Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

I agree with most of you. This probably was just an isolated incident, however, I felt it necessary to pass it along. I have lived all over Houston including River Oaks and the Galleria as well as the burbs. Out of all of my past residences, by far my favorite is the Heights. There is no way I will let this incident push me to move elsewhere, but it has definitely caused me to put my guard up. Should anything like this occur again, my plan of action will be to grab my cell phone and my camera and take a snap (mug) shot while I am calling the police.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting from another bulletin board:

At 2am May 19, cops closed in on car burglar suspects on Norhill between Temple and Cottage. Three suspects were taken into custody with lots of merchandise and a sawed off shotgun found in the back seat. The suspects seemed to be mid twenties, medium build, 5-6' tall, hispanic with short hair cuts (not buzz- but trimmed)

They drove a red Chevy Truck with a double cab and apparently were working the neighborhood last night when police captured them. Hopefully, word will get around that HPD did a great job safely apprehending the men. Good job HPD!! Thank you!

It's always a good idea to pull a report on the sex offenders in your area (and yes, they're EVERYWHERE).

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DPS_WEB/S...rchType=Zipcode

There's one site, I think there are a few. These sites will give you exact addresses, names, photos and the particular offense. You might find that your Tracy Morgan lookalike lives three blocks down, ew.

It's always a good idea to pull a report on the sex offenders in your area (and yes, they're EVERYWHERE).

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DPS_WEB/S...rchType=Zipcode

There's one site, I think there are a few. These sites will give you exact addresses, names, photos and the particular offense. You might find that your Tracy Morgan lookalike lives three blocks down, ew.

This is a cool website. It would be nice (or maybe it has it and I am just not looking hard enough) a way to view statistics by neighborhood/subdivision. I guess closest we can get is street or zip? Still quite nifty.

This is a cool website. It would be nice (or maybe it has it and I am just not looking hard enough) a way to view statistics by neighborhood/subdivision. I guess closest we can get is street or zip? Still quite nifty.

Cool? Nifty? It's good to be able to access the information, but honestly, all such websites make me feel like I need a shower after viewing.

I have a friend that moved into the Heights area that had his door kicked in the other night. His kids were in bed, his wife yelled at him to get a gun, he was already loading it. they must have heard this and took off. He says they heard them on the portch giving a countdown to kick in the door, like an are you ready? He has been there less than a month, this is very scary for him and his family. I just wanted to warn everyone to be aware of your surroundings.

I hope they do get shot. If you're going to be a degenerate criminal, at least be a smart one. Don't break in to a damn house when someone is there, you up the chances of both you getting shot and getting way more jail time when you react poorly to the situation. I have prepared myself mentally for if this were to happen at my place, and it doesn't end nicely for the intrudor. My rifle holds 15 bullets, and my backup axe is built to endure.

The neighbors on my street are armed and dangerous.

In the seven years I have lived in my house, we have had mostly perimeter thefts - garage break-ins, garden furnishing theft, car burglaries, etc. We rarely had home break ins and never home invasions. In the last several months, those crimes that the suburbs have been enjoying for awhile, seem to be coming into our neighborhood. We are ready for them. We would rather not ever ever have to shoot anybody, but shoot we will if threatened in our homes.

Wow, who'd have guessed that the militant wing of HAIFers was concentrated in the Heights? And I figured that the Joe Horns of the world all lived in Pasadena.

Personally, I'd recommend keeping a 12GA shotgun with #1 birdshot instead of a rifle. The impact cratering characteristics at close range are similar--if not superior--to buckshot, however the penetrative effects decline dramatically over distance, reducing the possibility of accidentally wounding people through walls (or the severity of the wounds, if you're still just that unlucky). And as for the axe, keep at least one tactical tomahawk on your night stand as a backup to firearms. They're not only good for delivering deep wounds and smashing through bone, but they could prove useful for breaching a locked interior door during a fire. Any additional tactical tomahawks can be thrown accurately without too much practice.

Wow, who'd have guessed that the militant wing of HAIFers was concentrated in the Heights? And I figured that the Joe Horns of the world all lived in Pasadena.

