hope your day goes well !

Just wondering if anyone as any more recent updates on the following :

Studewood Construction ?

Target Development ?

New Heights restaurants ?

Neighborhood development

Thank You

"make it a great day"

I'd like to add a question: what happened to La Fondita at 20th? They had pretty good eats, but last time I passed by (few days ago) it was dark. Guess they couldn't survive? If anyone knows what happened to this place and the chef, I'd appreciate the info.

Studewood is completely paved from White Oak to 11th. The east side still needs curbs. Based on how quickly they curbed the west side, I'm guessing that section is only a couple of weeks from being open to traffic.

Target has walls and has been roofed. A previous post said there was a sign saying it would open in July. I haven't seen that sign, but that sounds about right.

Don't know of any new Heights restaurants, but I am advising someone on a bar and grill very near the Heights. If it pans out, I will definitely let the board know. (skwatra, I'll try to get them to make phillies ;) )

Good Morning,

hope your day goes well !

Just wondering if anyone as any more recent updates on the following :

Studewood Construction ?

Target Development ?

New Heights restaurants ?

Neighborhood development

Thank You

"make it a great day"

I would like to add another question. Does anyone have updates on the bike trail on Nicholson. Is it still to begin construction in March? Will construction begin on the south end or north end?

Thanks.

Target has walls and has been roofed. A previous post said there was a sign saying it would open in July. I haven't seen that sign, but that sounds about right.

When the Target deal was first announced there was a lot of talk about it being this hip urban "lifestyle" center that would "fit in architecturally with the Heights" and "encourage walking from shop to shop". From what I see now at the construction site, it looks to be just like any other Target anchored strip center in Suburbia, USA, replete with acres of concrete and little space for trees. Hopefully, looks are deceiving. Anyone have any updates on the design????

Don't know of any new Heights restaurants, but I am advising someone on a bar and grill very near the Heights. If it pans out, I will definitely let the board know. (skwatra, I'll try to get them to make phillies ;) )

I'm curious about new "bar and grill" joints. When you look at the new places that have done gangbuster business in the Heights, like Onion Creek or Collinas, they are kinda based around the laid-back, retro, "it's like Berkeley or Austin in the old days" theme. Yet several new places in the Heights, like 6th St. Bar & Grill, or the lovely Beer Garden, seem to be just generic anywhere bars, and, as such, don't seem to do much business. Makes me wonder what these folks were thinking...

I'd like to add a question: what happened to La Fondita at 20th? They had pretty good eats, but last time I passed by (few days ago) it was dark. Guess they couldn't survive? If anyone knows what happened to this place and the chef, I'd appreciate the info.

I wen't there last week and talking to the guy/owner....he said that his partner/brother left and his newly hired cook did too. He said he's been doing it all himslef. When we were there he was the host, waiter, cook, server...and he did a fantastic job.

He said right now with the construction and the lack of help, he just closes sometimes to get some rest.

He also mentioned some changes they might be making including changing the name.

Either way, if anyone is curous, La Fondita is fantasic food and very competitive pricing. Highly recommended.

I'm curious about new "bar and grill" joints. When you look at the new places that have done gangbuster business in the Heights, like Onion Creek or Collinas, they are kinda based around the laid-back, retro, "it's like Berkeley or Austin in the old days" theme. Yet several new places in the Heights, like 6th St. Bar & Grill, or the lovely Beer Garden, seem to be just generic anywhere bars, and, as such, don't seem to do much business. Makes me wonder what these folks were thinking...

That's an interesting observation. I tend to agree that 6th street and Beer Island are really not the most compelling destinations, there's really nothing wrong with them, just nothing great about them. From what I read you attribute that to a lack of a "laid back" feel. Out of curiosity -- what would you (or anyone on this board) do to change either 6th street or Beer Island to make them more interesting? I've got no stake in either of those places - just really interested by what makes a good bar a great bar. I know one when I'm there but I'm not always able to expound on what made it that way.....

That's an interesting observation. I tend to agree that 6th street and Beer Island are really not the most compelling destinations, there's really nothing wrong with them, just nothing great about them. From what I read you attribute that to a lack of a "laid back" feel. Out of curiosity -- what would you (or anyone on this board) do to change either 6th street or Beer Island to make them more interesting? I've got no stake in either of those places - just really interested by what makes a good bar a great bar. I know one when I'm there but I'm not always able to expound on what made it that way.....

Beer Island looks to much like a hang out for Frat Boys. I just can't see myself hanging out there. I have been to 6th St B&G several times. It's ok, but the TVs aren't big enough for it to be a sports bar and the service hasn't been great. I think it will stick around though. It's a cute re-do of an old, empty gas station... I just think Beer Island is an eye sore. It would do better if it went with a W Alabama Ice House feel...

I hang at the 6th fairly often. The TVs aren't huge (42"), but they are HD flat screens, so the picture is sweet. The service is good for me because they know me. I agree that they should pay attention to the new faces as well. The best service tends to be at the bar, the worst at the tables.

It is a really nice renovation of a dumpy filling station. My only complaint is that sound bounces off the walls. Beer Island, I haven't been to yet, because I'm a rum man, but incredibly, it is still an improvement over what was there.

As for what makes a place work? Above all, it must be comfortable, both in feel and service. Onion Creek is a comfy joint, but the service is HORRIBLE. Heights Social Lounge is a bad layout, but worse, the owners and staff don't care. Shiloh is an absolute dump, but the people are great in a very off-beat way. Berryhill is only 2 blocks from my house, but unfortunately, the bar is not very comfortable. Some of the staff is good, some not so much.

I think in time, 6th will mature as a neighborhood bar. The owner is there often and knows what he's doing. Some nights they have great crowds. Others are dead. They need to work to gain consistency.

