Opinions On This Mod?

flipper

Pay close attention to termite inspection reports and foundation reports on this house and others like it in the Maplewood/Westbury/Meyerland area.

You mean watch out for termites and foundation problems in all of the greater houston area? :)

flipper

If I'm not too busy, I might go to the open house just to see it in person.

I think the outside is pretty average and probably blends into the neighborhood, but I like the theme of the ideas inside, and I like it more each time I look back at it. I think the purple and pink drawers go a little too far and it makes me glad I didn't paint our bathroom drawers the colors of the tile (though I thought about it). I'm curious as to what that white flooring is? Not too hot on the Asian style stuff, but you never know what a person has inherited or decides to keep for reasons only known to them.

Overall, I think it shows that you can do some good mod design in a house even if it's not extra-mod on the outside. It's definitely 50's from the outside and inside.

Holy cow, I just looked at the price $325K? Is that what that neighborhood gets for 2000 sq ft? It's only a mile away from me!

Jason

Maybe it's just me, but I like mods to look a mod on the outside, too. The inside has the look, but the outside just does convicne me.

hr1636398-14.jpg

If I'm not too busy, I might go to the open house just to see it in person.

I think the outside is pretty average and probably blends into the neighborhood, but I like the theme of the ideas inside, and I like it more each time I look back at it. I think the purple and pink drawers go a little too far and it makes me glad I didn't paint our bathroom drawers the colors of the tile (though I thought about it). I'm curious as to what that white flooring is? Not too hot on the Asian style stuff, but you never know what a person has inherited or decides to keep for reasons only known to them.

Overall, I think it shows that you can do some good mod design in a house even if it's not extra-mod on the outside. It's definitely 50's from the outside and inside.

Holy cow, I just looked at the price $325K? Is that what that neighborhood gets for 2000 sq ft? It's only a mile away from me!

Jason

It's all in the name Jason... Willowbend vs. Meyerland

Oh yeah, and it's Bellaire High School Districted

We are currently shooting for $135 a foot in Willowbend

When kids aren't part of the picture (or if we have them they'll come to the private school where I teach) you tend to forget those little details! Does the $135 a foot mean completely - it's a move-in ready modern electrical, recently done foundation, new roof, perfect house?

I'm sure Willowbend will continue to be Meyerland's step-child forever, ha ha, but I think Willowbend is overlooked and underrated (for now). Hopefully the secret gets let out how nice it is over here and things start changing a bit... In my opinion, all we need is for S. Post Oak to be beautified. They can start by tearing down the billboards and big neon signs (ie the furniture one that shines all night across the street from me).

Jason

It's all in the name Jason... Willowbend vs. Meyerland

Oh yeah, and it's Bellaire High School Districted

We are currently shooting for $135 a foot in Willowbend

Maybe it's just me, but I like mods to look a mod on the outside, too. The inside has the look, but the outside just does convicne me.

hr1636398-14.jpg

I know the owner of this house and saw the renovation on it firsthand progress from start to finish. I can tell you that it was high end all the way, and was done specifically with an eye toward preserving the mid-century look and feel. The inside paint colors were even chosen from Sherwin Williams' 'Suburban Modern' palette.

The house was designed and built by an architect, who inhabited it all its life, and from what I could tell was overbuilt (i.e heavy foundation, redwood siding, etc.) for durability when new. It was very original and well cared for before the updates, and after the reno still has the original light-colored ash paneling in the den, original mosaic tile in the full bath, etc.

Stylewise, it's sort of a Wrightian prairie-style outside, with some subtle Japanese influences, but inside was done in more of a mod style (like the black&white floor tile). It's really got a great floorplan, a large master with a both a wall and walk-in closet (rare in those days), and is on a nice quiet street in a desireable section of Meyerland. The backyard is also big enough for a pool.

If you want a super solid midcentury house that is roomy and liveable, but that has a lot of neat touches from the past, this is it. You really have to see it to appreciate it. I am sure some midcentury nut will be jazzed to buy it.

And no, I'm not the realtor ;)

I just took another look and the realtor, DJ, is definitely "a mod guy" and in the know. I met him at the Jenkins on Cliffwood open house. I'm happy he's selling it. You're right: it will probably sell quick the more I hear about it.

