Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

Sounds like a couple of enterprising people to me. How can you be certain they did not think you set it out for trash. People do it all the time. A person could make some decent money going around and picking up things people set to the curb and reselling them at a yard sale I'm sure. It sounds like the goal was at the street. Times are tough my friend and people could very well be resorting to recycling people's percieved trash.

It's the old "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Times are tough my friend? Get real ...Nobody should be stealing a basketball goal from a street, yard, anywhere..This is a crime and those two should be in jail. Quit sticking up for criminals.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Times are tough my friend? Get real ...Nobody should be stealing a basketball goal from a street, yard, anywhere..This is a crime and those two should be in jail. Quit sticking up for criminals.

How can you accuse them of stealing it? Did they not say they thought it was heavy trash? Did they not leave it and move on, when told it wasn't? Was this not in broad daylight? I would think based on what I read they thought it was at the curb for trash. Who knows what state the goal is in.

Frankly I am amazed the OP poster was able to file a police report!

The reason I responded to this post is because it struck me interesting. Yesterday I noticed after coming into town from being out this weekend that a neighbor down my street had put some furniture out to the street. I drove by by that way on the way to the mailbox just to check it out.

They had a leather recliner a leather ottoman in good shape layed out. and a large (what appears to be teak patio table with three benches.) I got my mail and then went back and loaded all three teak benches in my truck and took them home. I left the table as it was a little damaged and I already have a table of similair design and material, but I took the benches and they are great.

The fact that these men had a truck full of rubbish further supports the idea that they were picking up people's unwanted items. Or so they thought.

Edited by westguy76

This is my fault. For 5 years, as I have remodeled my home, I have put salvageable items out at the edge of the street in hopes that recyclers will pick them up and reuse them. I have placed a stove, a toilet, windows, doors, tables, even a kitchen sink out by the street. Faithfully, the recyclers have come by and loaded up the stuff for reuse or resale. Because thoughtless people like me have encouraged the recyclers that useful things left at the edge of the street may be taken for reuse, I may have inadvertantly given them the impression that all items left at the edge of the street may be taken for reuse.

My apologies for giving this impression.

I'm pretty confident that they didn't think it was heavy trash and, judging by the numerous items in the back of their pickup, have been canvassing the area for free, easily accessable merchandise. BTW, today is not heavy trash day for us.

It is heavy trash day for parts of the Heights. They may not have checked the Houston Solid Waste Map to determine the boundaries.

Moreover, since it weathered outside for several years, it may have appeared a candidate for innocent scavenging.

This is my fault. For 5 years, as I have remodeled my home, I have put salvageable items out at the edge of the street in hopes that recyclers will pick them up and reuse them. I have placed a stove, a toilet, windows, doors, tables, even a kitchen sink out by the street. Faithfully, the recyclers have come by and loaded up the stuff for reuse or resale. Because thoughtless people like me have encouraged the recyclers that useful things left at the edge of the street may be taken for reuse, I may have inadvertantly given them the impression that all items left at the edge of the street may be taken for reuse.

My apologies for giving this impression.

See Everyone. I told you, it's ALWAYS Red's fault !!! :lol::angry2:

I'm inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll have to rely on the OPs judgement as to whether or not the gentlemen appeared legit.

I will say that I've had people come to my door and ask me if something near the curb was trash. It seems like the polite thing to do instead of assuming that it is trash. That is, unless it is in a huge pile.

The assumption about something being in the easement is valid - I've seen a lot of houses that have so little room between the property line and the street - it's easy for folks to treat that small patch of grass as their property. Let's face it - a lot of houses are really crammed in!

At 8am this morning (2/9/09), two Hispanic men in there late 30s or early 40s were stealing our basketball goal in front of our house. They were driving an F350 extended cab, license plate 72CZL7. They claimed they thought the goal post was heavy trash. Be on the lookout for them as they had a truck full of "heavy trash".

Those people live on Allston and bought the truck they were driving 2 years ago with 288,000 miles on it. It seems as though they are exactly the type of people who would grab things that people are "finished with" (on heavy trash day) and use it until it is no longer useable.(much like the truck) If these were 2 white kids in a new Toyota Tundra instead of an old junky truck with older hispanics in it, would you have made a different assumption?

Those people live on Allston and bought the truck they were driving 2 years ago with 288,000 miles on it. It seems as though they are exactly the type of people who would grab things that people are "finished with" (on heavy trash day) and use it until it is no longer useable.(much like the truck) If these were 2 white kids in a new Toyota Tundra instead of an old junky truck with older hispanics in it, would you have made a different assumption?

Nobody has said anything about their race other than describing them. It's what these people are doing is the question. Quit pulling the race card..its freaking pathetic.

