Allen Park Inn At 2121 Allen Pkwy.

8 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I found a postcard for the Allen Park Inn motel located at 2121 Allen Parkway.

I believe it flooded during Hurricane Allison and was unable to recover. The AMLI 2121 Apartments replaced the old motel inn.

Anyone have any memories here?

I think it might have been torn down before Allison.  I worked a block away from 1999 to 2003, and have no memory of that place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wow!! There was more than one motel (or brand) at 2121 Allen Parkway? I thought it was the Allen Park Inn.

My question is: What motel came first? Allen Park Inn or Ramada Inn? Who was the architect?

The Ramada Inn
Houston, Texas 77019
The ultimate in comfort in all 200 rooms and the executive suites . . . enchanting scenery, floral gardens, heating swimming pool . . . dining room, 24-hour coffee shop . . . fully equipped and easily catered convention and meting rooms.
2121 Allen Parkway
Phone (713) 523-7383

KcozjJJ.jpg

9euAgLT.jpg

• Like 1

It was definitely there and open during 1999, which was my last visit...to the restaurant. The "Nashville Room" had perhaps the best 24-hour dining available inside the 610 Loop. I was (very briefly) part of a workout group during '97, and we met there for breakfast after a 5 am workout. Hard to remember exactly, but I believe my last meal there was their Prime Rib...very tasty!

They also hosted some smaller meetings and conferences. I remember attending training sponsored by one of the local air conditioning distributors which was held there, and they served lunch. Also a pleasant memory.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:58 PM, cowboybud said:

There was a barber shop in the lobby frequented by Dr, Neil Frank.

And at least visited once by then-local radio DJ Moby - who briefly sported a flat top like Dr. Neil afterward.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/bayou-city-history/article/Moby-Morganna-and-more-Houston-as-it-was-in-13568374.php

Oddly enough, I have that newscast on a tape somewhere. Will have to dig it up if but for the ending where the graphic artist tried to "Moby-fy" a publicity photo of Dr. Neil with the DJ's trademark locks and beard. 

The bar there was fun. We always referred to it as just "Cocktail Lounge", since there was a neon Cocktail Lounge sign over the street entrance. The crowd was a mix of guests and neighborhood people who were clued into the place. The jukebox seemed to have not been updated since 1967. It had a mix of vintage C&W and 1967-ish pop songs - think Hank Williams with Nancy Sinatra's "Sugar Town". 

• Like 3