Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

From a person living in Woodland Heights.

Lloyd and I took the dog on a walk as we often do after dinner, around 9 Wednesday. When we were 2 blocks north of the house there were two guys hanging out and on their phones. At first I thought "oh no I shouldn't have turned". They just didn't fit, no car, too nice to be the lawn guys, but out of place. They politely asked for a lighter and we said we were sorry we didn't smoke and never broke stride. We went one block up and back over and heading back to the corner where they had been. We heard a woman screaming and a car horn honking. Honestly it was so shrill at first it was like she was squealing and laughing. Then it continued... Lloyd and I wondered if it was a domestic dispute and the woman was screaming. Then you think, do I get involved? Is it safe? Mind you, this must have only been 30 seconds. We finally realized something was very wrong and Lloyd took off running with St Nick and I trying to keep up. The two guys took off across the street in front of us before we got there. They beat up a guy and stabbed him in his heart to steal his car. They didn't get it b/c the girl with him had started honking the car horn when the assault started. The ambulance came and took him away and they aren't sure he'll make it We gave our reports and while we were still there the guys stabbed another person on the Heights blvd and stole the persons tahoe. Lloyd and I are feeling very fortunate right now. They spoke to us to get a feel. I'm not sure what made them decide to leave us alone, St Nick, Lloyd and I together or that we weren't near a car. Either way, I feel like our safety was very nearly gone. So, moral of the story, be mindful of those around you. And be observant

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a person living in Woodland Heights.

Lloyd and I took the dog on a walk as we often do after dinner, around 9 Wednesday. When we were 2 blocks north of the house there were two guys hanging out and on their phones. At first I thought "oh no I shouldn't have turned". They just didn't fit, no car, too nice to be the lawn guys, but out of place.

Can someone provide us with a description of these hijackers? This sounds like something that would be printed in the Chronicle -- suspect description sanitized for political correctness.

Edited by heights

Having spoken to and speculating with several neighbors of this event, we are wondering if it wasn't an intended hit on this guy. Again, fully speculation, but it is odd that there is absolutely NO press coverage of this. It is odd that they went after a guy in a car in what appears to be a rundown apartment building when there are several upscale houses all around there with nice cars on the street.

those apartments look pretty rundown, but the cars in the parking lot are mostly decent and there are normally a few nice ones. I've never seen inside the apartments, but i'd suspect they are nicer on the inside than the outside. I walk by there almost daily.

Having spoken to and speculating with several neighbors of this event, we are wondering if it wasn't an intended hit on this guy. Again, fully speculation, but it is odd that there is absolutely NO press coverage of this. It is odd that they went after a guy in a car in what appears to be a rundown apartment building when there are several upscale houses all around there with nice cars on the street.

Perhaps someone there has relatives who were recently smuggled into the US illegally.

Edited by LTAWACS

None. In fact, you can laugh along with the cops at how funny the perp looks hogtied like a calf at the rodeo.

So no risk of a false imprisonment charge, even if I chase them off of my property, catch them, then bring them back to tie them up and throw feces at them?

Forwarded from a neighbor in 1800 block of Nauts

Last night about 9:45 PM I was home alone, when I heard the doorbell

ring. I got dressed and made my way to the front door. I asked him what

he wanted and he told me "Wrong house, sorry". I noticed that he walked

back to a truck (parked 2 houses down from me incidently), got in the

passenger side, and the truck drove off.

A few minutes later I decided they were casing the neighborhood, so I

got in my truck to go find them. It didn't take long. I found the truck

on Brooktree and followed them all over the neighborhood. They were

clearly acting in a suspicious manner, driving up and down every street

methodically. The truck stopped, so I stopped - this happened several

time. Once they figured out that I was following, the truck made its

way to TC Jester so I turned around to come home.

Sometime before I started to follow the truck, the driver must have let

his passenger out in another part of the neighborhood - probably to

case another section - because I found him walking down Lazybrook.

I pulled up to him and told him that I had already called the cops and

he took off running.

Here's the info I have:

Truck is a two-tone, small size Chevy pickup truck with a camper on the

back - handicapped Texas license plate 2YZDP The man who knocked on my

door was a black male approximate 5'8, stocky, somewhat muscular with

short hair. Early 20's.

