Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It made the Chron today:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/6243348.html

Looks like a packed house. Although, I'm still trying to understand the difference between a home invasion and a robbery. Is it an invasion when they don't end up actually stealing anything?

I bet SJL's office (and the mayor's office) is getting a lot of calls from other neighborhoods in her district, wanting to know when the police chief is going to come visit them, too.

Edited by crunchtastic

I was there. There wasn't a lot of useful information provided. In fact, Captain Holloway bent over backwards in trying to not talk about specific crimes. There were a lot of statistics bandied about. Two statistical tidbits of interest: 1) Burglaries are way up in the Heights compared to January of 2008, and 2) The 4 residential robberies so far this year compare to zero for January, 2008. I didn't take any notes, so if my recollection is flawed, perhaps someone can correct me.

When pressed about whether there was one suspect or multiple suspects in the home invasions, Captain Holloway did say something like (paraphrasing), "We don't think this is the start of some major serial action."

I gotta say though, Sheila's demeanor was surprisingly warm and genuine. She came across completely differently than the vibe she usually gives off. I can't say she won me over, but I could begin to see how she's gotten to where she is.

When you say that the Constable program is full swing, what do you mean exactly? Was there no contract in place before? Are all homes in the Heights under one set of deed restrictions and HOA board, or are there multiple sets? If so, was there any difficulty getting some on board with a contract?

How much is the contract costing you and how much coverage are you getting out of it (hours per day/days per week/weeks per year)?

For those that are interested, my system is computer based with 8 cameras and cost about $650 (self installed). The quality is not excellent, but you get what you pay for. I have pretty bad vision without my contacts in so if I hear a "bump" in the night, it's a lot easier for me to just pull up the cameras on my computer than to search around for my glasses or peek out the blinds while simultaneously using my fingers to "squint" my eyes into better focus.

I PM'd inquiring about your system. Would you be willing to post details about setting up a basic 1 or 2 camera system?

Another incident, this time in the 800 block of Waverly.

This morning at approximately 440 am, I was sitting in my downstairs study working. It faces the street and I had most of the lights on. Both of my dogs were also in the study. I never heard anyone approach, but my doorbell rang. There was a light skinned black person or dark skinned hispanic with facial hair standing at my door. Hard to tell how tall because he was kind of slouched. He had a blueish grey hoodie on. I could see him through the glass and he kept asking me to let him in that he lived down the street. I said no and told him to go away. He finally left and it appeared that he went towards my neighbors on the left but I never could see him go further down the street. I called the police and they responded within 10 minutes and proceeded to look for him around the street. I haven't heard anything back. He did not appear to be anyone I've seen before and the police officer said I did the right thing to call. The odd thing is I never heard my metal gate in front open or close which I normally do. Makes me think he was in the gate lurking around before he approached the door.

Regarding the camera systems;

I would highly suggest you be fairly discrete on the placement of some cameras and try to pick additional cameras that would be set on a sweet spot where faces could be ID'ed.

Additionally, if a worst case scenario happens, be sure you have a "fake" VCR out in the open and your DVR in a fairly hidden spot., that way they can snatch that instead of the real thing.

EPO on fondren is your electronic Disneyland.

another incident to be aware of, peeps:

This morning around 11:30 while at Woodland Park with my daughter, we were

approached by a man walking a dog who offered to sell us a teddy bear for

$3.00. I declined. He walked away and came back after a while, and asked

me some questions - seemed to be looking for parks, saying he was a kid's

entertainer. He gave us the teddy bear saying he had lots of them.

It just didn't feel right to me. If I saw this person again in or near a

park I would be inclined to keep my kids close.

Description: Caucasian, about 40 years old, wearing a dark hoodie and a

hat, with light colored pants. His dog was a small dog, white and tan,

walked with a limp. He was driving an older model van, gold in color with

brown striping, large tinted windows, chrome spare tire cover on the back,

and it said "Starcraft" on the side of the van near the rear. Plate JZG-743

I don't care who they are and what their story is: no man should approach me when I'm alone with my kids. And if they do, that's what I tell them, in no uncertain terms. They are not getting the time of day from me. Don't take chances.

Where is Woodland Park? We've stopped taking our child the park at the bayou and Studewood after my wife saw one of our friendly bums shooting something to his arm on the bleachers. We either go to the park at 7th and Heights or Proctor Plaza.

yankee- use this website and search 77008...there are 38 people. see if he is there and report his ass..

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DPS_WEB/S...rchType=Zipcode

another mom ran him and he is not in the system... yet. it's still up in the air whether or not this mom called the police. i wonder if they would take a report 3rd hand?