By the way, my comment on the price was not saying that I thought this house overpriced, I was just surprised in the difference that one mile can make, and hopeful that my neighborhood sees $325K very soon. Sorry if it was taken negatively.

It sounds very intriguing!

Jason

There are a lot of good original mid-century houses out there that don't fit most modsters definition of a mod house. They lean more towards ranch with their paneled dens and 8 foot ceilings. They may lack the walls of glass, or clerestory windows or flat roofs. What this one does show how you can take one of those and when you finish it out right, and furnish it well, you can still have a knock-out mid-century house.

I see a lot of good MCM ranches get overlooked b/c they just aren't mod enough for people. Of course people have to buy what they like and want, but I think if people saw more of ones like this they would broaden their scope of what kind of houses would work for them.

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...=0&backButton=Y

Looks like it was renovated in the last year.

Why, indeed it does look that way:

http://www.har.com/solddata/solddetail.cfm...&cid=&siteType=

I think a $100k markup is a bit steep for a new crapper, some paint, and some tile. I'd certainly expect better appliances than Jenn Air for that kind of markup.

There are no Jenn Air appliances in that house. It has a Fisher & Paykel stainless 2 drawer dishwasher (about $1500) and stainless KitchenAid cooktop and oven. Improvements in 2005 were: Replaced roof, underslab plumbing, complete interior and exterior paint (by a very high-end painter), light fixtures, countertops, commercial grade flooring, high-end carpet, refinished hardwoods, new custom blinds throughout, insulation, fence, remote iron driveway gate, sod, landscaping, Kohler toilet, etc. Plus the house was under-priced when the current owner bought it. It had been listed by an "out of the area" agent.

My wife and I went by there today to the open house and it was very nice. The pastel kitchen looked better in person than in the pictures. It was definitely obvious that this house was renovated with the (picky) mod buyer in mind. That's awesome! Someone's going to get a very cute and lovingly restored house!

Jason

My wife and I went by there today to the open house and it was very nice. The pastel kitchen looked better in person than in the pictures. It was definitely obvious that this house was renovated with the (picky) mod buyer in mind. That's awesome! Someone's going to get a very cute and lovingly restored house!

Jason

The white floor tiles are HUGE. What are they made of?

http://www.wilsonart.com/corporate/history...use_history.asp

Go here and do the slide show for more info on that tile. Houston Mod did a tour here last year. I couldn't go, unfortunately, but the person who restored this house went and was inspired by the wilsonart house enough to use the same tile. The small black tiles are intricate and detailed. It's almost an alternative to terrazo, but not quite. Mods are pretty picky about their flooring, wouldn't you agree? This house has a couple of different color carpets, and hardwoods as well. The best flooring for me was the original mosaic tile in the bathrooms.

We went to 2 other houses as well on our open house tour yesterday. We needed a little break from getting ready for our own open house!

4919 Heatherglen - very interesting "mod mansion". Would be great for entertaining lots of people.

5002 Lymbar - very cool mod house. It had most of the original charm. It was a little dark because of all the shutters, but I don't know if you'd want to take them all off or not. Very convenient location (for better or worse) close to Bellfort.

Looking around made me realize that it will probably be hard for the people (sohomod for example) who want to find their mod house in a "good neighborhood" for under $250K. At least on our side of town, most of the mods are in neighborhoods where $250K means you've got a lot of work to do.

To me that says that Westbury and Willowbend should continue to be on the rise, as people realize that they can get good homes cheaper there and work together to make those neighborhoods (schools, retail, beauty, noise) better (or is this wishful thinking?)

Jason

The white floor tiles are HUGE. What are they made of?

http://www.wilsonart.com/corporate/history...use_history.asp

Go here and do the slide show for more info on that tile. Houston Mod did a tour here last year. I couldn't go, unfortunately, but the person who restored this house went and was inspired by the wilsonart house enough to use the same tile. The small black tiles are intricate and detailed. It's almost an alternative to terrazo, but not quite. Mods are pretty picky about their flooring, wouldn't you agree? This house has a couple of different color carpets, and hardwoods as well. The best flooring for me was the original mosaic tile in the bathrooms.