Edited by samiamj

Here's how my evening went last night...

[

8:30 PM

I was in my back yard, when I saw my neighbor's (across the alley in back of my house) ladder moving away from his garage. Since I have a 6 foot privacy fence, at first I thought it was falling but then realized someone had it. I picked up my little six pound foster Chihuahua and ran to the back fence where I can see over. I still could not see who was carrying the ladder, but felt certain that my neighbor would not be carrying it up the alley, so I said very deeply, "Drop It," and he did. At the same time, the girls that live across the street from the alley entrance had seen the SUV park caddywampus to the alley, a Hispanic, 6 foot guy wearing black tshirt and black shorts and black&white atlhletic shoes got out and went up the alley. A blond white girl in the car moved to the drivers seat. The girls went to their neighbor across the street from them who also backs up to the alley and told him someone was going up the alley, so about the same time I said, "drop it" the male neighbor was walking toward the guy. The girls got the license plate number. It was a black Suburban or Yukon, license plate number 89G YZ9 . It was a very tall ladder. One theory is that he was going to use it to break into the back of a new garage apartment that backs up to the alley. Keep an eye out.

12:00 MIDNIGHT

So Officer Nutt and Officer Alvarado just left. Officer Alvarado pretty much told me that there was nothing they could do since it wasn't my ladder, the guy didn't take the ladder, etc.

So let me get this straight. There were four witnesses to this man going into the alley, into somebody's yard and stealing from them, and because we stopped him, there is nothing they can do? Ok, let me get this straight, there were four witnesses, two that wrote down the description and license plate of the vehicle, one that came face to face with the thief and got a description to include height, clothing and even the color of the man's tennis shoes, and even spoke to him, and there is NOTHING they can do?

And further, we called this in at 8:30pm and the police came at 11:45pm? You know at that point, let me sleep if there is NOTHING you can do.

Let me say, that the police in my area have done a bang up good job in the past. But something is slipping. A few Saturdays back I called 911 about a gang faceoff in the middle of E. 25th street with several young men and trucks were about to fight (with their trucks). I told the dispatcher that they needed to get over here fast because something really bad was about to happen. It was well over 30 minutes before they arrived.

No wonder crime is increasing. Well, at least we stopped the thief tonight. Me and my 6 pound Chihuahua seem to be, in this case, more effective than Officer Alvarado.

An HPD investigator called me today and is actually investigating this. YEA! And seems to be being pretty thorough about it. He thinks they are probably linked to other criminal activity. My thought exactly!

An HPD investigator called me today and is actually investigating this. YEA! And seems to be being pretty thorough about it. He thinks they are probably linked to other criminal activity. My thought exactly!

Good! I'm sure they aren't just a "one-hit wonder." People who are that brazen with their illegal activity ususally aren't new to it.

Good! I'm sure they aren't just a "one-hit wonder." People who are that brazen with their illegal activity ususally aren't new to it.

Just heard back from the investigator. This is evidently a really bad guy and he could go away for a long time for this petty theft. He wouldn't go into details with me but suggested it would be in the community's best interest for my neighbor to press charges.

Just heard back from the investigator. This is evidently a really bad guy and he could go away for a long time for this petty theft. He wouldn't go into details with me but suggested it would be in the community's best interest for my neighbor to press charges.

My guess would be a longtime drug user and thief. A petty theft with 2 prior convictions for theft bumps the charge up to a felony. Prior felony convictions can bumpt the felony into higher classes of felony...all the way up to 25-99 years in some cases. It is not uncommon at all to see a longtime drug addict with numerous felony drug possession convictions, as well as numerous theft, forgery or burglary convictions. Given that the only way to get this small theft up to felony level is with other thefts, it would not surprise me if that is the case. That, and the fact that an overwhelming percentage of these thefts and burglaries are committed by drug addicts in search of $20 (or less) for a crack rock.