When you say that the Constable program is full swing, what do you mean exactly? Was there no contract in place before? Are all homes in the Heights under one set of deed restrictions and HOA board, or are there multiple sets? If so, was there any difficulty getting some on board with a contract?

How much is the contract costing you and how much coverage are you getting out of it (hours per day/days per week/weeks per year)?

Yeah, a little more info would be appreciated. When this has been discussed in the past, for example, not all areas were included. In the Houston Heights alone, i remember it being divided into people east of heights blvd and then everyone west of heights blvd were divided into North West and South west and all sorts of other confusing, contradiction...

forgive my poor wording, perhaps saying "interest is in full swing" would have been better. nothing has officially been established.

basically, there is a need for 250 homes per 2500. i believe that the heights has pretty much been divided in to quadrants based on the major subdivisions.

it costs $255 annually per participating household. this is for one full time (40 hours) constable and the patrol areas get to choose the time/days that the constable will patrol.

any and all areas can be included if they can get the 250 necessary committments. if you think your area is not currently included you can email Karen Derr (karen@karenderr.com) and tell her you are interested and are willing to spear head the effort for your neighborhood, which is what i am doing. the thing is, you need to have an "entity" that can sign the contract, so you should have a civic group/ HOA for your area that is willing to do so...

as far as proctor plaza, it's still open as to whether or not the PPNA will sign the contract for residents. however, the dissenters do not think we will get the 250 we need out of the 8500 homes in the area. name gathering to prove them wrong is what is needed at this time for this part of the heights.

This is what Shady Acres wanted to do:

The Precinct One Contract Deputy Program is designed to provide a highly visible, responsive, crime prevention-oriented neighborhood patrol function.

The main objectives of this program are crime prevention and immediate police services to the Shady Acres neighborhood.

A Precinct One deputy will be exclusively assigned to the Shady Acres community. A security fee will be assessed to SACC. Residents will then pay the SACC and therefore SACC will pay the Harris County Constable Program. Fees are split 80% by SACC and 20% by Harris County. The fee pays for the deputy salary, vehicle, and the cost of insurance. The SACC base cost is $63,000. The security schedule is 52 weeks, 40 hours per week, 8 hours per day, 5 consecutive days of work, and 2 consecutive days off. SACC must select either the day, night or early morning shift.

Why signup with the Deputy Program?

Did I understand that the area which was hit at E 12 1/2 was under the area which Karen Derr already has a functioning constable? What was the constable's response to this crime?

Don't think they ever got started on the first constable. Goal was 1st of year, but don't know that it actually started for that one area.

At 8am this morning (2/9/09), two Hispanic men in there late 30s or early 40s were stealing our basketball goal in front of our house. They were driving an F350 extended cab, license plate 72CZL7. They claimed they thought the goal post was heavy trash. Be on the lookout for them as they had a truck full of "heavy trash".

Our part of the Heights doesn't have curbs, but it was in the grass (where it's been for several years) on our property by the road. These guys knew it wasn't "trash". It wasn't next to the garbage, either.

heavy trash shouldn't be placed near the garbage so that the trucks have full access. are you sure it's your property or is it a city easement? if it is an easement, the HPD has been known to ticket the homeowner esp if they received complaints.

At 8am this morning (2/9/09), two Hispanic men in there late 30s or early 40s were stealing our basketball goal in front of our house. They were driving an F350 extended cab, license plate 72CZL7. They claimed they thought the goal post was heavy trash. Be on the lookout for them as they had a truck full of "heavy trash".

If you were able to talk to them, and they said, "OH, we thought it was heavy trash." I am assuming that they unloaded the goal and put it back for you ? Have you alerted the police in this matter ? Sounds like you got the goods ont hem, Lic. plate and all. Should be an easy case to crack.

If you were able to talk to them, and they said, "OH, we thought it was heavy trash." I am assuming that they unloaded the goal and put it back for you ? Have you alerted the police in this matter ? Sounds like you got the goods ont hem, Lic. plate and all. Should be an easy case to crack.

Yes, they put the goal post back, a police report has been filed and I just wanted to alert other neighbors to these guys. I'm pretty confident that they didn't think it was heavy trash and, judging by the numerous items in the back of their pickup, have been canvassing the area for free, easily accessable merchandise. BTW, today is not heavy trash day for us.

Sounds like a couple of enterprising people to me. How can you be certain they did not think you set it out for trash. People do it all the time. A person could make some decent money going around and picking up things people set to the curb and reselling them at a yard sale I'm sure. It sounds like the goal was at the street. Times are tough my friend and people could very well be resorting to recycling people's percieved trash.

It's the old "One man's trash is another man's treasure."