Looking around made me realize that it will probably be hard for the people (sohomod for example) who want to find their mod house in a "good neighborhood" for under $250K. At least on our side of town, most of the mods are in neighborhoods where $250K means you've got a lot of work to do.

To me that says that Westbury and Willowbend should continue to be on the rise, as people realize that they can get good homes cheaper there and work together to make those neighborhoods (schools, retail, beauty, noise) better (or is this wishful thinking?)

Jason

Hey Jason, I see more pictures of that flooring, but I can't tell what it really is. Is it White Ceramic with black grout? Is it Laminate flooring on the slab?

Thanks!

flipper

What is the price/sq ft in the Westbury 1 area, or is it the same throughout the other Westbury sections? I 'm a newbie to real estate properties, but I think Westbury 1 is more desireable.

Also, when I purchased my home on Torchlight, the foundation was done, along with updating the electrical system/recessed lighting. There's 2 boxes currently used, and the previous owner added GCFI's and 3 prong outlets throughout. However, he left the remaining 2 prongs outlets also, so theres quite a few outlets. The AC was changed a couple of years ago. I went in a repainted the entire home, tiled the "wet areas", tiled the countertops, and changed out the plumbing fixtures, water heater etc.. We resurfaced the woodfloors. Total move in condition... What is the difference in $$/sq ft for a ready move-in home and minor fixer upper in Westbury?

I totally agree on the need to beautifying S. Post Oak. When I tell people I live near S. Post Oak, they cringe.. Annie do make decent burgers...

135/foot for completely updated. Of course that is subjective. If a roof still has life in it (3+ years), a rehabber probably isn't going to change it. We put 200amp electrical services in our houses, but we leave the 2 prong outlets (we don't rewire the entire house). We typically gut both bathrooms and kitchen and rebuild. But yes, definetly, move in ready, modernized house.

I ate at annies hamburgers for lunch and was reminded of the crappy retail we have along S. Post Oak :(

What is the price/sq ft in the Westbury 1 area, or is it the same throughout the other Westbury sections? I 'm a newbie to real estate properties, but I think Westbury 1 is more desireable.

Also, when I purchased my home on Torchlight, the foundation was done, along with updating the electrical system/recessed lighting. There's 2 boxes currently used, and the previous owner added GCFI's and 3 prong outlets throughout. However, he left the remaining 2 prongs outlets also, so theres quite a few outlets. The AC was changed a couple of years ago. I went in a repainted the entire home, tiled the "wet areas", tiled the countertops, and changed out the plumbing fixtures, water heater etc.. We resurfaced the woodfloors. Total move in condition... What is the difference in $$/sq ft for a ready move-in home and minor fixer upper in Westbury?

I totally agree on the need to beautifying S. Post Oak. When I tell people I live near S. Post Oak, they cringe.. Annie do make decent burgers...

Tough question.

There's so many ways to "update" a house. Fixtures range from $20-$500. Tile Ranges from home depot ceramic to travertine, trim ranges from barely existant, to well done, shower doors range from $150-$1500 etc...

It's hard to say what it will sell for without actually "seeing" the updates.

I just bought a house on Benning on Friday. It's in section 5. I paid about 61 dollars a square foot. It is in pretty original condition. Carpet over hardwoods, original baths, wood panelling... the whole 9.

We plan to resell it for about 103 a square foot after rehab.

We sold one in section 1 of westbury last july for 106 a foot. We paid $58 a foot for it.

flipper

Hey Jason, I see more pictures of that flooring, but I can't tell what it really is. Is it White Ceramic with black grout? Is it Laminate flooring on the slab?

Thanks!

flipper

The flooring is called Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT). It is made by Armstrong and is just like the ones available in the 50's and 60's, but now it is only sold as Commercial Grade. The design is actually 6 white 12 inch tiles together bounded by a solid black "feature strip." It is available in many colors. Venetian Blind and Flooring has a good selection (Bissonnet @ Kirby). It costs more than most ceramic tile, but is way worth it. I have nasty beige Home Depot tile in my kitchen (from the previous owner) and plan to rip it out and put VCT.

