Clayton Library Center For Genealogical Research At 5300 Caroline St.

Beware of the stuff that's for sale. Much of it is crap.

Check the State of Texas website for vital statistics. I never did much genealogical research in TX so I'm not sure just what's available and what's accessible.

Are you aware of the Clayton Library, Center for Generalogical Research, 5300 Caroline. One of the 1/2 dozen or so best genealogical libraries in the country. Check the HPL catalog and restrict the search to 'Clayton.' Talk to the librarians there. If there's a book that's been published about Houston/Harris Co. vital statistics, they should have it. They probably won't have much on California.

Many Mormon Stakes have branch libraries through which you can order anything on film from the big library in Salt Lake City - don't have to be church member (or at least didn't used to have to). There's a small fee. They'll have a catalog of what's available and microform readers to use. You may also be able to get a list of researchers who will do your work for you for a fee.

I haven't done genealogy for years but there used to be forums on line devoted to just about any surname where people exchanged information on the families they're interested in. Have you just tried googling on 'Torvald?' I think one of them was called GenForum or something like that. If there isn't one on your surname, start one.

There's a published index to the Houston Post from 1984 until it folded at HPL Central - should still be able to use it at the Julia Ideson bldg while Central is closed; a place to look if you think any of your people of interest were still alive that late.

the clayton library would be worth looking in to, as well as possible online subscription database collections of academic libraries that may allow in-house use on their computers...

Archived