Personally, I'd recommend keeping a 12GA shotgun with #1 birdshot instead of a rifle. The impact cratering characteristics at close range are similar--if not superior--to buckshot, however the penetrative effects decline dramatically over distance, reducing the possibility of accidentally wounding people through walls (or the severity of the wounds, if you're still just that unlucky). And as for the axe, keep at least one tactical tomahawk on your night stand as a backup to firearms. They're not only good for delivering deep wounds and smashing through bone, but they could prove useful for breaching a locked interior door during a fire. Any additional tactical tomahawks can be thrown accurately without too much practice.

I have a 12 gauge in a gunrack on my wall, cocked and loaded. I am just afraid my dogs will be at their feet and I don't want to shoot my dogs.

Oh, and I actually addressed the Joe Horn thing in my original post. I have to be threatened "in my home or feel my (or my dogs') life is in imminent danger" to pull the trigger

Glad that they took off before possibly hurting someone.

I've lived in Midtown for just over seven years, and I've had two minor thefts (a potted plant and a bicycle pump when I left my garage door open). I never really understood why the thief stole my old bicycle pump and not the mountain bike it was sitting next to, but maybe the thief was heading off to steal a different bike. Or perhaps he just walks around the city and kindly refills the air in random bikes he sees.

I'm not looking to acquire more firearms, but if I do it might be a shotgun. The .22 rifle is nifty though, not as heavy as a bigger hunting rifle, and with smaller bullets I could better disable a perpetrator rather than put a hole in them. The last thing I want is for there to be a situation where that is necessary, I am just saying that I've thought about it enough to know the 4-5 steps I will immediately take in case it ever does. Better not.

Cool? Nifty? It's good to be able to access the information, but honestly, all such websites make me feel like I need a shower after viewing.

I actually lost my appetite for a while after viewing it earlier. Meeeep...

I'm not looking to acquire more firearms, but if I do it might be a shotgun. The .22 rifle is nifty though, not as heavy as a bigger hunting rifle, and with smaller bullets I could better disable a perpetrator rather than put a hole in them. The last thing I want is for there to be a situation where that is necessary, I am just saying that I've thought about it enough to know the 4-5 steps I will immediately take in case it ever does. Better not.

I got a Remington 870 shotgun last year to supplement my .22 semi-auto. The .22 jams too frequently, I'd say about 2% of the time with a factory 10-round magazine and 5% of the time with my 50-round aftermarket magazine. I'd vastly prefer the rifle in an outdoors defensive situation, however the shotgun cycles reliably on every single round, and that's important in close quarters, especially in the dark. Also, the sound by itself of a shotgun chambering a round would probably be enough of a deterrent to avoid violent conflict. And even though the .22 bullets are small, they have enough kinetic energy to penetrate multiple walls very easily and still be potentially deadly.

But if there's any one advantage to the shotgun, it is that getting hit at close range is going to cause some very serious injury. If you have to shoot at them, you'd definitely prefer that they die. At that point, it is basically the discretion of the DA as to whether to make your life miserable, whereas if they can still articulate themselves in any way, they have the capacity to mess up your life with all kinds of legal charges, however unfounded they may be.

I have a 12 gauge in a gunrack on my wall, cocked and loaded. I am just afraid my dogs will be at their feet and I don't want to shoot my dogs.

Aim for the chest and your dogs will be fine...unless the intruder is kneeling down to pet your dogs...that's also assuming you're firing from across the living room, not firing from 4 houses down (a la Joe Horn).

Aim for the chest and your dogs will be fine...unless the intruder is kneeling down to pet your dogs...that's also assuming you're firing from across the living room, not firing from 4 houses down (a la Joe Horn).

Why does your dog have a bandage on its head?

Let's just say I'm hoping you learn from my mistakes (on using a shotgun from several hundred feet away on intruders who are petting a dog.) ;)

Actually, it was a result of a dog fight. Only lost part of an ear. It makes him look almost as crazy as he actually is.

Poor dog, you aren't a Michael Vick fan are you?