Skateland Roller Rink At 6610 Capitol Ave.

Vertigo58

Roller rinks also appear to be following drive-in theatre, coffee shops, cafes, diners, etc. into being things of the past. The young would gather down at the rink to socialize, race, show off, etc.

Now here is one I don't think anyone mentioned above...

SKATELAND - Roller Rink on Capitol? which was over in East End off of Harrisburg and Wayside Drive.

I recall going there as a kid brother (much to the chagrin of my big sister and her boyfriend). I was basically the kid chaperon! Isn't that smart!

Later we would go with the other kids in the neighborhood. The thing that stood out to me was the

JUKE BOX music so this will set the date/time frame.

Melanie - I got a brand new pair of roller skates you got a brand new key...

Jay & the American's - Young Girl get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line better run girl...

Gallery - Oh its so nice to be with you...I love all the things you say and do...

Donny Osmond - Go away Little Girl

Archies - Sugar

Talk about Pop music! A much more innocent time people. :lol:

SKATELAND - Roller Rink on Capitol? which was over in East End off of Harrisburg and Wayside Drive.

I recall going there as a kid brother (much to the chagrin of my big sister and her boyfriend). I was basically the kid chaperon! Isn't that smart!

Later we would go with the other kids in the neighborhood. The thing that stood out to me was the

Jay & the American's - Young Girl get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line better run girl...

Gallery - Oh its so nice to be with you...I love all the things you say and do...

Archies - Sugar

That was late 1971/early 1972. One error: Gary Puckett & the Union Gap recorded "Young Girl." Jay & the Americans recorded "Come A Little Bit Closer."

I don't remember ever going to a roller rink with a jukebox. The would play the current pop song over the speakers while you'd skate.

That was late 1971/early 1972. One error: Gary Puckett & the Union Gap recorded "Young Girl." Jay & the Americans recorded "Come A Little Bit Closer."

I don't remember ever going to a roller rink with a jukebox. The would play the current pop song over the speakers while you'd skate.

I was hoping for someone to correct! Considering how long its been its a miracle I recall the names of the songs. Thanks and I know I had to be about 11-12 years old. I never realized how "bubble-gum" the music was at the time. Really camp.

One thing I really remember is how most of the girls looked like Marsha and Jan Brady's! Mini skirts and all! Wow!

I was hoping for someone to correct! Considering how long its been its a miracle I recall the names of the songs. Thanks and I know I had to be about 11-12 years old. I never realized how "bubble-gum" the music was at the time. Really camp.

One thing I really remember is how most of the girls looked like Marsha and Jan Brady's! Mini skirts and all! Wow!

From what I remember, most girls made it a point not to wear skirts while skating. My parent's met at a skating rink, but that was back in the 1950s when girls wore dresses most of the time. They were also longer back then.

Archies - Sugar

I asked about this rink back in Oct of 2005 but no one responded. I couldnt remember the name of it. Skateland.. ahhh yes thats the one where I spent all my Saturdays. My friend Linda was good enough to skate in the middle...until some kid blew by her and made her fall and break her arm. Thanks for the name. I'm happy again!!

I asked about this rink back in Oct of 2005 but no one responded. I couldnt remember the name of it. Skateland.. ahhh yes thats the one where I spent all my Saturdays. My friend Linda was good enough to skate in the middle...until some kid blew by her and made her fall and break her arm. Thanks for the name. I'm happy again!!

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is "skating in the middle"? Do you mean in the middle of the floor? Or in the middle between you and another person?

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is "skating in the middle"? Do you mean in the middle of the floor? Or in the middle between you and another person?

People who were very good at skating.. like the ones who could spin and do fancy things would usually skate in the middle of the rink floor while all of us "normal" skaters would just skate around and around in a circle. The middle of the floor was a "special" place.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

People who were very good at skating.. like the ones who could spin and do fancy things would usually skate in the middle of the rink floor while all of us "normal" skaters would just skate around and around in a circle. The middle of the floor was a "special" place.

Yes, I remember the not-so-good skaters "hugged the wall/rail." I didn't have to do that, but I didn't go around in a circle very well. I remember busting my butt many times on those hard wood floors.

During the races where one person would push another while squatting, there'd sometimes be a pileup. You had no control over which part of your body would hit that hard wood floor.

• 14 years later...
  • 1 year later...