Lyons Ave and Maury St

IntheKnowHouston

The land parcels at Lyons Ave and Maury St are in the Fifth Ward neighborhood. This site is borders the Near Northside area.

This property is bounded by Elysian St to the east, Lyons Avenue to the north, Maury St to the east, and Providence St to the south.

Across the street from this property is Hennessy Park at 1900 Lyons Ave. Located two blocks over is 2000 Lyons Ave, the site of Saint Arnold Brewing Company.

Saint Arnold Brewing Company is the landowner of this property.

QxL5mPn.jpg

Sa1Y9WW.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Below is a map outlining the tracts of land located at Lyons Ave and Maury St. 

There are nine parcels in total on this block. Beginning at the lower left parcels at Providence St and Elysian St, those parcels are:

• 0 Elysian St - 0.11 acres
  • 1809 Providence St - 0.05 acres
  • 1106 Elysian St - 0.05 acres
  • 1108 Elysian St - 0.05 acres
  • 1110 Elysian St - 0.04 acres
  • 0 Elysian St - 0.04 acres
  • 0 Lyons Ave - 0.09 acres
  • 1118 Elysian St - 0.25 acres
  • 1101 Maury St - 0.69 acres

O1UsrTx.jpg

Two days ago, a proposed plat for the property at Lyons Ave and Maury St was submitted to city's planning department. It was reviewed by a planner, but the status as of yesterday is it's awaiting completeness. That means "the application and/or documents did not meet Plat Tracker criteria or required documents are missing," according to the Plat Tracker guide.

The subdivision name of the proposed plat is Saint Arnoldville at Lyons Avenue. According to the information submitted, the reserve size is 1.16 acres. 

Developers are proposing to split the following parcels:

1106 Elysian St
1108 Elysian St
1110 Elysian St
0 Elysian St

With the exception of the 0 Lyons parcel, developers are requesting combining the rest into one reserve.

Currently, Saint Arnold is utilizing the 1101 Maury St parcel as an off-site parking lot for patrons.

I don't know if this property will continue as a parking lot or if there are plans for something else.

While there is a topic for the Saint Arnold Brewing Co. at 2000 Lyons Ave, perhaps this property should remain its own topic.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/36643-st-arnolds-expansion/

iAPvlCb.jpg

1D9JpFv.jpg

bUQW1rB.jpg

4 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I don't know if this property will continue as a parking lot or if there are plans for something else.

They are proposing one unrestricted reserve, so it could be anything.

I can't imagine that they are going through the hassle of a replat with a public hearing to keep it as a parking lot. I imagine that they'll plan on building some form of structure here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wilcal said:

They are proposing one unrestricted reserve, so it could be anything.

I can't imagine that they are going through the hassle of a replat with a public hearing to keep it as a parking lot. I imagine that they'll plan on building some form of structure here.

That makes sense and what I was thinking as well. 

This stretch of Lyons is going to be something else in the next few years. Saint Arnold is already hopping. With the forthcoming redevelopment of the Moncrief-Lenoir property and the addition of Meow Wolf, I am looking forward to whatever else is in store for this area.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@hindesky there is an ongoing topic about this...

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/51923-lyons-ave-and-maury-st/

And the post from the existing topic regarding the plat two months ago:
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/51923-lyons-ave-and-maury-st/?do=findComment&comment=684454

On 7/22/2023 at 5:33 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The subdivision name of the proposed plat is Saint Arnoldville at Lyons Avenue. According to the information submitted, the reserve size is 1.16 acres. 

Developers are proposing to split the following parcels:

1106 Elysian St
1108 Elysian St
1110 Elysian St
0 Elysian St

@Triton @Urbannizer please merge this with the existing topic in the Fifth Ward forum.

• 2 weeks later...

My knee-jerk reaction is that a good use of this site would be the only thing that could get anyone to justify the expense of a park on that adjacent site anymore, but I have no firsthand understanding of the actual value of having this city park in such a spot

I like that the railroad line remains signed as Maffitt, like the city maps show:

IMG_3300.jpeg

Edited by strickn
Accidentally inserted spoiler boxes and so removed them
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 8:50 AM, strickn said:

My knee-jerk reaction is that a good use of this site would be the only thing that could get anyone to justify the expense of a park on that adjacent site anymore, but I have no firsthand understanding of the actual value of having this city park in such a spot

There is no real expense as most parks are donated land and the city only has to maintain  the property, given the cost to send out a cleaning crew once a month is minimal, it lack of structures( outside of the basketball court and the field... ) it really doesn't even register on the budget