My guess would be a longtime drug user and thief. A petty theft with 2 prior convictions for theft bumps the charge up to a felony. Prior felony convictions can bumpt the felony into higher classes of felony...all the way up to 25-99 years in some cases. It is not uncommon at all to see a longtime drug addict with numerous felony drug possession convictions, as well as numerous theft, forgery or burglary convictions. Given that the only way to get this small theft up to felony level is with other thefts, it would not surprise me if that is the case. That, and the fact that an overwhelming percentage of these thefts and burglaries are committed by drug addicts in search of $20 (or less) for a crack rock.

In the neighborhood next to mine, somebody used a found ladder to gain access to the house. So it was probably not about the ladder at all, was going to use it for other reasons. We have lots of gang members in the area as well.

In the neighborhood next to mine, somebody used a found ladder to gain access to the house. So it was probably not about the ladder at all, was going to use it for other reasons. We have lots of gang members in the area as well.

Perhaps, but with the number of one story homes in your neighborhood, coupled with the pawnability of ladders, that would not be my first guess. You'd be amazed at the number of ladders stolen and pawned. Especially aluminum ones for scrap value. And nighttime thieves tend to go for the easy stuff...items in the yard, unlocked cars, and the occasional unlocked or open garage. Burglars are overwhelmingly daytime operators, due to the fact that a large number of homes are unoccupied. These people are not looking for confrontation, just a few bucks for their crack.

Even armed robbers are opportunists. They see someone walking near a major thoroughfare (escape route), no one around, and jump them. The whole thing is over in less than a minute. Home invasions tend to be people who are known by the robbers. The robbers believe that there is a large amount of money, jewels or drugs in the house, making it worth the added danger of getting caught or shot. An unknown residence is easier to hit when it is unoccupied.

Perhaps, but with the number of one story homes in your neighborhood, coupled with the pawnability of ladders, that would not be my first guess. You'd be amazed at the number of ladders stolen and pawned. Especially aluminum ones for scrap value. And nighttime thieves tend to go for the easy stuff...items in the yard, unlocked cars, and the occasional unlocked or open garage. Burglars are overwhelmingly daytime operators, due to the fact that a large number of homes are unoccupied. These people are not looking for confrontation, just a few bucks for their crack.

Even armed robbers are opportunists. They see someone walking near a major thoroughfare (escape route), no one around, and jump them. The whole thing is over in less than a minute. Home invasions tend to be people who are known by the robbers. The robbers believe that there is a large amount of money, jewels or drugs in the house, making it worth the added danger of getting caught or shot. An unknown residence is easier to hit when it is unoccupied.

The odd thing is he was in a sparklingly clean, not very old black Suburban which is how we identified him with his license plate. Dressed well and clean, though in black tshirt and shorts with black and white athletic shoes.

Wow! Well good. I really hope something happens.

HPD has been patroling quite a bit more lately in my area.

Is this the entire report? "The man in the blue shirt" and his "buddy"? How about a better description of the men and their car so that there is an actual chance of catching these guys? In the meantime I guess I'll keep a lookout for a man in a blue shirt and his buddy riding in a car.

Is this the entire report? "The man in the blue shirt" and his "buddy"? How about a better description of the men and their car so that there is an actual chance of catching these guys? In the meantime I guess I'll keep a lookout for a man in a blue shirt and his buddy riding in a car.

Yeah, Channel 11 was spot on with that reporting, huh? The news in Houston makes me go --> :unsure: and then :angry:

Link to the story with video of perp

Edited by heights_yankee

That is really scary. Does anybody remember seeing any reports about the previous kidnapping. If so, does anybody know exactly when and where it occurred? We really do need more information when these things occur. I wonder if there is anyway to get these reports close to real time so that neighbors can be on the watch. HPD says, and I believe correctly, that they need us to partner with them for them to succeed in catching these guys. I think that would work better if we had a better direct communication system other than the media. The media is reporting for an entire region, be it city, or national. They can't be expected to give us in this immediate area all the details in a timely manner.

I have been advised by one of our patrol units that he responded to a call yesterday, where a male was selling alarm systems in our area. The story which the male gave this officer sounded "fishy" and he verified some information which could be helpful to others.

