97 Rock Radio Station

enviromain

Moby is one of the more famous Crossvillians out there -- Crossville, Tennessee, that is, my hometown. I met him once, but he's several years older than me, old enough that we weren't in high school at the same time. We do know a lot of the same people, though. I remember him being on the radio in Crossville (WAEW and WCSV -- both AMs). I was also living in Fort Worth in the mid 80s when he moved from Houston to Dallas (the Eagle? 97FM or something like that). I don't think he was in Dallas very long, for whatever reason.

Oh my god, yes....I listened to Moby in the morning...what a perv!! Let's see, I was 12 or 13 I guess, would listen while I got ready for school. 97 went buh-bye and I soon got hooked on S & P a few years later...now I live for W & J and am just glad that the old station didn't completely fade away.

I remember the old, old KLOL stickers, before "Runaway Radio"...with the silver surfer lookin dude...

I had a Van Halen 97 Rock sticker in my locker :D

I loved KLOL. Remember Dana Steel? I still have my card showing I'm a Steel Worker. lol. I remember her last day on the air. She was moving to California. She was taking requests and asked for people to please NOT request Stairway To Heaven. She would absolutely explode if she had to play the song one more time. lol. I still have a KLOL T-shirt that I bought at Texas Tapes and Records. It was the kind with 3/4 inch sleeves. It was Gray with the silver dude with the lightening bolt on the front. The sleeves were bright red. Now I stick with Dean and Rog and Susie.

I knew Moby's (first?) wife slightly. I went to elementary school with her and she lived near us in Lake Jackson. After elementary school her family moved to the thriving metropolis of Danbury. I didn't see her again until we both were seniors in high school; at that time she had blossomed into a spectacularly beautiful redhead. A few years later I heard that she had married Moby at the height of his Houston fame. I think she was a buyer for (then) Joske's and met Moby at some charity function. She is the mother of Moby's son Jonah (from the belly of the whale, get it?)

When I was at Rice in the early 80's it was a common practice to get those black and white "97 FM Rocks" bumper stickers and cut them up to spell things like "97 FM sucks" or "97 old socks." People still do that with Rice's KTRU bumper stickers.

I knew Moby's (first?) wife slightly. I went to elementary school with her and she lived near us in Lake Jackson. After elementary school her family moved to the thriving metropolis of Danbury. I didn't see her again until we both were seniors in high school; at that time she had blossomed into a spectacularly beautiful redhead. A few years later I heard that she had married Moby at the height of his Houston fame. I think she was a buyer for (then) Joske's and met Moby at some charity function. She is the mother of Moby's son Jonah (from the belly of the whale, get it?)

When I was at Rice in the early 80's it was a common practice to get those black and white "97 FM Rocks" bumper stickers and cut them up to spell things like "97 FM sucks" or "97 old socks." People still do that with Rice's KTRU bumper stickers.

This'll make us all feel old; Moby's a grandpa.

Yeah Baby!

I liked Moby. But, he was one of those people you either loved or hated.

He used to crack me up talking about women's "Puppies" all the time. :lol:

I used to really respect John Matthews as well...he went on to do a talk Radio Show on 950 KPRC and then was -- disgustingly -- busted for flashing himself to some kid.

Really, really disappointing...and disgusting. And very sad to see someone you looked up to on the radio commit such a disgusting crime.

Disastro

That's your idea of surreal? You seem to have a very ordinary life.

RIGHT! I am sure that kind of stuff happens to YOU everyday, you can go back to reading your Penthouse Forum letters now, Chief.

We still have about 15 or so 97 Rock stickers stuck on mom's garage door. Great glue I guess! These guys and 101 KLOL are the only radio stations I know of that used to have promo's at record store's with free beer. You would show up and there was a big keg of brew waiting to be drank. It was normally to promote a new album or some concert coming to town. You'll never see that again. Fun days! :D

• 4 weeks later...

gunslinger, from arcadia, mo. will weigh in this , now i ain't never done this before, so bear w/ mw if it aint right,

back in the very early 80's i remember when moby and matthews first went on the air @ 97 KSRR, w/ the slogan Kick "S" Rock & Roll, they used to do live remote broadcasts from a bar out on either richmond blvd or it may have been on westminster, out on s.w.side of town, I believe it was called "The Aggora Ballroom" sponsered by a bedroom store," Waterbeds Inc." maybe? Moby would be in pajamas and lay up in bed and broadcast, the bar would open @ 5 a.m. and drinks were availale at 6:30 w/bloody marys being the drink of choice for the majority, myself and my roommate would call in sick and spend a couple of hours, met them both (Moby and Matthews) several times....97 rocks....deid indeed rock the early 80's in houston, texas.

I remember the jokes about the 3 nuns and also the mailman song from Moby. Things I don't think would be on the radio today.

Holy crap, I STILL sing the Mailman song... "I don't mess with keys or locks, I just stick it in your box..." ROTFL!! :lol:

I also remember "Men, men, men....a ship all filled with men...so throw your ru**ers overboard, there's no one here but men!" :lol:

Here's a bumper sticker I haven't seen on here. This is from a photograph of the sticker on a chrome bumper so the quality is all that it ever will be. I believe this sticker was from 1970.

KRBE_Bumper_Sticker_1969.jpg

You can find that one along with others at http://www.radioemporium.com. Lots of old radio logos and bumper stickers

• 5 years later...

oh yes.Always woke up to moby.I had a delivery route and would load up my pinto and take off driving and singing to mobys songs. The mailman song and the morning astrology guide were my favorites. moby was always making fun of someone especially michael pollard and mayor whitmire. Boy i miss those days.klol was the good station too. i still have some t shirts and bumper stickers somewhere. the good o;d days of houston.

• The title was changed to 97 Rock Radio Station

Archived