Beloved Cactus Music To Close Its Doors

From the Grapevine: Cactus to Reopen!

posted by adrian gonzales (metroblogging)

Well, I hope the rumor is true. Potential downside is that since presumably most of the inventory was sold off, a Cactus reincarnation wouldn't have the same selection of videos. They had one of the best dvd/vhs rental selections I've seen.

One thing I loved about the CD selection there was that they had a special section devoted to surf music. Made shopping easier! :D

Back in the late 70's/early 80's, during the Golden Age of Recorded Music, Cactus occupied both its own space and the space where Whole Earth Provision Company was, and they made a big effort to stock the complete catalogue of most major classical music labels, as well as several smaller ones like Nonesuch and CRI, and pretty much all of the usual rock, country, and jazz.

That Sound Warehouse that used to be at Shepherd Plaza also had an entire room dedicated to classical music. It was walled off from the rest of the genres, so that the wrong sort of people wouldn't wander in. ^_^

That Sound Warehouse that used to be at Shepherd Plaza also had an entire room dedicated to classical music. It was walled off from the rest of the genres, so that the wrong sort of people wouldn't wander in. ^_^

Yes, it did, and the one at Westheimer and Hillcroft/Voss had a much bigger classical section. My housemate in the mid-80s worked there for a while. As much as the walls may have contributed to the perception of longhair elitism, the real reason was so that they could play classical music in there with a little less interference from the rock and pop music blasting in the rest of the store. After Cactus changed its format and inventory, Sound Warehouse (or Sound Whorehouse as pretty much everyone I knew called it) was still an adequate place to buy classical music.

I'm pretty sure that Joel of Joel's Classical Shop got his start in the classical section of Sound Warehouse.

Marty

Is that a place near Bissonnet and Weslayan? I heard there was a good store there but I haven't been yet.

Yes. It's in that strip center... They don't have much stuff in there since it's a small store, but if you can wait, they'll find anything about classical music you are looking for like rarest recordings on vinyls.

Cactus Music wasn't my favorite either. They had ok selection on all categories. But they seemed to promote local artists which I thought pretty cool.

Edited by Spencer Street