When approached by the officer, the male stated that he was selling home alarm systems for APX Alarm Security Solutions and was licensed and permitted by the City of Houston to sell the alarms. The City of Houston DOES NOT license, permit or endorse anyone or any company to sell alarm systems or any other item! He apparently misrepresents himself as being endorsed by the city with the hopes that this information could influence someone's opinion to purchase an alarm system at an expensive cost.

This officer spoke to one of our divisions which in turn spoke to someone at the Texas Department of Public Safety which investigates and regulates alarm companies. The person at DPS stated that alarm companies in Texas must have a permit to sell systems from the State of Texas, not the City of Houston, and they must be able to provide a copy of the permit to you.

Remember, the City of Houston does not endorse, permit or license any company to sell any product door to door! All City of Houston employees who may come to your door will have a uniform and/or an id card with the City of Houston Seal, their photo and name and title. Also, for consumer safety reasons, use a reputable company which you know and also contact the Better Business Bureau before allowing a contractor to work on your house.

Please pass this along to other residents in your neighborhood and advise them "buyer beware!"

Thank you for your help with this matter.

Houston Police Heights Storefront

1127 N. Shepherd

Houston, Texas 77008

Phone (713) 803-1151

Fax (713) 803-1155

APX is purportedly a Honeywell dealer. They have been in the 'hood before.

Their guy, who acts like a stoner, showed up at the house on Tuesday. He acts like he's with your security company. "Oh, yeah, we'll upgrade the sign in your yard, and replace it with one that has a light". I said "You're not with Brinks, are you"? He said "I'm glad you asked that", then explained that, indeed, he was not in SO many words. Then he asks me if I know how to test the door sensors. And I asked, "You mean, like when the alarm starts squeaking when I open the door"...? He didn't have an answer to that. I told him that it was pretty sleazy to imply that he was with my alarm company. I told him I was in the middle of a contract project (which I was),and I didn't have time for this. He replied, "Wow, that's something". I said, shaking my head at the idiocy of this conversation, "Okaaaayyy..Uh, Goodbye". I went inside. He headed for my neighbor's house across the street.

I have been advised by one of our patrol units that he responded to a call yesterday, where a male was selling alarm systems in our area. The story which the male gave this officer sounded "fishy" and he verified some information which could be helpful to others.

When approached by the officer, the male stated that he was selling home alarm systems for APX Alarm Security Solutions and was licensed and permitted by the City of Houston to sell the alarms. The City of Houston DOES NOT license, permit or endorse anyone or any company to sell alarm systems or any other item! He apparently misrepresents himself as being endorsed by the city with the hopes that this information could influence someone's opinion to purchase an alarm system at an expensive cost.

This officer spoke to one of our divisions which in turn spoke to someone at the Texas Department of Public Safety which investigates and regulates alarm companies. The person at DPS stated that alarm companies in Texas must have a permit to sell systems from the State of Texas, not the City of Houston, and they must be able to provide a copy of the permit to you.

Remember, the City of Houston does not endorse, permit or license any company to sell any product door to door! All City of Houston employees who may come to your door will have a uniform and/or an id card with the City of Houston Seal, their photo and name and title. Also, for consumer safety reasons, use a reputable company which you know and also contact the Better Business Bureau before allowing a contractor to work on your house.

Please pass this along to other residents in your neighborhood and advise them "buyer beware!"

Thank you for your help with this matter.

Houston Police Heights Storefront

1127 N. Shepherd

Houston, Texas 77008

Phone (713) 803-1151

Fax (713) 803-1155

They are stating they are working with the police department and have their co-operation. And the first words out of their lips......"We are NOT selling anything", the guy insisted to speak with the home owner even after I told him we were not interested in buying !!!

Once he got in the door he started with they need to verify who the home owner was and that (specific ) neighbor gave us your name, and just had the system installed( the installer is in the neighborhood and can set up in about an hour after you sign up). ...well let's say ....he was very good at his sales pitch.icon5.gif

At the old house there were roving bands of guys coming by and asking everyone if they had an alarm system. What dufus would tell them "no" if they didn't have one??? Then they would know exactly who to come back and rob. They came by and asked me and I told them yes, plus I have a vicious dog as did everyone in the Heights so he was wasting his time. Never saw them again.