Bike Paths And Sidewalk Improvements In Montrose

Montrose bike plan is getting ready to roll

Alterations are expected to net improved safety

By TOM MANNING

Chronicle Correspondent

The study phase of a plan aimed at improving bicycle and pedestrian safety in Montrose is complete.

Now comes the hard part: getting the recommended changes implemented and paying for them.

After months of community input, the Houston-Galveston Area Council and its consulting partner for the Montrose Pedestrian and Bicyclist Plan, Lockwood, Andrews and Newnam, have narrowed the list of recommended improvements in Montrose down to 11.

List of improvements

Among the improvements proposed in the final report are:

Link to article

To those who are worried about it, the bike paths are pretty cheap.

While Houston can't compare to a city like Portland for bike-friendliness, I think biking inside the loop is a relatively easy process, once you figure out the parts to avoid. For such a car-centric city, I'm proud of how far Houston has come in recent years with bike paths, lanes, etc.

That said, I wonder why bike racks aren't added to all Metro buses servicing the inner/near loop areas? <_<

That said, I wonder why bike racks aren't added to all Metro buses servicing the inner/near loop areas? <_<

Well, that's a damn good question, Orikal, considering that we voted for them along with the rail back in 2001. As cheap as they are to install ($8 million for the entire fleet), and considering how much more accessible they would make the transit system, it is a crime that METRO has dragged their feet for so long on this.

Word is, all buses will have them by 2008. We shall see.

"•Enhanced lighting and the addition of sidewalks along Alabama and Richmond under Spur 527"

How come this isn't being done by TXDOT? They're the ones who tore out the exisiting sidewalks.

And by the way, nice call in putting the overpass abutments so close to the street that sidewalks will remain permanantly narrow under Spur 527. And for putting the traffic light base for W. Alabama at Milam in the middle of the (future) sidewalk. :angry:

• The title was changed to Bike Paths And Sidewalk Improvements In Montrose

Archived