Beat the heat tips

Beat the Heat - Stay Cool During Scorching Temperatures!

Did you know that choosing natural spaces over concrete can make a significant difference in temperature? Concrete absorbs and retains heat, contributing to the formation of heat islands in urban areas (learn more here). By seeking out green spaces like parks or gardens, you'll experience cooler temperatures and enjoy the added benefit of being close to nature.

So when the sun's rays feel relentless, there's no need to suffer - embrace the power of nature to stay cool! Seek out the shelter of leafy trees to escape the direct heat of the sun. Plus, shade provides a tranquil and inviting atmosphere to relax and unwind. So, grab a good book or a picnic blanket and find the perfect shady spot to spend your summer days. Maybe one of our favorite Houston natural spaces, found below:

Apart from shade, there are a few more tricks up our sleeves to combat the heat. Staying hydrated is crucial, so keep a reusable water bottle handy and drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Opt for loose, breathable clothing made from natural fibers like cotton, as they allow air to circulate around your body, preventing overheating. 

So, don't let the summer heat get you down! Seek refuge outside, stay cool, and enjoy the beauty of summer!

10 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Beat the Heat - Stay Cool During Scorching Temperatures!

Did you know that choosing natural spaces over concrete can make a significant difference in temperature? Concrete absorbs and retains heat, contributing to the formation of heat islands in urban areas (learn more here). By seeking out green spaces like parks or gardens, you'll experience cooler temperatures and enjoy the added benefit of being close to nature.

So when the sun's rays feel relentless, there's no need to suffer - embrace the power of nature to stay cool! Seek out the shelter of leafy trees to escape the direct heat of the sun. Plus, shade provides a tranquil and inviting atmosphere to relax and unwind. So, grab a good book or a picnic blanket and find the perfect shady spot to spend your summer days. Maybe one of our favorite Houston natural spaces, found below:

Apart from shade, there are a few more tricks up our sleeves to combat the heat. Staying hydrated is crucial, so keep a reusable water bottle handy and drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Opt for loose, breathable clothing made from natural fibers like cotton, as they allow air to circulate around your body, preventing overheating. 

So, don't let the summer heat get you down! Seek refuge outside, stay cool, and enjoy the beauty of summer!

When it's 101 outside, seek refuge inside.

32 minutes ago, editor said:

Easy to say when you have an inside in which to seek refuge.

It is, but for the tiny fraction of people who are homeless, suggesting they go to the park when there are in fact many public places that have air conditioning plus the cooling centers set up by the city seems a bit silly.

18 minutes ago, august948 said:

It is, but for the tiny fraction of people who are homeless, suggesting they go to the park when there are in fact many public places that have air conditioning plus the cooling centers set up by the city seems a bit silly.

The cooling centers are few and far between. 

For example, there are zero cooling centers in downtown Houston.  The nearest one is a 40-minute walk, mostly in full sun, in 100+° heat, and heat indicies over 110°.  

Many of the people who live on the street have problems which require them to take various medicines. A lot of medicines exacerbate any exposure to heat and sun.   As an example, many high blood pressure medications make people very sensitive to heat and direct sun. 

Moreover, many of the people living on the streets congregate downtown because that's where they can get help.  Either from the Beacon, or from the city-designated places where charities are permitted to hand out food, or from other municipal and social services, or from the suburban churches that drive vans into downtown and hand meals and hygiene packs out through the barely-cracked windows of their vans because they're afraid of the homeless, but have to keep up their charitable appearance so they can drive back to their McMansions in Spring and The Woodlands and tell their friends what good Christians they are for braving the scary, dark, crime-infested streets of the big city for their pastor and hey, I ordered a double-foam doppio oat milk frap, and this is a single-foam doppio oat milk frap, I demand you get your manager while I rant about this injustice on FaceTube. 

I don't like that sometimes there's a guy who sleeps in the planter in front of my building during the day.  But I can also understand why he might not want to walk an hour in the  hot sun just so he can sit in an air conditioned room for a few hours, and then get kicked out on the street again.

The cooling centers are only open 9am to 5pm.  The same hours that most social services are available.  So, the choice has to be made — sit in a cooled room, or find food  Sit in a cooled room, or try to get your stolen ID replaced so you can get a mailbox and eventually a job.  Sit in a cooled room, or sweep the gas station parking lots in Midtown for a few bucks so you can eat tonight.  Sit in a cooled room, or direct tourists into the parking lots for Astros games so you can earn a few bucks to buy some bandages to cover the sores on your feet you got from being shuffled from neighborhood to neighborhood.

