On 7/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, Texasota said:

Every new house on the west end of the island decreases its ability to mitigate against flooding and increases the risk to everyone else.

Genuinely curious, so I'll ask again...  Why do new houses on the west end decrease the island's ability to mitigate flooding and why do they increase the risk to everyone else?

Regarding housing & related construction on Galveston Island's west end...  I'm likewise curious why do "new houses on the west end decrease the island's ability to mitigate flooding and why do they increase the risk to everyone else?"

As a long time tourist, I've always assumed that Galveston Island's west end begins where westbound traffic transitions from Seawall Blvd to Termini-San Luis Pass Road.

This project is on 11 mile road and is about 1/2 mile east of GISP.  I wouldn't quite call it the "west end" of the island.   But that is just island semantics.

The dunes along that stretch from GISP going east have taken a beating from storms and development that goes right up to the sand.  Most of the dunes along that stretch are all but non-existent.  It may just be a lousy rendering, but the buildings along the shore look like they are too close to allow for the development of healthy dunes.  That would be my biggest concern.  A few of the houses at Pirates Beach are past where the dunes should be due to storms and erosion.  I could see the front row of homes on this development ending up in the middle of the beach if storms and sea level rise take their toll.  If you took out the front line of houses and dedicated that space for dune redevelopment, that would make a big difference.  Pointe West, for all its problems, did a good job rebuilding the dunes.  I was there during a tropical storm during the pandemic.  The ocean surged right up onto the dunes.  But instead of water flooding into the neighborhood, the marsh behind the dunes happily soaked up the water.  That should really be the standard for any new development along the coastline in Galveston.

This section of the island is also an important section of coastal prairie going back to the bay side of the island.  Laffite's Cove is an important migrant trap for birds and east of it is a good section of contiguous coastal prairie that is almost completely uninterrupted from the bay to the beach. A very dense development like this is going to have a negative impact.  And every inch of coast line that does not have lights helps out sea turtles who mistake the lights for moon light and end up getting stuck on shore or getting run over on the street.  

It's the dunes! Kudos to s3mh for pointing out (now that I have read the posting) what should have been obvious. If I understand the posting correctly, dunes to block surging water, preferably in conjunction with adjacent marshlands to soak up the excess water, are needed to facilitate the more gradual release of the water in a manner less likely to cause flooding.

• 7 months later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2024/03/28/roseate-beach-galveston-homes-construction-start.html

Groundbreaking ceremony for Roseate Beach held on March 26.  Same renderings in the article as posted above ^^^

"Construction is expected to start “any day” now on streets and infrastructure for Roseate Beach, a 160-home beachfront community in west Galveston."

• Like 2