Lawyer Walks Into Cheney's Line Of Fire!

nmainguy

why is this news?

Because the Vice President shot a man, put him to the hospital and had a private citizen reveal the news 18 hours later who, in addition, also said alcohol was not involved which we now know is not true.

For those and for so many other reasons, that is why this is news.

I'm a Texan just like most of you are, so, thinking like a Texan, a lot can be explained by one thing: beer. Cheney said he had a beer a lunch. Right. Who has ever had "a beer" at lunch on your day off out in the country at a ranch after spending the morning walking around. That is the same lame excuse heard 500 time a night by police officers as they make drivers walk an invisible line and count backward. Sorry, no such thing as "a beer". Once you make the assumption they were all drinking, everything else falls in line. If the VP has beer on his breath, he's not going to talk to a deputy, press, or anyone for that matter until the next day.

That said, it's all ridiculous. If he wasn't drinking it's an accident, and if he was drinking, you'll never be able to prove it, and, still, it's an accident. I have issues with the way the current administration handles things and think the dems would do a better job, but I don't think there's a person out there that thinks this was anything but an accident. Time for the press to drop it, it was funny for a day and made for a great episode of The Daily Show Monday night, but now it's getting old.

Because the Vice President shot a man, put him to the hospital and had a private citizen reveal the news 18 hours later who, in addition, also said alcohol was not involved which we now know is not true.

For those and for so many other reasons, that is why this is news.

I'm sorry, I didn't catch what the "so many other reasons" were...?

I guess you didn't listen to Vice President Cheney's explanation, or you didn't believe it. I'm not sure what's so sinister here, but damn, you liberals are sure looking for something evil in this story. It's funny to watch the media unravel over it. :P

Heights Guy: I have issues with the way the current administration handles things and think the dems would do a better job,

Bite your tongue! :lol:

FYI, I waited tables for several years for the lunchtime crowd...a beer at lunch is totally realistic and believable.

That said, it's all ridiculous. If he wasn't drinking it's an accident, and if he was drinking, you'll never be able to prove it, and, still, it's an accident. I have issues with the way the current administration handles things and think the dems would do a better job, but I don't think there's a person out there that thinks this was anything but an accident. Time for the press to drop it, it was funny for a day and made for a great episode of The Daily Show Monday night, but now it's getting old.

STFU. All I have to say is this, and I quote: " I did not have sexual relations with that woman". Yeah, the dem's were just all over that one. :rolleyes:

I agree the V.P. Cheney incident is B.S., but don't try and sell this Eskimo an ice-box.

I guess you didn't listen to Vice President Cheney's explanation, or you didn't believe it. I'm not sure what's so sinister here, but damn, you liberals are sure looking for something evil in this story. It's funny to watch the media unravel over it. :P

FYI, I waited tables for several years for the lunchtime crowd...a beer at lunch is totally realistic and believable.

You asked a question. It was answered.

The best part about all this is that the lawyer who was shot was more worried about the "image" this will give Texas Hunting. I love that guy.

One or two beers at lunch about 4 hours before nmain ? C'mon brother, you gotta do better than that. Quit trying to say the V.P. was drunk, you know that's B.S. Cheney isn't gonna risk another heartattack by getting shloshed. He shouldn't have even had that one beer IMO, that is a no-no for heart attack victims.

STFU. All I have to say is this, and I quote: " I did not have sexual relations with that woman". Yeah, the dem's were just all over that one. :rolleyes:

I agree the V.P. Cheney incident is B.S., but don't try and sell this Eskimo an ice-box.

Did you really just tell me to STFU????? Unreal. Who are you, and where are your manners?

A beer may very well be singular when you're at lunch during the workday when you have to go back to work. However, "a beer" is not "a beer" when it comes to hunting, fishing and golf. It's right there in the men's handbook, haven't you ever seen it?:)

why is this news?

You're kidding, right? Maybe in your world, your family and friends accidently pepper each other with birdshot so often as to become mundane, but for most of the rest of us, an accidental shooting at the hands of the first in line to the most powerful position in the world qualifies as news.

News is "newsworthy" if it is of interest to the people who consume it. You seem to be well versed in what happened in this incident, as well as the VP's interview. You've obviously "consumed" this news, but appear annoyed at those of us who consumed this news for the "wrong" reasons.

A better question might be why are you upset with us? We didn't pull the trigger, nor did we withhold the information.

upset? Me? :D No. Annoyed with people that are making this a bigger issue than it really is? Yep. It's ridiculous and you're really reaching. That's my opinion, and I am entitled to it, as you are entitled to yours--but remember that opinions should never attempt to muddle the facts. They are what they are, and you can try to turn it into whatever sinister issue you wish, but the bottom line is he sprayed his friend with shot and it was an accident, one that he claims to deeply regret.

