I was researching Carolyn Homoiselle Grant this week.  I forgot that The Fay School on North Post Oak Road was named after her.

Carolyn Homoiselle Grant married Ernest Bel Fay and was renamed Carolyn Grant-Fay.

Carolyn's father was the owner of John F. Grant Lumber Co. and was doing well for himself. One internet article mentioned the family estate was 52-acres that was located at Holcombe & Bertner. 

When Carolyn Grant-Fay sold the family land in the area she made an agreement with TMC to build a park in the redevelopment.  Now, the park is named Grant-Fay Park and is located at 1368 Holcombe Blvd. After my research on HAIF, there is appears there is left over Harris Gully in the park.  I really need to go check it out! The HAIF poster states: At the north end of this park, about 15 feet from Holcombe, is a 20 foot deep gully that extends the full length of the park, west to east.

It looks like the Texas Medical Center Garage 2 was built over the family estate? The address of the garage is 6740-6798 Bertner Ave.

City of Houston
Planning and Development Department

Archaeological & Historical Commission

Buildings by Sam H. Dixon, Jr.

James A Baker, Jr., House, 1216 Bissonnet Avenue (1926)
Sam H. Dixon, Jr., House, 1612 Bissonnet Avenue (c. 1927, demolished)
Colonial Country Club, (1927-28)
William H. Curtin House, 2504 Del Monte (1928)
Jack W. Lander House, 1714 South Boulevard (1929)

Buildings by Briscoe & Dixon:

John T. Crotty House, 4 Longfellow Lane (1921-23)
Y.W.C.A. Home, 1118 Crawford Street (1922-23; demolished)
John McCleean House, 4100 Milam Street, (1923; altered)
Alterations to J.J. Caroll House, 16 Courtlandt Place (1923)
William L. Clayton Summer House, 3376 Inwood Drive (1924)
Henry Stude House, 14 Remington Lane (1924)
John F. Dickson, Jr., House, 1311 South Boulevard (1924-25)
W.D. Cleveland, Jr., House, 1323 South Boulevard (1924-24, extensively altered)
Jordan Motor Company Building, 1211-1219 McKinney Avenue (1924-25; demolished)
Walter H. Walne House, 1405 South Boulevard (1924-25)
Redbird House, 3237 Inwood Drive (1925)
James S. Hogg Junior High School, 1100 Merrill Street (1925-26, with Maurice J. Sullivan)
Jefferson Davis (later Northside) Senior High School, 1200 Quitman Street (1925-06 with Maurice J. Sullivan)
Craig F. Cullinan House, 6 Longfellow Lane (1925-26)
John F. Grant House, 1401 Holcombe Boulevard (1925-26; demolished)

Would love to see a photo of this house!! Sounds amazing!!

uafzIPV.jpg

Aerial Photograph in 1944:

PJYYXlt.jpg

Aerial Photograph in 1978:

BbbPVQr.jpg

• Like 1

I believe the Grant-Fay family had several parcels in the Texas Medical Center.

Another parcel was where the current-day Modera Flats multifamily complex is, at 1755 Wyndale Street.

Looks like the University of Houston System was in control of the land back in Aug 15, 2012.

Carolyn Grant-Faye Tract – Proposed Land Sale

History:
The tract of land was gifted to the endowment by Carolyn Grant-Fay in 1996. At that tine, the Carolyn Grant-Fay endowment was established and considered fully funded at the fair market value of the real estate, which was $1.26 million. Over $1.1 million of income has been distributed from the endowment since inception and supports certain psychology program and activities in the Honors College. The System mad the decision to fold the land for future appreciation which benefits all endowments with the endowment fund.

Current Valuation:
The property was re-appraised in 2012 with a valuation of $11 million, due in large part to increasing market values in the area spurred by increased development activity. The property's location along with the lack of developable sites in the immediate area have further influenced the property's positive growth in the market value.

CDZ9onR.jpg

cTgKDfB.jpg

I can''t find the documentation right now, but wasn't there a third TMC Grant-Fay parcel?

I thought the family donated/sold land that's bordered between Fannin, Pressler, and South Main?

Today, 3 buildings are built on the slender parcel. * In the future, there will be another high-rise building on the surface lot to the right.  I give it 5 to 10 years!

VGarY9y.jpg

Found the two mansions!

I had help from the Houston Gargoyle Magazine map dated May 1, 1932, with the map called Houston's Cradle of Culture & Environs.

Marlborough (or Holcombe) Drive
Rolling Lawns, Rolling Lawns
Citadels of Capitalism (with scenic grandeur, with sunken gardens, and maybe an iron deer or two.)

HiLxhmj.jpg

5j4dmXT.jpg

Google Earth aerial photographs from 1953. I mapped with the address of 1400 Holcombe Drive, which placed me in the middle of the mansions.

It looks like the mansion on the right was demolished first, to make way for MD Anderson's Mayfair Apartments. The remaining mansion stood standing for a few more decades.

TRgJCDZ.jpg

of0RbOu.jpg

U2ROcIo.jpg

• The title was changed to John Grant Mansion At 1401 Holcombe Blvd.
  • 4 weeks later...

Found this home in an aerial photograph! Might the most clear image we will ever find.  The mansion was surrounded by trees, so it's hard to make out.  The detail on the home is outstanding though!

Aerial photograph is said to be taken in 1972. As you can see the other mansion has already been demolished and MD Anderson's Mayfield Hotel has been built.

DasBqv1.jpg

ViiPv7o.jpg

• Like 1