Nobody has said anything about their race other than describing them. It's what these people are doing is the question. Quit pulling the race card..its freaking pathetic.

What's pathetic is assuming that a weathered basketball hoop/goal/whatever, out by the street, on a Monday (trash day in the Heights, and heavy trash day for some) was an attempted theft. That's pathetically white. <_<

Edited by Porchman

Common sense would dictate a knock on the door. I can't see how anyone could disagree with that.

common sense also dictates that it be placed on the homeowner's property not on a city easement, where heavy trash is placed for pickup. i'll bet their neighbors are disappointed. <_<

Why are people so eager to defend the actions of some people?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I "defended" these people because of this...

And I will fully confess that maybe these guys weren't truly stealing the b-ball goal, and "thought" it was trash...

I have had them knock, and I have had them simply stop and pick the stuff up from the easement. The easement includes the street, the ditch, the sidewalk, and stops a foot or two past the sidewalk. Common sense to me dictates that I do not leave those belongings that I wish to keep on the City easement. By using my common sense, I do not have to chase away scavengers who might mistake my things for trash. By keeping my belongings off the easement I also do not lose my things to thieves.

I have had them knock, and I have had them simply stop and pick the stuff up from the easement.

Isn't it great how neighborhoods have their own microeconomies? I for one am glad for the Rule of the Curb. Even if it's not heavy trash, if I have something usable and no longer needed, I set it out on the curb. And in return I have taken stuff from the curb. A win-win.

Last week was my heavy trash and I accidentally left a shovel in the pile of splintered wood and broken cement, and someone who was curb-cruising actually put it back in my yard up by the shrubs, figuring it was in the pile mistakenly. I hope whomever returned the shovel finds something great curbside this month.

Our part of the Heights doesn't have curbs, but it was in the grass (where it's been for several years) on our property by the road. These guys knew it wasn't "trash". It wasn't next to the garbage, either.

Who puts a basketball goal post by the road, anyway? Don't people usually put those things in their driveways? Either off to the side of a driveway, or mounted on the roof, over the garage? Or maybe you or your kids are playing basketball in the street, and that's why it is by the road? I'm sure the neighbors love that. You should probably keep your junk closer to your house if you don't want people "stealing" it. Better yet, stay out of the road. It's safer.

When will this end? If a hispanic, black, white, blue, green man/woman steals your car off the streets,and claims he/she thought it was heavy trash, will you back them up? No..obviously not.

I want the Heights to be a place where kids can shoot basketballs in the street without waking up to see that Jose/John/Jamal has taken it along with the aluminum cans in the trash/recycle bin.

Please call your local authorities if you see someone taking your property without your permission, and send these people a message. Thank you Heightsite for doing the right thing.

When will this end? If a hispanic, black, white, blue, green man/woman steals your car off the streets,and claims he/she thought it was heavy trash, will you back them up? No..obviously not.

If my car looked like this...

122928240_ddafdd07c0.jpg?v=0

...and it was by the curb; I could understand why someone might think it is "heavy trash" and would certainly understand anyone trying to remove this eye sore and blight from the neighborhood. I would probably have to go out running to the street, begging the thiefs to at least take $200, in addition to the car, to remove it.

What was "stolen" - and returned - from the street was probably basketball goal version of the above. What an eye sore, piece of junk that must have been. How can you blame them? Also, keep your kids in your yard, it is safer for them.

I want the Heights to be a place where kids can shoot basketballs in the street without waking up to see that Jose/John/Jamal has taken it along with the aluminum cans in the trash/recycle bin.

Please call your local authorities if you see someone taking your property without your permission, and send these people a message. Thank you Heightsite for doing the right thing.

you can let oyur kids shoot hoops in the street, but much like your trash can, drag your goal back to your property and away from the easement when they are done. in fact, if they are old enough to play hoops in the street, they are old enough to drag their own goal back to the house and if it gets recycled b/c of their neglegence, let it be a lesson to them.

i also put salvageables out on the curb. it is a well known and standard practice for people to collect stuff from the curb. it just is. i don't even see why this is a debate.

its a slippery slope people. Todays it's the easment, tomorrow it's your garage.

um, not really. people intentionally put large unwanted but salvageable items on the easment. it's where our yard clippings, heavy trash and generally unwanted things go. it's not the same as your driveway or front porch. this is also not unique to the heights, to houston or to texas. we did this when i was growing up. i also know that my friend in san doego does it b/c she just emailed me a funny story abotu the stuff people will take when you leave it on the curb...

Isn't it great how neighborhoods have their own microeconomies? I for one am glad for the Rule of the Curb. Even if it's not heavy trash, if I have something usable and no longer needed, I set it out on the curb. And in return I have taken stuff from the curb. A win-win.