OH, and did they ruin King Bisquit with their foufy redo a couple of years back, OR WHAT? That place had the perfect vibe to it, until the owners decided to go "upscale". The redo is OK, but the vibe is gone.

This is making me thirsty. I think I'll go 6th for a Cap'n Morgan and Coke. :P

Edited by RedScare

since everyone is asking "whatever happened to....." I have a few to add..

In my area, I have been wondering what will happen with the old HEB on 11th and the old CVS on 11th/yale..

I haven't seen this specific rumor over here, but over on the Woodland Heights board they were talking about the old HEB becoming a 24 hour fitness...which apparently fell through because of issues with the leasing negotiations (??)

I am having a hard time figuring out what the old HEB could become...Even though a Whole Foods would be awsome..I doubt they would like to give up their beer and wine department...

Ok, so it can't sell booze...(so restaurants and grocery stores are probably out)

so some type of non food retail? bookstore? petstore?

or *gasp* townhomes?

since everyone is asking "whatever happened to....." I have a few to add..

In my area, I have been wondering what will happen with the old HEB on 11th and the old CVS on 11th/yale..

Ok, so it can't sell booze...(so restaurants and grocery stores are probably out)

so some type of non food retail? bookstore? petstore?

or *gasp* townhomes?

I have often thought that townhomes, yes townhomes, would be a great alternative to these empty retail spaces. I don't see whatelse they are trully viable for with little business/retails districts becoming very distinct in the neighborhood. Maybe that will give the developers something to focus on rather than tearing down perfectly good housing to fit 4 on 1 lot...

I hang at the 6th fairly often. The TVs aren't huge (42"), but they are HD flat screens, so the picture is sweet. The service is good for me because they know me. I agree that they should pay attention to the new faces as well. The best service tends to be at the bar, the worst at the tables.

It is a really nice renovation of a dumpy filling station. My only complaint is that sound bounces off the walls. Beer Island, I haven't been to yet, because I'm a rum man, but incredibly, it is still an improvement over what was there.

As for what makes a place work? Above all, it must be comfortable, both in feel and service. Onion Creek is a comfy joint, but the service is HORRIBLE. Heights Social Lounge is a bad layout, but worse, the owners and staff don't care. Shiloh is an absolute dump, but the people are great in a very off-beat way. Berryhill is only 2 blocks from my house, but unfortunately, the bar is not very comfortable. Some of the staff is good, some not so much.

I think in time, 6th will mature as a neighborhood bar. The owner is there often and knows what he's doing. Some nights they have great crowds. Others are dead. They need to work to gain consistency.

OH, and did they ruin King Bisquit with their foufy redo a couple of years back, OR WHAT? That place had the perfect vibe to it, until the owners decided to go "upscale". The redo is OK, but the vibe is gone.

OK- well, the Shiloh is a great place! I spend many a Sunday afternoon there and everyone is so friendly. How are they better than 6th? $1.25 Miller Lights- that's how :lol:

I hear you about 6th though. I was going there pretty regularly for the World Series. The bartender was great, but I ended up waiting on us and our friends from ther bar. He tried to help but was slammed. The waitress didn't even seem to notice a customer carrying plates of food and beers around...

We had never been to King Buiscuit but heard so much about it. Then, when we finlly made it over there, we were like "Eh."

I think we need to start a letter writing campaign to DaCappo's to make them have better hours! <_<

I have often thought that townhomes, yes townhomes, would be a great alternative to these empty retail spaces. I don't see whatelse they are trully viable for with little business/retails districts becoming very distinct in the neighborhood. Maybe that will give the developers something to focus on rather than tearing down perfectly good housing to fit 4 on 1 lot...

My wish, since I live across the street, is that it would become a mini Whole Foods. I know, it is a pipe dream but it isn't that much smaller than the old store on Shepherd by the Bookstop. I really miss having a grocery there. I thought when I moved in it looked ugly, but I came to love the convenience.

I doubt anyone in the neighborhood would oppose a Whole Foods up here. In fact, the one on W Alabama can be so busy and annoying, I bet a lot of the Montrose (and even some RO folks) would make the jaunt up here to shop. It would probably do very well! The reality is I can't see it- the wine thing is just one reason why.

That being said, it would be nice to see McCains Market expand their selection and become an independent, full service grocer in The Heights (but maintain their buy fresh... go local principles)... Gawd- I hope the people from McCain's read these threads. We are all about improving their business here! lol

As for what makes a place work? Above all, it must be comfortable, both in feel and service. Onion Creek is a comfy joint, but the service is HORRIBLE.

Agree that the service at Onion Creek is shite, but the place is always packed. Just goes to show that atmosphere trumps service any day...on the subject of 6th St, the place just doesn't look real inviting from the curb. The patio seems to spill into the parking lot, and the inside looks - from the outside, that is - a bit dark and closed off. It may be a good place, but it doesn't haven't the drawing power of Onion Creek. I do hope it makes it, however.

It may be regressing to the old days. I went there for dinner just before Christmas. The waitress brought us menus, but we she asked for our order, she said they only had hot dogs and a steak special. I ordered the steak special with fries. It came with some sort of potatoes au gratin. I asked her what it was. She said "Dunno. Be glad you got it. I think the chef is high" and she proceeded to make the international sign language symbol for smoking a spliff. But the waitress was so friendly and "trippy" (and the beer always got replenished in time) that the whole experience was rather enjoyable. The food wasn't the best but it wasn't bad either.

There are so many locations that could be great OC alternatives in the neighborhood. I drive around all the time and think how many lots are going to waste. Ugh...

The good news is downtown is about to get a huge infusion of stuff. Apparently, 3 surface lots were bought up and are going to be a bunch of retail, restaurant and lofts. A stronger, more urban downtown district will trickle in to the Heights. I think it's a very positive thing!