Turner Hall On Prairie St.

Highrise Tower

I need to verify the location of this building. I thought I read it was on Prairie Street, but I could be totally wrong.  I'll look into this a little more later.

Edit: Turner's Hall- Corner of Prairie Street and Caroline Street.

This event venue is slightly confusing.  The official postcard alludes to the actual name of the complex?  Maybe I'm just misreading things?

Progressive Houston, Volume II (1910 - 1911) mentions this:

QetNxMi.jpg

Exterior and Garden View of Turner Hall, Bowling Alleys and Band Stand, Covering One block of Ground.

LmwumG2.jpg

Houston Turner Hall- Interior View of Dance Hall, Sixty by One Hundred Feet - Maple Floor.

XcNZyQe.jpg

Houston Turner Hall- Ladies' Reception Hall.

R3UqyiQ.jpg

Houston Turner Hall- Ladies' and Gentleman's Lunch Room.

6vklTsb.jpg

Houston Turner Hall- Bowling Alleys- Six in Number- Standard in All Features- Largest in Texas

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ross said:

Turnverein is a German athletic club. Here's a article on the one mentioned above https://www.heritagesociety.org/turnverein

That's correct. Turner is German for gymnast. A Turnverein is literally a gymnastics club. But most of them seem to have become much more, such as having bowling alleys. One I'm familiar with that's still very much in operation has a restaurant and bar and is a big wedding and special events venue, in addition to gymnastics classes.

• Like 1