Empty Land In South Houston Off Highway 288

I am referring to the land off 288 between the loop and the beltway. If you ever drive down here it is pretty much undeveloped on either side of the freeway.

Why do you think this is? I have heard it may be a drainage issue. From what I understand this area includes South Acres and Sunnyside. As Pearland develops this area will seem even more vacant.

I have always wondered when or if this land will develop.

I've always heard this area has too many strikes against it. First are the flooding issues with Sims bayou. Second, parts of the land is unfit for development anyway since a lot of oil was pumped out of the ground there decades ago, and finally, you would have to drive past some pretty depressed neighborhoods to reach anything.

That said, there is more back there than you think. 288 has minimal frontage roads which supress the kind of stuff you see on the rest of Houston's freeways....

http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/photos...1_july_99.shtml

Well, 288 is actually an enjoyable drive. There isnt too much traffic, you can go fast, and there is a really great view of all the Houston skylines.

• The title was changed to Empty Land In South Houston Off Highway 288