Morningside Dr and University Blvd

June 2022 Street View of 2332 University Blvd, 2336 University Blvd, 2340 University Blvd, and 2342 University Blvd

uOkaxmv.jpg

June 2022 Street View of 2332 University Blvd, 2336 University Blvd, and 5618 Chaucer Dr

3LAlyRC.jpg

YPlNrPr.jpg

June 2022 Street View of 5618 Chaucer Dr

Obcfv6c.jpg

June 2022 Street View of 5612 Chaucer Dr

S7hE0J4.jpg

pRB3bDK.jpg

June 2022 Street View of 5606 Chaucer Dr

R6tBk03.jpg

June 2022 Street View of 5604 Chaucer Dr and 5606 Chaucer Dr

EymiHe1.jpg

June 2022 Street View of 5604 Chaucer Dr

TY5XlkQ.jpg

vb68ZvB.jpg

IPdX0LR.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

What are those buildings right now? I always wondered. Are they for-lease residential spaces? If so, I can't imagine those are long for this world given the money flowing into the village, indicated by the remodeling and newer concepts coming in now versus 5 years ago. I'm assuming the parcel is non-Rice, privately owned? 

13 hours ago, X.R. said:

What are those buildings right now? I always wondered. Are they for-lease residential spaces? If so, I can't imagine those are long for this world given the money flowing into the village, indicated by the remodeling and newer concepts coming in now versus 5 years ago.

Which buildings are you referring to?

13 hours ago, X.R. said:

I'm assuming the parcel is non-Rice, privately owned? 

12 hours ago, strickn said:

2340 University's owner address on HCAD is 6100 Main St, which is Rice.  They bought it in 2019.  Others are c/o the same LLC's law firm address downtown instead 

@strickn is correct all the parcels mentioned are owned by Rice. Half is owned by Morningside South, LLC and other half by Chaucer West LLC.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Several Rice Village area parcels totaling 1.115 or 1.116 acres approximately may be redeveloped. The parcels border Morningside Dr, University Blvd, and Chaucer Dr.

An application for the abandonment and sale of an easement was submitted to the city's Joint Referral Committee earlier this month. Morningside South, LLC is the listed applicant. It's an entity connected to Rice University.

The developer's request was accepted last week.

Below is what the developer submitted:

• Description and square footage of requested easement to be abandoned and sold.

Abandonment of two 5-ft utility easements recorded at Vol. 793 Pg. 698 H.C.D.R. and two 3-ft. public utility easements., recorded at Vol. 8, Pg. 8 HCMR and Vol. 665, Pg. 198 H.C.D.R., approximately 125' in length, for a total of 1,250 sq. ft.

• Legal description and address of the property abutting the portion of the easement to be abandoned and sold, by lot and block, including the name of subdivision. If the property is not located in a platted subdivision, provide the name of the survey and the abstract number

Lots 1, 2, 3, 4, 22, and part of 23, Block 13, Windermere, recorded at Vol. 8 Pg. 8 H.C.M.R.

• Statement of intended use and details of the requested easement to be sold.

Commercial development

• What is the timeline for proposed redevelopment?

Upon completion of the JRC process.

• What is the timeline to vacate the property if the property is currently occupied?

N/A

https://popms.houstontx.gov/OnlineJRC/Review/Review/2595

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

An application for the abandonment and sale of an easement was submitted to the city's Joint Referral Committee earlier this month. Morningside South, LLC is the listed applicant. It's an entity connected to Rice University.

The developer's request was accepted last week.

Below are materials developers included in their abandonment and sale of an easement application.

IOKWL2n.jpg

1BYsGAz.jpg

vtnYuZ4.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Someone on this topic said what is planned here will be a game changer for Rice Village. I hope we see some renderings soon because if it's a mixed-use development then it will be win for the neighborhood. I love charming little buildings like this but I'm also ok with smart density. And if Rice owns these lots, then I expect the end product to be very nice. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:01 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Someone on this topic said what is planned here will be a game changer for Rice Village. I hope we see some renderings soon because if it's a mixed-use development then it will be win for the neighborhood. I love charming little buildings like this but I'm also ok with smart density. And if Rice owns these lots, then I expect the end product to be very nice. 

I have a friend who is lead on the Rice property master plan and yes it will be a game changer. The east side of the village all the way to the Shepherd school of music is going to be a whole new ballgame. So to speak. That's all I can say

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:19 AM, htownproud said:

Does Rice own the large open lot across the street from all of this to the east?  Or is that owned by the church?  

As far as I can tell on HCAD, other than the church Rice owns all of it including any remaining buildings on the east side of Chaucer.

I stumbled down a bit of a rabbit hole this morning.  I was checking the county clerk's site this morning for my area and noticed that Key Auto Werks @ 2505 Holcombe was purchased by "Chaucer Drive Study Center Inc.", which has an address of 5505 Chaucer Dr.  Not sure what that is but seems tied to the Woodlawn Foundation / Opus Dei https://www.woodlawnfoundation.org/texas.htm  .  Anyway, 5505 Chaucer itself appears to have been purchased by Rice in 2021.  All of those properties are held under "Chaucer East LLC"

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 11:45 PM, hindesky said:

WnnyL3a.pngYAeAW3a.pngNC4YXNR.png

On 3/26/2024 at 3:42 PM, bobruss said:

The old Gingerman on Morninside is gone. I watched them leveling it this morning.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:15 PM, hindesky said:

Blooming anew.

beBaWgF.jpeg

Thanks for the updates pertaining to The Ginger Man, the former beer bar that occupied 5607 Morningside Dr. However, I don't think the 5607 Morningside Dr parcel is related to the development planned here. 

I understand Rice University owns the 5607 Morningside Dr parcel. Still, based on site plans for Rice Village, the former Ginger Man site is part of Rice Village (the shopping center).

Notice the location is included in the site plan below. It's marked offline (lower right corner below the Badolina unit and parking). The site plan was published in September by the development's retail leasing agent The Blue Ox Group.

agAtZ2A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 4:13 PM, bobruss said:

I have a friend who is lead on the Rice property master plan and yes it will be a game changer. The east side of the village all the way to the Shepherd school of music is going to be a whole new ballgame. So to speak. That's all I can say

“a whole new ballgame”……..🤔

Like a totally redone and repurposed stadium that does away with the ocean of parking surrounding the old structure?  Pleeassseee 😄

• Like 1