Wilson Tower: 45-Story Residential

Urbannizer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2023/04/23/wilson-tower-upper-half-gone-updated-plans.html

"The downtown apartment tower’s original plans would have made it the tallest building in all of Texas at 1,035 feet tall, but new plans call for a trimming of floors: from 80 to 45, Wilson Capital President Taylor Wilson said. The developer — which is bringing online thousands new apartments across the metro — returned to the drawing board for its most ambitious project in the area after the city of Austin’s Design Commission did not approve of the high-rise’s original design during a January review.

Add to that the current poor conditions for many commercial real estate developers, and it yields a building pegged for 410 E. Fifth St. that will still be significant to the downtown skyline — but it won't be a super-tall by this city's standards. "

hks410e5thstview1wilsontowersd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2023/04/23/wilson-tower-upper-half-gone-updated-plans.html

"The downtown apartment tower’s original plans would have made it the tallest building in all of Texas at 1,035 feet tall, but new plans call for a trimming of floors: from 80 to 45, Wilson Capital President Taylor Wilson said. The developer — which is bringing online thousands new apartments across the metro — returned to the drawing board for its most ambitious project in the area after the city of Austin’s Design Commission did not approve of the high-rise’s original design during a January review.

Add to that the current poor conditions for many commercial real estate developers, and it yields a building pegged for 410 E. Fifth St. that will still be significant to the downtown skyline — but it won't be a super-tall by this city's standards. "

Hmmmm... Who coulda guessed something like this could ever happen to this project . . . in Austin?  😉

FWIW, at 45 stories, that still would be a very good-looking building (much nicer, IMHO, than their under-construction supertall), but I still wouldn't bet the grocery money on it happening.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Hmmmm... Who coulda guessed something like this could ever happen to this project . . . in Austin?  😉

FWIW, at 45 stories, that still would be a very good-looking building (much nicer, IMHO, than their under-construction supertall), but I still wouldn't bet the grocery money on it happening.

^^^ hmmmmm... we're definitely used to witnessing stunning value engineering and development downsizing circumstances like this in H-TOWN.  however, IN AUSTIN, TX?  (the initial SUPERTALL concept/renderings were absolutely MAGNIFICENT.  a million times better than the current 45x story pronouncement)  therefore, i shall not believe it, until i actually see it...

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2023 at 11:50 AM, Houston19514 said:

Can we change the thread name to reflect the downsizing of this building to 45 stories?  I wonder if that was just a "for-show" groundbreaking or have they actually started construction?  Looks kinda like the former.

The site is fenced off for demo and site prep, and a ROW closure permit lists an 08/14 start.  But the developer only has approval for Demo and site prep at this point.  The tower is still going through the approval process.  The new height is 519'.

Edited by The Hills
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Wilson Tower: 45-Story Residential
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 11:55 PM, The Hills said:

The site is fenced off for demo and site prep, and a ROW closure permit lists an 08/14 start.  But the developer only has approval for Demo and site prep at this point.  The tower is still going through the approval process.  The new height is 519'.

Austonians on SkyscraperPage reported in early August that the fence was all taken down.  I think the smart money is still against this one happening any time soon.

23 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Austonians on SkyscraperPage reported in early August that the fence was all taken down.  I think the smart money is still against this one happening any time soon.

It's Austinites. 🙂 I was one of the skeptical posters on SSP. The fence was put up prematurely for the groundbreaking.  It had to be removed because the ROW closures weren't permitted until 08/14.  I can't confirm if the fences are back up.  Someone who works for the development team informed me that demo is still happening.  They'll be a lot of time spent on asbestos abatement.  The site plan was split in two - one for demo/site prep which was approved, and one for the tower which is not yet approved.  This is not high up on the list of the most significant projects in the works.  So I don't have any real interest as to whether or not this actually gets built. But I still like it even though it's not a supertall.

On 8/19/2023 at 4:16 PM, The Hills said:

It's Austinites. 🙂 I was one of the skeptical posters on SSP. The fence was put up prematurely for the groundbreaking.  It had to be removed because the ROW closures weren't permitted until 08/14.  I can't confirm if the fences are back up.  Someone who works for the development team informed me that demo is still happening.  They'll be a lot of time spent on asbestos abatement.  The site plan was split in two - one for demo/site prep which was approved, and one for the tower which is not yet approved.  This is not high up on the list of the most significant projects in the works.  So I don't have any real interest as to whether or not this actually gets built. But I still like it even though it's not a supertall.

Per the locals posting on SSP, as of yesterday, no fence.  The Austin Business Journal reported yesterday that the developer said demolition of the existing structure on the site will start in the "next week or so", and they "aim to start construction in November" -- FWIW.

• 4 months later...

GLENN HART on LinkedIn: #morein24 #survivetill25

"**UPDATE** Currently it appears developer has installed irrigation on entire site and growing grass; assuming to be allowed to bring the construction fencing down...

Essentially putting the project on INDEFINITE HOLD while it reevaluates the current hi-rise residential market."

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

GLENN HART on LinkedIn: #morein24 #survivetill25

"**UPDATE** Currently it appears developer has installed irrigation on entire site and growing grass; assuming to be allowed to bring the construction fencing down...

Essentially putting the project on INDEFINITE HOLD while it reevaluates the current hi-rise residential market."

Shocking.  (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)