Westbury Water Works At 11655 Chimney Rock Rd.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper The Bellaire Texan dated July 30, 1958 and noticed in an article mention of Westbury Water District located at 11655 Chimney Rock Road.

Looking on old images, I can definitely see a bunch of round water treatment tanks. 

The circular tanks were first around in 1957 and disappeared in 1973.  I guess in 1973 the Chimney Rock Park and Community Center was built.

Looking at present-day satellite images, in the back of the Chimney Rock Park, I can see 1 round tank and 2 cylindrical towers.  I wonder if the Westbury Water Works was just downsized, remodeled, and relocated. 

Willow Meadows Chapel Offers Lecture Series

A week long lecture series, "Operation Understanding," will be held next week under the sponsorship of Willow Meadows Baptist. 

The series, open to the public, will feature Dr. J.W. MacGorman of Fort Worth and will be held nightly at 7:30 p.m. at the Westbury Water District auditorium, 11655 Chimney Rock. --

YyjZbhS.png

1957:

Spoiler

36esq2b.png

1973:

Spoiler

3hdliPY.png

Was the infamous Westbury Water Tower apart of the Westbury Water Works?  I see so many people associate the water tower to Westbury High School.  Did the high school have it's own water supply tower?

Looking at the photograph more, that's' probably a school backed up to the water tower? How weird.

PSDRjb3.jpg

I'm sure the school didn't have its own water supply tower, the water to the school just came from this source.  I'm sure the signage was just advertising the subdivision.  People just associated the tower with the school because it was visible to so many.  I grew up in the Meredith Manor subdivision in the Hiram Clarke area.  We had a "sister" water tower to the Westbury one which is on West Orem and White Heather, just across the street from Madison High School.  People also associated this tower to Madison.  I could be wrong but many years later this tower was painted blue, possibly because blue was one of Madison's colors.  Anyway, when we were very young (late 60's/early 70's) this tower had HOLIDAY HILLS painted on the top part of the tower.   We, the kids, assumed the subdivision was previously named Holiday Hills just as Westbury was painted on the top of their tower.  Years later I asked an old-time resident about this, and she informed me when the subdivision was first built (early 60's) it had its own water company, The Holiday Hills Water Company.

Loved the vintage pic of the tower, thanks!  I would kill to see one for the original Holiday Hills tower.

Edited by EspersonBuildings
  • Like 1