When I lived in the desert, it was well-known that 5pm is the hottest time of the day.  I don't know if that's true in Houston, as well, but it always seemed strange to me to kick people out of cooling centers at 5pm.  It's like saying, "Wow, it's really hot out.  Like life-threateningly hot out.  But my shift is over, so out you go.  Good luck.  Try not to die."

• Like 1

The Citizens environmental Coalition offered those tips on how to beat the heat.

CEC also does this:

Citizens' Climate Lobby - Houston Central Chapter 

Citizens’ Climate Lobby is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, grassroots advocacy organization empowering people to experience breakthroughs exercising their personal and political power. Our chapter is just one of hundreds of chapters across the world working to create the political will for a livable world.

We’ve seen firsthand how passionate citizens who are well-trained, organized by district and with a good system of support can more than influence the political process.

5 hours ago, editor said:

The cooling centers are few and far between. 

For example, there are zero cooling centers in downtown Houston.  The nearest one is a 40-minute walk, mostly in full sun, in 100+° heat, and heat indicies over 110°.  

Many of the people who live on the street have problems which require them to take various medicines. A lot of medicines exacerbate any exposure to heat and sun.   As an example, many high blood pressure medications make people very sensitive to heat and direct sun. 

Moreover, many of the people living on the streets congregate downtown because that's where they can get help.  Either from the Beacon, or from the city-designated places where charities are permitted to hand out food, or from other municipal and social services, or from the suburban churches that drive vans into downtown and hand meals and hygiene packs out through the barely-cracked windows of their vans because they're afraid of the homeless, but have to keep up their charitable appearance so they can drive back to their McMansions in Spring and The Woodlands and tell their friends what good Christians they are for braving the scary, dark, crime-infested streets of the big city for their pastor and hey, I ordered a double-foam doppio oat milk frap, and this is a single-foam doppio oat milk frap, I demand you get your manager while I rant about this injustice on FaceTube. 

I don't like that sometimes there's a guy who sleeps in the planter in front of my building during the day.  But I can also understand why he might not want to walk an hour in the  hot sun just so he can sit in an air conditioned room for a few hours, and then get kicked out on the street again.

The cooling centers are only open 9am to 5pm.  The same hours that most social services are available.  So, the choice has to be made — sit in a cooled room, or find food  Sit in a cooled room, or try to get your stolen ID replaced so you can get a mailbox and eventually a job.  Sit in a cooled room, or sweep the gas station parking lots in Midtown for a few bucks so you can eat tonight.  Sit in a cooled room, or direct tourists into the parking lots for Astros games so you can earn a few bucks to buy some bandages to cover the sores on your feet you got from being shuffled from neighborhood to neighborhood.

When I lived in the desert, it was well-known that 5pm is the hottest time of the day.  I don't know if that's true in Houston, as well, but it always seemed strange to me to kick people out of cooling centers at 5pm.  It's like saying, "Wow, it's really hot out.  Like life-threateningly hot out.  But my shift is over, so out you go.  Good luck.  Try not to die."

No doubt mostly true, though a double-foam doppio oat milk frap seems more stereotypical of a different sort of poser.  However, the original community org post doesn't really seem targeted to the homeless population.

11 hours ago, editor said:

As I understand it, the Central Library had previously been designated as a cooling center, but that designation was removed recently due to unspecified "safety concerns".  But the homeless can apparently still use the library as a de facto cooling center as long as they follow library policies (have to wear shirt/shoes, no exposed undergarments, etc.). I haven't been to the Central Library in some time, but the last time I was there, there were more than a few homeless folks hanging out inside. They weren't bothering anyone, and no one was bothering them. Perhaps things have changed more recently.

45 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

As I understand it, the Central Library had previously been designated as a cooling center, but that designation was removed recently due to unspecified "safety concerns".  But the homeless can apparently still use the library as a de facto cooling center as long as they follow library policies (have to wear shirt/shoes, no exposed undergarments, etc.). I haven't been to the Central Library in some time, but the last time I was there, there were more than a few homeless folks hanging out inside. They weren't bothering anyone, and no one was bothering them. Perhaps things have changed more recently.

I think it's part of an ongoing pressure campaign from the city against a group called Food Not Bombs that feeds the homeless outside the library. There's been a bunch of articles about it in the newspaper over the last couple of years. 

The city is happy to have FNB relocate to a different place on the other side of the bayou where other charities do the same, and the city has social services people available, but FNB won't move, and has been given dozens of tickets. They just don't care, and pay the fine. It's a very weird situation. 

Not having the library as a cooling center reduces FNB's client base. But I don't think that will bother them. 

• Like 1