Cy-Fair Berry Stadium

mrfootball

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've talked with a friend who was the project mgr on the Bright Complex at A&M, his dad is a partner with Spaw-Glass, general contractor for the Berry Center. They said that at the time it was built, it (the Berry Center) was the nicest facility of its kind in the country. If you can find anything better, I'd love to see it.

http://texas.construction.com/features/arc...01_feature4.asp

I drove by the Berry Center this weekend. It is the finest facility that we know of in the nation (the stadium at least). There are some school district conference centers that can give the actually center a run for its money (the Merrell Center in Katy for instance).

Well I guess Cy Fair residents will think twice when the next Bond Election takes place. I guess the residents of Cy Fair have no one really to blame but themselves. They passed the bonds, and they elected the school board members.

It sounds like, "I want to live in Cy Fair where the schools are great and the educational facilities are the best, but I really don't want to pay for these things." Cry me a freakin river.

4500 voters out of 200,000 registered voters is not a mandate - it's either a lack of interest or lack of information. I think more people are starting to take interest and there is more information out than there has been in the past. The turnout that was present at the tax rate meeting is a sign of things to come.

And I don't think it's fair to say that the average person in CyFair wants great education and not have to pay for it. How about great education and facilities at a reasonable cost? Did we need a "multi-purpose facility and football stadium?" Perhaps, but I don't think we needed one on such a grand scale. The multi-purpose building is not educating anyone, and I don't see how much more football spirit you can gain by spending 30 million instead of 10 million, unless you are a fan of the Katy Texas Copperheads.

Don

Co-Founder "CyFair Citizens"

Massachussetts isn't tasked with having to educate half of Mexico.

Ah, nothing like trying to to deflect reckless spending by blaming half of Mexico instead of actually spending the money on books, tutoring and higher SAT scores.

BTW, Red accused you of being a Democrat but we all know that couldn't be true. You are a Republican in the truest sense: Borrow and Spend like there's no tomorrow while you leave all children behind. Congratulations! :)

Ah, nothing like trying to to deflect reckless spending by blaming half of Mexico instead of actually spending the money on books, tutoring and higher SAT scores.

Um, okay. We'll just pretend like they're not there.

And as far spending money on books, tutoring and higher SAT scores. Take a peek at the budget before you spout off, numbnuts.

Um, okay. We'll just pretend like they're not there.

And as far spending money on books, tutoring and higher SAT scores. Take a peek at the budget before you spout off, numbnuts.

I did. You don't spend enough. Texas ranks lowest for SAT scores-47th or 48th-not sure which. Last year Langham Creek ranked #970(?)-I know because my sister put her girls in private school-she refused to settle for being in 970th place when it came to her kids. But you choose to vote for legislators who work against your children's best interests and you add insult to injury when you vote to build extravagant temples to football. Why don't you just step up and admit what it's really all about instead of embarrasing yourself futher by calling someone "numbnuts"?

I guess I missed the part where I was the one responsible for the Texas public school system?

You are one paranoid SOB.

BTW, why not attempt to be intellectually honest for a moment and realize the correllation b/w the Texas Public School System's abyssmal ratings and sheer numbers of illegal and immigrant children enrolled in our schools. Look at their SAT scores, achievement tests and dropout rates. Quantify the amount of money used to pay for more teachers to handle this massive influx, bilingual education, textbooks, school lunch programs, etc. This is the reality.

I love how this thread starts out as a discussion about a remarkable facility and then degrades into a commentary about everything that's wrong with the Texas public system.

Hijacked again.

Just a question......Because I'm not familiar with the district. Are there any students in the Cy Fair district attending classes in "temporary" or "portable" type structures?

CFISD has new schools that are less than five years old that have rows of temporary buildings outside to hold the overflow. This district can't build schools fast enough, but it didn't waste any time building a football stadium and athletic complex the ancient Romans would have envied.

This school board knows what's really important, and they're not going to let the educational needs of children stand in the way of providing a palace for childrens' games. Must keep the jockocracy happy.

CFISD has new schools that are less than five years old that have rows of temporary buildings outside to hold the overflow. This district can't build schools fast enough, but it didn't waste any time building a football stadium and athletic complex the ancient Romans would have envied.

This school board knows what's really important, and they're not going to let the educational needs of children stand in the way of providing a palace for childrens' games. Must keep the jockocracy happy.

Excellent post-and you did it without calling anyone numbnuts or a paranoid SOB. "...the jockocracy..."-priceless!

I think you'll also find that temporary buildings are a fairly common site in booming areas. If you know of a single school district that doesn't make use of them, I'd be surprised. Growth in the District has exceeded projections every year. What can you say? They're opening up new schools faster than any other district in the state. With that said, here in this part of the district, Cypress (77429) I think enrollment has been managed fairly well considering the massive growth.

CFISD is a huge district, with some 700,000+ people. Even if you split it in two (which I would welcome), you'd still have two very large school districts. It's only going to get larger, as growth continues on a massive scale.

What would you have suggested they do instead Filo? Cancel all extra-curricular programs? Can 10 High Schools share one stadium? Should they have to? How much do you think it would've cost to have built a new football stadium, multi-purpose arena, conference center, multimedia production and educational support facility?

I'd be more upset with the Berry Center if they didn't do it right. But they did, it's a smart, first class facility that area residents can be proud of. It's the best, hands down and it will be for years to come until somebody tries to top it. It sits next to another first class facility, Cy-Fair College which was also paid for by taxpayers. IMO, If we're going to pay the taxes (which we are), then I hope they build nothing but the best facilities money can buy.

With that said, I'm glad there's a Watchdog group. I think its important to hold government accountable. I hope they can provide added value to the educational atmosphere in/around CFISD.

For the large area it covers, only 150,000 kids. Alief I.S.D. is as big as Cy-Woods' zone, but has 47,000 kids.

That doesn't seem like such a great thing to me. I don't know anything about how large an area it serves, but Alief has a ton of multi-family housing with kids packed into apartments and other housing. Higher density not exactly a plus in my mind.

Slight correction on the enrollment. Cy-Fair ISD has around 100,000 kids right now. It's growing by about 6-9k per year over the last few years, and projected to continue at a similar rate.

Only the 3rd largest ISD in the state.

• 1 month later...

We've recently had the distinct pleasure of visiting "The Palace" in Round Rock, the Waco ISD Stadium Complex, and The Berry Center for all the high school football play-off games the Klein Oak Panthers football team played this month. We, having been used to playing at Klein Memorial Stadium, were seriously blown away by these awesome sports facilities. All of them "felt" brand-new, making us wonder if there's been a sudden boom lately in buildings of these types going up in Texas. Anyone know? For some photos from Waco Stadium and Berry Center, you can click on I'm a Northampton Neighbor.

I actually have a thread of the "Boom" on Dallasmetropolis. Its been going on this whole decade. Some really nice stuff out there. Especially in the Dallas area. I went to Garland High School and went down to the Berry Center to watch them vs Klein Oak. Hands down best high school facility I've been to. Never been to Mansfield or Kincaid in Dallas, but wow. From the ramps, double deck setup, to the scoreboard. I've been to others with some of these elements, but not all put together so nicely. I hear Kincaid in Dallas, Mansfield and Grande Communications are the only ones comparable.

Archived