2201-2211 Congress St

The 15,000-square-foot parcel at 2201 Congress St sits on approximately 0.34 acres in East Downtown. It's on the hard corner of Congress St and Hutchins St.

Located on the property is a 4,317-square-foot warehouse. According to county records, the structure was built in 1930.

Adjacent to the 2201 Congress St parcel is 2211 Congress St. It is next to 2215-2219 Congress St in EaDo. The 2211 Congress parcel's square footage is 6,250 sf. 

Remnants of the building that once stood at 2211 Congress were demolished in 2019, according to Community Impact:

The original building on the site had been built in 1900, according to appraisal records. It had suffered a roof collapse in recent years, according to The Arch-ive, a website dedicated to preserving Houston-area architectural history.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/city-county/2019/07/01/demo-monday-eado-property-rice-village-coffee-shop-and-more-houston-demolition-permit-activity-june-24-28/

6A9ddah.jpg

hzU3CkR.jpg

Below are maps with the following parcels outlined:

• 2201 Congress St
  • 2211 Congress St

Both parcels are located on Block 209 in the SSBB subdivision. The 2201 Congress St parcel consists of three lots: 6, 7, and 8. Lot 12 is located on the 2211 Congress St parcel.

aqQ9G9N.jpg

w7RONqJ.jpg

Parcel map with the street addresses included. Located on the properties are:

• 2201 Congress St
  • 2209 Congress St
  • 2211 Congress St

WV3ywQJ.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

2211 Congress St was sold in December. The property is owned by an entity called 2211 Congress Investments LLC. According to entity filings, the entity is from Charles Kalas. Kalas is the proprietor of Joystix at 1820 Franklin St.

County records also shows Kalas purchased the 2201 Congress St parcel last month.

I don't know what is in store for the properties. However, a subordination of lease agreement on file with the county lists Joystix as a tenant. 

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

2211 Congress St was sold in December. The property is owned by an entity called 2211 Congress Investments LLC. According to entity filings, the entity is from Charles Kalas. Kalas is the proprietor of Joystix at 1820 Franklin St.

County records also shows Kalas purchased the 2201 Congress St parcel last month.

I don't know what is in store for the properties. However, a subordination of lease agreement on file with the county lists Joystix as a tenant. 

I may have briefly met him a few months ago.  I was walking by the building and admired his collection of machines through the window.  After I'd moved on, he came out of the store and called after me asking if I wanted to buy anything.  I told him, I didn't have room for that sort of thing, and asked him for suggestions for an arcade nearby. 

Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the place he told me, so I never went.

But from our brief interaction, he seemed at least neighborly and helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/11/2023 at 5:39 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Any updates regarding what's in planning for 2201 Congress St and 2211 Congress St? Are there plans for a parking lot on one or both properties? 

As noted this summer, lease agreement on file with the county lists Joystix as a tenant at 2201 Congress St.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, hindesky said:

Thanks @hindesky, but this is not planned for 2201 Congress St or 2211 Congress St. The museum is planned for the property next to it: 2215 Congress St. 2215 Congress and 2211 Congress are not owned by the same owners. Also, as noted in a post above in this topic, county records indicate the owner of Joystix is either expanding or relocating Joystix to 2201 Congress St.

There is an ongoing topic for 2215 Congress St where news of the museum planned for that location is discussed:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/49973-2215-congress-st/?do=findComment&comment=689125

On 10/1/2023 at 6:10 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

2215 Congress St may likely become a pinball museum. The owners of the EaDo property also own Wormhole Pinball, which is a private pinball club in the Heights.

Back in April, Houston Chronicle revealed plans for the pinball museum. It was buried in an article pertaining to the city's pinball scene. The address wasn't disclosed, but the specs described match 2215 Congress St.

The Hoods want to make Houston a pinball destination, and to that end, they’ve purchased a 14,000-square-foot building just east of downtown with plans to create a pinball museum. As with Wormhole, the location is undisclosed, Christine Hood said work is already underway on the structure. She estimates it’s a two-year project.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/article/pinball-is-back-in-play-in-texas-17904986.php

• The title was changed to 2201-2211 Congress St