Last week was my heavy trash and I accidentally left a shovel in the pile of splintered wood and broken cement, and someone who was curb-cruising actually put it back in my yard up by the shrubs, figuring it was in the pile mistakenly. I hope whomever returned the shovel finds something great curbside this month.

Yep. It's called Freecycling, and I have been leaving things at the curb/easement for over 3 years in order to help the street economy. Things of little value, but still useful, I leave for others to take. It is my intent and GOAL for these items to be taken BEFORE the City of Houston hauls it away. I do not care if it is taken for personal use or by a scrap dealer to resell, because the item is still being recycled and reused. I have never had anything stolen by recyclers.

On my street, at least, there is room for kids to play basketball and for recyclers to pick up my junk. That is why I love my street. We seem to have fewer hangups than some other streets.

http://www.freecycle.org/about/background

Edited by RedScare

its a slippery slope people. Todays it's the easment, tomorrow it's your garage.

More like today from the easement, tonight from your garage! ;)

If that is indeed the case, I recommend a moat and tower. One can never be too careful.

OOooh, I call Wednesday nights manning the tower. I haven't made it to the range with my new .22 rifle, need some practice.

Edited by 20thStDad

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...article-6654359

Looks like the Heights is not the only neighborhood that is under assault!

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some residents in one of Houston's older neighborhoods said they are concerned about recent break-ins and they are worried crime is creeping a little too close to home.

A homeowner named Ellen has lived in Oak Forest for more than two decades, but it only took a few minutes for her sense of safety to change.

"Violated and angry. I'm angry now," she said.

Ellen's home was burglarized when the thieves broke in by kicking in a pet door.

"They took an antique pistol from World War II that my father had left to me. They're taking guns," said Ellen.

Ellen said she's not the only burglary victim on her street. Crimetracker numbers show that while violent crimes like assault decreased through 2008 in Oak Forest, burglaries and thefts were up around 40%.

Captain Ceaser Moore with the Houston Police Department's North Patrol attributes the increase to the crime spike during Hurricane Ike, but he added they are always working to decrease crime.

I saw the crawler on 13 this morning right after my husband had taken one of the dogs out for a walk. :o Upon online perusal, the area is where Oak Forest backs up to the Mangum Manor subdivision by Scarborough High. There is a gully that runs for a few blocks behind back yards that is apparently Getaway Alley - fence is jumped, back door kicked in and away they go, not visible to anyone except another neighbor conveniently in his/her backyard at the time or vehicles passing over the bridge on Antoine. Police are suspecting neighborhood school truants. Was hoping to find some more info on the OFHA website, but so far, nothing except someone making his usual informative sarcastic post about how "Messiah Obama" will fix it. :rolleyes:

We're in Section 1 near Ella, across T.C. Jester from this; not that we're going to be leaving the doors unlocked. However, if someone wants to brave two 85-lb. dogs and an alarm system (plus a Lee-Enfield .303 when we're home), there's not much we can do except sing "Que Sera Sera" and call our attorney if some moron breaks in and gets hurt.

Sheesh, huzzah for free expression of opinion, but I'm trying to find out about a recent crime incident in my neighborhood and how it might affect me. There are plenty of other places in which to express political dissatisfaction. I think this is the one who has been banned before for going out to lunch in threads.

If I hear anything informative, I'll post it. The Leader will probably have something next issue.

posted to heights kids group this morning:

oakridge/norhill:

I received this message from friends this morning: We saw a guy trying to break into cars tonight (Feb 18th) walking down our street. He was just pulling up handles, probably looking for an easy target. We called the cops and about 30 minutes later the cops called back and said they picked up the guy, that he had a bunch of other people's stuff with him.

Please pass this along to the heights email groups you may be part of. If someone's car was broken into tonight, chances are that this guy had your stuff, and now the cops have it. Remind your friends they need to report any suspicious activity to keep the cops patrolling our hood. The cops came by about 10 minutes after we called. Not bad.

posted to heights kids group this morning:

oakridge/norhill:

I received this message from friends this morning: We saw a guy trying to break into cars tonight (Feb 18th) walking down our street. He was just pulling up handles, probably looking for an easy target. We called the cops and about 30 minutes later the cops called back and said they picked up the guy, that he had a bunch of other people's stuff with him.

Please pass this along to the heights email groups you may be part of. If someone's car was broken into tonight, chances are that this guy had your stuff, and now the cops have it. Remind your friends they need to report any suspicious activity to keep the cops patrolling our hood. The cops came by about 10 minutes after we called. Not bad.

And to remind these dolts to take a class on how to lock car doors after they park them.