Central Houston Inc. changes brand to Downtown Houston+

hbg.50

In the 40th Annual State of Downtown Address Kris Larson spent most of his time reflecting on the accomplishments of Bob Eury.  He does mention the monthly downtown Farmer's Market as a key accomplishment over the last year, and he seems to be focused on streamlining all the various downtown organizations.  He introduced new branding:  Downtown Houston+ which I assume encompasses all the various organizations that support downtown initiatives.

Not sure if the video was truncated.  I don't recall hearing anything about the Astros proposed entertainment complex.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, steve1363 said:

In the 40th Annual State of Downtown Address Kris Larson spent most of his time reflecting on the accomplishments of Bob Eury.  He does mention the monthly downtown Farmer's Market as a key accomplishment over the last year, and he seems to be focused on streamlining all the various downtown organizations.  He introduced new branding:  Downtown Houston+ which I assume encompasses all the various organizations that support downtown initiatives.

Not sure if the video was truncated.  I don't recall hearing anything about the Astros proposed entertainment complex.

I hope Downtown Houston+ means beyond the I-45/I-10/I-69 loop.

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

When he said "That's where you applaud." 😂

Actually, what he said was "Here is where you are going to clap again"  and then he said that downtown Houston's  1.4 million square feet of office leasing year-to-date was more than double the activity in Austin and triple that in Dallas (and, yes, the crowd did clap again)

The talk did not mention the Astros development.  That must have been a different presentation.

FWIW, less than 1/3 of the recorded talk was spent talking about the past 40 years (and briefly mentioned (and honored) Bob Eury).

Edited by Houston19514

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Actually, what he said was "Here is where you are going to clap again"  and then he said that downtown Houston's  1.4 million square feet of office leasing year-to-date was more than double the activity in Austin and triple that in Dallas (and, yes, the crowd did clap again)

Listen again at the 9:47 mark.  He was talking about the Beacon, not office space.

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

FWIW, less than 1/3 of the recorded talk was spent talking about the past 40 years (and briefly mentioned (and honored) Bob Eury).

Ok I exaggerated a little and in fairness it was the 40th anniversary of Central Houston so a quick look-back made sense.  BUT go back and watch the 2022 State of Downtown address and future projects listed.  I have to believe Kris Larson is disappointed at the level of achievement Central Houston made in 2023.  Farmer’s Markets wasn’t even on the list.  Meanwhile NONE of the street transformations presented (Congress Street from Post Houston to the Theater District, Dallas Street retail activation, Lamar Street Greening Downtown, Reimagining Main Street, and changing the game day atmosphere on Texas Avenue) were delivered.  Why I don’t know.

Hopefully the rebranding and streamlining will lead to some notable accomplishments in 2024.  That bureaucracy must have consumed a lot of time in 2023.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Listen again at the 9:47 mark.  He was talking about the Beacon, not office space.

Ok I exaggerated a little and in fairness it was the 40th anniversary of Central Houston so a quick look-back made sense.  BUT go back and watch the 2022 State of Downtown address and future projects listed.  I have to believe Kris Larson is disappointed at the level of achievement Central Houston made in 2023.  Farmer’s Markets wasn’t even on the list.  Meanwhile NONE of the street transformations presented (Congress Street from Post Houston to the Theater District, Dallas Street retail activation, Lamar Street Greening Downtown, Reimagining Main Street, and changing the game day atmosphere on Texas Avenue) were delivered.  Why I don’t know.

Hopefully the rebranding and streamlining will lead to some notable accomplishments in 2024.  That bureaucracy must have consumed a lot of time in 2023.

Ahhh, yes the 9:47 mark.  Easy to miss, as he kind of said it under his breath.  Anyway, after also listening to the 2022 address (again), he tends to invite applause.

Also, re the 2022 report, it would have been nice had he given some updates on those items he listed in thee 2022 address, but in fairness, I don't think he suggested they would be completed in one year.

Silly branding that makes it seem like they're chasing trends, instead of focusing on their core business.

At least they skipped the whole "My" fad, or we'd end up with MyDowntown Houston the way we're still saddles with MyNetworkTV. 

Or maybe they should go retro and be "eDowntown Houston?"

I think it was Apple that started this mess with Apple News+.  But now everyone is doing it.  Monkey see, monkey do.

I even watch WGN-TV+ in the morning.

Maybe I'll re-brand Ad-Free HAIF HAIF+.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...