For the record, I never shot a gun in my life, and do not come from a family of hunters. My husband has a Browning that he likes to fire at the range, but that's about it.

It will be interesting to see what Mr. Whittington has to say about all of this!

I think it's great that a local paper broke the story. I bet the bigwigs at CNN peed in their pants.

They are what they are, and you can try to turn it into whatever sinister issue you wish, but the bottom line is he sprayed his friend with shot and it was an accident, one that he claims to deeply regret.

It will be interesting to see what Mr. Whittington has to say about all of this!

You have confused me with someone else. I have no sinister issues in mind. I am, however, more interested in the apparent collapse of the White House publicity machine than the shooting. As recently as 2 years ago, they would have controlled the message, and never let this story get away from them like it has. I am curious as to why that happened.

BTW, if this is not news, why are you so interested in what Mr. Whittington has to say? ;)

You're kidding, right? Maybe in your world, your family and friends accidently pepper each other with birdshot so often as to become mundane, but for most of the rest of us, an accidental shooting at the hands of the first in line to the most powerful position in the world qualifies as news.

News is "newsworthy" if it is of interest to the people who consume it. You seem to be well versed in what happened in this incident, as well as the VP's interview. You've obviously "consumed" this news, but appear annoyed at those of us who consumed this news for the "wrong" reasons.

A better question might be why are you upset with us? We didn't pull the trigger, nor did we withhold the information.

NEWS ALERT FOR REDSCARE ! Apparently the accident happened at around 4:45 to 5:00pm and was first reported to the sheriff's office at 5:30pm, according to the sheriff's records. It was the sheriff's department who apparently waited until the next day to go investigate. As far as reporting to the press, Red, if you accidentally shot someone, are you gonna go to the press or are you going to alert the proper authorities ?

The best part about all this is that the lawyer who was shot was more worried about the "image" this will give Texas Hunting. I love that guy.

One or two beers at lunch about 4 hours before nmain ? C'mon brother, you gotta do better than that. Quit trying to say the V.P. was drunk, you know that's B.S. Cheney isn't gonna risk another heartattack by getting shloshed. He shouldn't have even had that one beer IMO, that is a no-no for heart attack victims.

TJ,

I never said he had one or two beers [and you know it, brother]. Cheney said he had a beer at lunch after Armsrong said there was no alcohol involved. No one knows what Cheney's blood alcohol level was. It ain't the crime that screws you-it's the cover up. I think you-unlike some others who would hide behind another's avatar and insert a signature any 5th grader would deem infantile in this thread are able to discern that.

B)

It was the sheriff's department who apparently waited until the next day to go investigate. As far as reporting to the press, Red, if you accidentally shot someone, are you gonna go to the press or are you going to alert the proper authorities ?

That blew me away, TJ. Here's the senario:

Say you're the sheriff deputy of a really low populated town. You got a dude accidentally shot in the face within your Precinct. Then you find out that the dude that pulled the trigger just so HAPPENS to be the Vice President of the United States. You still don't have any urgency to at least check out the situation until the NEXT DAY?! WTF???!!!! :lol: How violent is that area? How many people get accidentally shot in that area on a daily basis? What exactly was the sherrif doing that was so important that the Vice President (or ANYBODY) accidentally shooting another dude is not a big deal? "Honey, the Vice President shot a dude in the face. But LOST is on. I'ma check it out tomorrow..."

I didn't see Cheney do anything wrong in terms of reporting the incident to the proper authorities. But does that sheriff department story make any sense to anybody? What a jacked up department, huh?!

DJ, shooting someone accidently while hunting, IS NOT a major crime. The most you can get if it is indeed deemed an "accident" is 30 days, and a fine and you lose your hunting license for life. It is not even manslaughter, if the V.P. had killed him. There is a certain amount of risk involved in the sport of hunting, that's why I don't do it anymore.

DJ, furthermore, I think the only reason well, maybe two reasons the sheriff waited. One the local sheriff was told that the man shot, was in the hospital, and doing fine. Number 2, the man that told the local sheriff, was a Secret Service Agent, and told him everything was under control. Law enforcement was already involved, i.e. Secret Service.

