth Ward, and its most important building.

I was surprised to see a photo of the building. Actually hearing people who went there was an amazing bonus.

60 cents to see Earl Hines...

Houston Informer, Feb. 18, 1939:

feb1839hinespilgrim.jpg

I think my post above was deleted - that's strange. It was just the location of the temple and a link to an HBJ article that came up in a Google search ("houston 'pilgrim temple'") and that I could open despite not having a subscription to HBJ.

Or maybe I just imagined posting?

Anyhow, again (I think), the Pilgrim Temple was at an intersection that doesn't exist in its same form any longer: San Felipe (W. Dallas) at Bagby. Right where the Fourth Ward grid met the downtown grid. 222 W. Dallas, per Louis F. Aulbach and Linda Gorski, whose pieces on Houston history I've always really enjoyed.

I think my post above was deleted - that's strange. It was just the location of the temple and a link to an HBJ article that came up in a Google search ("houston 'pilgrim temple'") and that I could open despite not having a subscription to HBJ.

Or maybe I just imagined posting?

Anyhow, again (I think), the Pilgrim Temple was at an intersection that doesn't exist in its same form any longer: San Felipe (W. Dallas) at Bagby. Right where the Fourth Ward grid met the downtown grid. 222 W. Dallas, per Louis F. Aulbach and Linda Gorski, whose pieces on Houston history I've always really enjoyed.

I wanna read that post... It's hard to find previous ones, sometimes.

From the address given by AmbroseBierce (thnx!), I located the exact block the bldg stood at, it was triangle shaped. You are correct, my research shows the street W. Dallas Ave.(aka San Felipe Ave.) once connected to Brazos. Looks like Bagby changed (on that block) to W. Dallas after the road was lost. The road (what used to be W. Dallas Av.) would now run right thru a skyscraper. From the historic aerial maps I could tell that (what I believe is/was the actual bldg) disappeared between 1964 & 1973. There was a high rise office complex built on a huge chunk of land that incorporated that triangle block. If my calculations are correct, the Pilgrim Temple block would have sat on the opposite corner of the Historical Society, to the southwest, not on the empty parking lot to the side of it, as believed, and south of the parking lot mentioned above, across the street. It's also very confusing because of the street names. Bagby changes to W. Dallas at that location. And West Dallas runs perpendicular to Dallas. I had to rotate the google map to figure all of this out. :wacko: . Looks like the block is part of the high-rise grounds, all I can see are trees lining the street.

Wonder if the bldg. was not used much by that time...but what a loss, & ironically across from the historical park. :(

Finn is one of my favorite architects.

Nice newpaper article above.

And thnx for the link to the articles, tmariar...I've read a few, before. They are very good. Never seen the master list, though.

Edited by NenaE