Humble Service Station On Old Spanish Trl. At Old Main Street Rd.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper The Bellaire Citizen dated September 21, 1950 and came across a business ad for Humble Service Station located on Old Spanish Trail at Old Main Street Road.

Pretty cool! Humble gas stations are no long around.  Seems this was the grand opening as the ad says "They'll be orchids for the ladies at the opening of the new Humble Service Station - Gala Opening Saturday."

Looks like the manager was W.G. Lopas, Jr. Agent.

I forget if there's a gas station there today?

uv88a5f.png

• Like 1

Humble is now Exxon. One of the reasons Jersey Standard changed its name was to be able to harmonize station names. It was operating stations under the names Humble, Enco, Esso, Carter, and some others, before the Exxon name was created. That allowed Jersey Standard to operate with one name across the US, where Esso was a trademark for other former Standard companies after the anti-trust break up in the early 20th Century. Overseas, there are still Esso stations.

I do not think this Humble station is still there. Old Main Street Road is long gone, subsumed by Fannin except for a short stretch near Holcombe.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Humble Service Station On Old Spanish Trl. At Old Main Street Rd.