Nmain, alcohol WAS NOT involved, according to Cheney, he had one beer, I think Mr.Whittington verified that. Cheney is also a heart attack survivor,( and if there is anyone that HAS had a heart attack that reads this, will you please tell us what one of the main things doctors tell you to give up ?) The accident occurs 4 maybe 5 hours later, I'm sure Cheney is no school marm, and has had a few beers in his time, I seriously doubt that one beer is still gonna be in his system that long after, especially having something to eat with the alcohol. I don't want to get technical about this, this is just my opinion, going off what I would call expertise of being in the bar business for some years, and I have taken the TABC course more than a couple of times. Also, having been a "drunk" myself for a few years, I feel confident in my assumption. ;):D

I have to admit, it is great press for the libs, if it had been Kerry out there, like the time he faked that photo op, by coming out of the marsh with some ducks in hand, when he hadn't shot a thing. Now, if it were him, you bet I'd be all over him.I'll admit that, but It would still be tragic for him and the victim though, you can only thank God that it was 28-gauge dove shot, a 12-gauge duck round, and we might be singing a different tune.

DJ, shooting someone accidently while hunting, IS NOT a major crime. The most you can get if it is indeed deemed an "accident" is 30 days, and a fine and you lose your hunting license for life. It is not even manslaughter, if the V.P. had killed him. There is a certain amount of risk involved in the sport of hunting, that's why I don't do it anymore.

DJ, furthermore, I think the only reason well, maybe two reasons the sheriff waited. One the local sheriff was told that the man shot, was in the hospital, and doing fine. Number 2, the man that told the local sheriff, was a Secret Service Agent, and told him everything was under control. Law enforcement was already involved, i.e. Secret Service.

Nmain, alcohol WAS NOT involved, according to Cheney, he had one beer, I think Mr.Whittington verified that. Cheney is also a heart attack survivor,( and if there is anyone that HAS had a heart attack that reads this, will you please tell us what one of the main things doctors tell you to give up ?) The accident occurs 4 maybe 5 hours later, I'm sure Cheney is no school marm, and has had a few beers in his time, I seriously doubt that one beer is still gonna be in his system that long after, especially having something to eat with the alcohol. I don't want to get technical about this, this is just my opinion, going off what I would call expertise of being in the bar business for some years, and I have taken the TABC course more than a couple of times. Also, having been a "drunk" myself for a few years, I feel confident in my assumption. ;):D

I have to admit, it is great press for the libs, if it had been Kerry out there, like the time he faked that photo op, by coming out of the marsh with some ducks in hand, when he hadn't shot a thing. Now, if it were him, you bet I'd be all over him.I'll admit that, but It would still be tragic for him and the victim though, you can only thank God that it was 28-gauge dove shot, a 12-gauge duck round, and we might be singing a different tune.

I wouldn't expect any charges against the Cheney Montana (say 'ello 2 my lil' friend), but he's gotta be the highest profile dude ever involved in an incident in that area. I would have been a little more curious, especially with Secret Service at my doorstep. Still sounds bizarre to me

Life doesn't happen in a vacuum. If the VP shoots someone, even accidentally, of course it is news. As VP, yes, I would have my press people prepare a statement for release to the press as soon as possible, which would have been that evening.

The Sheriff is required to investigate the shooting. You don't know if it is accidental until you investigate. Cheney's Secret Service detail arranged for Cheney to be interviewed the next day. Due to miscommunication, a deputy showed up at the ranch that evening and was not allowed in the gates, nor was he allowed to speak to or see Cheney. Certainly, by the next day, the only way to discern if alcohol was involved was to ask Cheney himself.

Now, TJ, you can wear blinders if you choose, but IF the VP was intoxicated, the way to cover up that fact is to use the power of his office to keep the police away until he sobers up the next morning. Having the press milling around makes this harder, too. Because Cheney is a twice convicted drunk driver, and because they disallowed police access, and because they kept it from the press, reasonable people will ask questions.

• 2 weeks later...

WASHINGTON, D.C. - A white house source stated that Congress is considering

awarding Vice-President Dick Cheney the Medal of Freedom, the nation's

highest civilian commendation, for his act of bravery in shooting an

attorney.

The source was quoted to say, " All Americans have wanted to shoot a

lawyer at one time or another and Cheney actually had the guts to do it."

In a related story the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which issues

hunting licenses, said that it will start requiring hunters wishing to bag a

lawyer to have the new "lawyer's stamp" on their hunting license.

Currently Texas hunters are required to carry stamps for hunting birds,

deer, and bear, at a cost of $7 annually. The new "lawyers stamp" will cost

$100, but open season will be all year long.

The department further stated that although the "lawyers stamp" comes at

hefty price, sales have been brisk and it is believed it will generate

annual revenues in excess of $3 billion dollars the first year.

Other states are considering similar hunting license stamps. :lol:

B)

I'm thinking we'll just make an exception for Red...OK? ;)

B)

OH, Ok.............Sure.............. lull him into a false since of security, I gotcha nmain. ;) I like your thinking, don't worry, mum's the word. -_-

Archived