Pine Shadows Trailer Court At 8080 South Main St.

Highrise Tower

I was reading the newspaper The Bellaire & Southwestern Texan dated October 28, 1970 and came across a classified listing for Pine Shadows Trailer Court at 8080 South Main Street.

Anyone remember this place? Were there multiple trailer parks a long South Main? 

1956 Mobile Home, all metal 47x8, furnished, 2 bedrooms, good condition. Reasonable. 667-4939. 8080 South Main. Pine Shadows Trailer Court.

gh9AHPI.png

• 7 months later...

Found a very clear image of this RV trailer park! A clue to the search is there is a tower tower on the edge of the property.  You often see it in old Astrodome aerials.

Aerial photograph of the Houston Astrodome, also known as the Harris County Domed Stadium, shortly after it opened.
July 2, 1965

58yXLpE.jpg

Looks like that road is McNee Road. Very cool!

xu98SeM.jpg

I ate Egg fu Yung in an RV there, ca. 1979-80.  My parents retired to Oregon in '78 but came back regularly in their RV to visit friends and family.  I had never noticed the place when driving by.  My parents moved back to Texas after about 4 years; they found Oregonians unwelcoming, and not just to Californicators, as a famous highway sign declared.  They also just missed lifelong friends and family.  Lacking much social life out there, my mother took cooking classes.  She was showing off a dish she'd never made before when I was living at home 😄

• Like 1

That park was known as the Ace Trailer Village before it was Pine Shadows. It was mostly semi-permanent trailer homes, rather than RVs. It was just north of Lee's Den (Chinese restaurant).

There was another trailer park on the east side of South Main, just south of the intersection with OST. The name escapes me now.

• Like 1

I am not certain of the name of the place where my parents parked for a few days; I'm remembering it was south of OST on Main and on the east side of Main.  I had never noticed it; at that time, the entrance was shrouded by foliage.  I guess we don't even see the entrance on Main in the pic above.  Yes, my parents RV was one of the few I saw but they were right close to the entrance so I didn't get into the park very far.  I'm sure they learned of the place's existence from a guidebook of some sort.

• Like 1