Thanks for the input, and I agree on your thoughts.

What are your styles of rehab? Depending on the condition of the home, do you guys do the basic or extreme rehabs? I'm just trying to learn so sorry for the questions...

Tough question.

There's so many ways to "update" a house. Fixtures range from $20-$500. Tile Ranges from home depot ceramic to travertine, trim ranges from barely existant, to well done, shower doors range from $150-$1500 etc...

It's hard to say what it will sell for without actually "seeing" the updates.

I just bought a house on Benning on Friday. It's in section 5. I paid about 61 dollars a square foot. It is in pretty original condition. Carpet over hardwoods, original baths, wood panelling... the whole 9.

We plan to resell it for about 103 a square foot after rehab.

We sold one in section 1 of westbury last july for 106 a foot. We paid $58 a foot for it.

flipper

Thanks for the input, and I agree on your thoughts.

What are your styles of rehab? Depending on the condition of the home, do you guys do the basic or extreme rehabs? I'm just trying to learn so sorry for the questions...

Hey,

I posted a few pictures of some of our houses in this thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=5159

flipper

The flooring is called Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT). It is made by Armstrong and is just like the ones available in the 50's and 60's, but now it is only sold as Commercial Grade. The design is actually 6 white 12 inch tiles together bounded by a solid black "feature strip." It is available in many colors. Venetian Blind and Flooring has a good selection (Bissonnet @ Kirby). It costs more than most ceramic tile, but is way worth it. I have nasty beige Home Depot tile in my kitchen (from the previous owner) and plan to rip it out and put VCT.

The 1950s and 1960s tiles were 9" x 9" (and have asbestos in them) where the new ones only come 12" x 12". The Wilson house still has the original 9x9 tiles in the bathrooms but the kitchen/dining area was replicated with the new size tiles and feature strips. The Wilson living room was originally carpet but it was replaced with 12x12 aqua colored tiles without feature strips when the house became a museum.

I saw the house Sunday and it is beautiful. The value of the architect becomes evident here. He was successful in fine-tuning the plan to remove any awkwardness. It has a lot of extra details at the entry, cabinentry, storage, light switches, and window selection. The asian accents are very appropriate for this house. Much of the basis of modern architecture are the principles of Asian design. In the late 50s and early 60s, Chinese Modern was a huge design trend. I have even heard it discussed on TV shows of the period like Hazel and Mr. Ed.

The carpet in the living/dining room is perfect for the period too. Wood floors were seen as dreadful and out dated in the late 50s and early 60s. Decoraters and styleish housewifes had wood floors carpeted as soon as funds permitted. I especially liked the back screen door and the horizontal crank windows in the kitchen and breakfast room. I have seen a lot of Mods that are award winning designs but don't really seem very comfortable and livable but this house has a very good feel.

Are the hanging lights in the foyer new?

Spaceage - I thought we were going to run into you at the open house, but unfortunately we didn't. Good to hear you made it over there, and great to hear your comments. You have a way with understanding and appreciating nuance.

I think those foyer lights are replacement, but they look great. The kitchen and breakfast fixtures are to die for. I loved the kitchen clock. Is that staying with the new owner? I guess it might be negotiable!

Well, everyone will certainly be interested to know who ends up with this house...

Jason

Are the hanging lights in the foyer new?

Well, they say there's a story behind everything ...

The lights are vintage mid-century originals (probably early 60's) that I spied lying in a corner at Mid-Century Pavilion while on a mod recon trip with the owner last year. I knew that the matched hanging pair would be a perfect replacement for the ugly faux-Tuscan ones that were over the planter when the house was purchased. They were a little dusty but incredibly original - a little polish and they sparkled again.

The lights are really unique, made out of finned, gold-anodized extruded aluminum, with the areas between the fins painted off-white. When turned on, light shines out the bottom and top, but just barely glows between the fins on the sides, so you're not blinded when looking straight at them. I'm guessing that spacecraft rocket booster engines inspired their design, like so many other items produced at that time.

Pretty cool, huh?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived