Drive-Thru Burger Joints

I don't eat drive-through food too much, only when I get called to work early and I get hungry while working (way the hell out) in North County, San Diego.

But when I do get those munchies and I fancy a ground beef patty-based lunch, I still prefer the reliable Whopper at B.K. At least it's not nasty like McCrap which I won't do (except use their restroom when I'm en route).

Here in SoCal, the regional favorite "In-N-Out" Burger is placed on a pedestal and bowed down to by native Californians and Cali Wannabes alike. I find that its praise exceeds its worth and quality. In four years of living in Southern California, I've only eaten there four or five times.

In contrast, while Houstonians are fond of Whataburger and James Coney, they don't seem to bow down to them like Californians do for In-N-Out (kind of like Chicagoans and that multiple mini-style of White Castle). I kind of miss that mustardy Whataburger. Now that's big compared to what you get from a Double-Double at In-N-Out. Like the old 1984 commercial from a burger proprietor I'd rather not consider once expounded, "Where's the Beef?" But those freshly sliced potatoes that comprise In-N-Out fries are the best, I must say. Still, I prefer Carl's Jr. to In-N-Out.

For those who've never tried them, In-N-Out burgers are somewhat similar to James Coney burgers while Carl's Jr. burgers are deluxe versions of Jack In the Cr...er, Box fare.

Californians, those great exponents of junk culture and tacky fast food, still don't know what a range of drive-thru burgers is. You've got Texas-size stuff with the great ground beef at Beck's Prime, even if a bit pricey. Nothing like that here in Cali.

But I wonder why Texas Burger, located in small towns between Houston and Dallas like Centerville, Madisonville, Fairfield, etc...is not located in the two glitzy metros. Now Texas Burger is my favorite drive-thru burger joint of all time. Nothing beats that juicy, juicy 100% ground beef taste for the price. Hmm. Is there something they hide from us city folk? I remember in the late 1980s while driving between Big D and H-town a lot when they had ostrich burgers for awhile. Those were even better than the supposed ground beef of Jack In the Box (oh, that's right, they used kangaroo) or other fast food joints. Texas Burger for me was the closest thing that a drive-thru has for hamburger art. Those Californians only think they know what a great drive-thru burger is.

The Texas Burger in Katy actually burned down, Insurance fraud it turns out. I am almost positive there IS a Texas Burger in Austin, on 183 @ I-35 across the freeway from Red Lobster.

There was one in Katy, eh? If they can be involved with insurance fraud, just imagine what they can be involved with as far as burger patty ingredients! :blink:

I kinda suspected they may have them in Austin (or even Waco or San Antone). But I'm much more familiar with Big D and H-town and I've never seen Texas Burger around.

That is still my favorite drive-thru of all time. That ground beef (or whatever it is) coming from a pull-up window is just simply the most fantastic.

The first iconic Texas drive-through I saw was Prince's Hamburgers, one of which used to stand at the corner of Westheimer and Montrose (now occupied by Stop-n-Go.)

According to their website, only three remain. Pretty good 50's deep-fried stuff, and of course hamburgers.

The first iconic Texas drive-through I saw was Prince's Hamburgers, one of which used to stand at the corner of Westheimer and Montrose (now occupied by Stop-n-Go.)

According to their website, only three remain. Pretty good 50's deep-fried stuff, and of course hamburgers.

I've had 59 Diner before and their burgs are excellent.

How is Prince's? I've never tried them before...for as long as I'd lived in Houston. Are they comparable to either Miller's or 59 Diner's? Avalon was OK, their burgers were not too memorable.

I've had 59 Diner before and their burgs are excellent.

How is Prince's? I've never tried them before...for as long as I'd lived in Houston. Are they comparable to either Miller's or 59 Diner's? Avalon was OK, their burgers were not too memorable.

If we're still talking drive-thru burger joints, both Miller's and 59 Diners are not comparable cause they aren't drive thru. Princes used to have many. If i'm not mistake one of the last one's open was located off of Main and 59. I remember going there at the end just for the memories.

Does anyone remember the Ranger Drive-In? I remember only one on Telephone, however my dad just informed me that there were several in the southeast part of Houston.

If we're still talking drive-thru burger joints, both Miller's and 59 Diners are not comparable cause they aren't drive thru. Princes used to have many. If i'm not mistake one of the last one's open was located off of Main and 59. I remember going there at the end just for the memories.

Does anyone remember the Ranger Drive-In? I remember only one on Telephone, however my dad just informed me that there were several in the southeast part of Houston.

Of course, Millers and 59 Diners are not drive-thrus; I've eaten at both places...it's just while the topic of burgers is up...I'm just wondering how Prince's tastes in comparison.

I was at the Original Prince's that was right by the N.main Sears building for the very last night they were open. It was pretty sad, such an ICON had to go to waste, it was a REAL burger-hop restaurant, straight outta American Graffiti. A ton of Hot Rods there that night, and I had my first '72 Olds Cutlass with me. That was a good night. :D

• 5 weeks later...
The Texas Burger in Katy actually burned down, Insurance fraud it turns out. I am almost positive there IS a Texas Burger in Austin, on 183 @ I-35 across the freeway from Red Lobster.

Texas Burger sightings are rare. I've seen them very infrequently, usually in small towns, never in the city. I'm surprised that they've got that Austin location. Although they are indeed scrumptious, the only one that I've ever been (Caldwell, TX) in was really really grimey. I do really trust the quality of the meat, but am tempted every time I happen to spot one.

I think that there's another one in Mexia and possibly another somewhere along I-45 between Houston and Dallas. I forget which exit, though.

My local favorites include Roznovski's, Southwell's, and Miller's, although none are drive-thrus.

• 1 month later...

Oh geeez, Carl's JR is the worst hamburger this side of Micky D's. Back in my Hollywood hang out day's, we lived off those things and I can testify of there crapiness. In and Out is pretty darn good but imo, doesn't compare to Whataburger.

There is a place off of Jeanetta (off Westheimer & Fondren) called Blakes. they have the greasiest, most amazing burger I've ever had.

Edited by Gary

Oh geeez, Carl's JR is the worst hamburger this side of Micky D's. Back in my Hollywood hang out day's, we lived off those things and I can testify of there crapiness. In and Out is pretty darn good but imo, doesn't compare to Whataburger.

There is a place off on Jeanetta (off Westheimer & Fondren) called Blakes. they have the greasiest, most amazing burger I've ever had.

That little bbq joint right there ? REALLY ? I'll have to go next time I visit my Mom.

I think I saw a Texas Burger Location at Eldridge and 529. If anyone wants to confirm ?

i don't think so, but i might make a trip over there to find out...

and if there is no texas burger, and i don't get a greasy meal, someone's in trouble >:)

i don't think so, but i might make a trip over there to find out...

and if there is no texas burger, and i don't get a greasy meal, someone's in trouble >:)

Don't go out of your way, but I was driving to Trader's Village the other Sunday to see a buddy of mine in a Cajun Band that was playing there. I promise I saw it at either fm529 or at W.LittleYork

That little bbq joint right there ? REALLY ? I'll have to go next time I visit my Mom.

Yeah TJ that's the one. In fact now that you mention it, I think it's called Blake's B-BQ. You've gotta try one of the cheese burgers, they come in half pound paddies so go hungry.

Yeah TJ that's the one. In fact now that you mention it, I think it's called Blake's B-BQ. You've gotta try one of the cheese burgers, they come in half pound paddies so go hungry.

Half-pound ? A mere morsel. :lol: